SoDak's M101A2 build

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Sway control comes with the tow package on the JK but I believe I read somewhere that 2013-on it comes standard regardless of whether or not you have the tow package.

Sounds like you do have something going on in your front end. Always a pain tracking that stuff down, BTDT!! Good luck!

Mine is a 2014. Pretty sure it is up front. I have had the tie rods/trackbar/drag link on and off several times due to some upgrades up there. Just haven't upgraded them yet...lol. I thought i read it does have sway control. I look at it as an opportunity to upgrade... :).

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Just a quick update...No real additional build progress at this point.

Referring to the issues I was having above, I discovered that my pitman arm had loosened up. It was not installed by me and it evidently was not torqued correctly. Tightened it up and traction control has not gone off since. I have however made a mod to interrupt the traction control subsequent to that for other reasons, but have not used that either.

No real mods to the trailer at this point since my last post. I have designed and started on the new rack. I have the steel cut and drilled for the rack supports and have started on the mounting plates but that is it.. However, I did put new fenders on the Jeep.

Will probably be after the new year before I am able to really focus on it again as we are selling our house and moving across town. I have spent way too much time on toys over the years and have to do some work on the house to get it ready to sell. In the process of remodeling our bathroom and finishing up the kids.

Trailer has been used of course. It is a great utility trailer as I no longer have a pickup. great for picking up supplies and making runs to the dump for sure. We have done a few more camping trips, but nothing offroad yet. Missing one this weekend due to projects.

doors.jpg

Attachments

• trailermen.jpg
    trailermen.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 88
  • julycamp.jpg
    julycamp.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 82

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Scored a set of brand new factory sport takeoffs from a friend (on this forum and others). Exact same diameter, but wider than the current set. Just in time too. The drivers side is finally about ready to give it up.

Sourced the axle locally for about $285(got veterans discount) with electric brakes. 61" wide and 1.5" spacers will get the track width I want, or at least close enough. Actually I still have to put it all together. Need to figure out how to make the parking brakes work as well,. Spacers are on the list too.

Attachments

• OEM wheel.jpg
    OEM wheel.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 272

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Spacers are in. I know I will need to machine the center, but have a lathe at work and our maint manager has one at home so shouldn't be a problem getting that done. Wanted to stay hub centric, and went with 2" spacers so I have enough meat in them depthwise once they are machined.

Axle is backordered at local dealer. Early Jan before restock. No time to put it in anyway right now. Too many other projects.

Just remembered I need to pick up the dexter brakes with the parking brake attachment. Effectively doubles the cost of each side.

OH, also picked up this HF tongue box last week with a 25% off super coupon. Not bad for $100 all in.

Attachments

• spacers.jpg
    spacers.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 29
  • tongue box.jpg
    tongue box.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Got all the axle components picked up. Hopefully have time to start assembling this weekend. Have a lot going on though....

Still working on getting the spacers machined. Our lathe is down at work, so looking at having a local shop do it for me.

Out the door with u bolt kit, tax included it was $306.

Attachments

• Trailer axle.jpg
    Trailer axle.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 41

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Got my spacers picked up from the machine shop. My goal was to be able to save the hub centric ring, and he was able to do that and leave enough meat that it'll be structurally sound. Really got a deal on it as he had to press out the studs to get it in the chuck and he spent a lot of time unclamping it and test fitting to take as little off as possible. Very happy with how they turned out. Here is the kicker..... $20 total cost. He does do a bunch of work for us at work so I am sure that came into play. He is really more of a sheet metal fabricator, but kind of a jack of all trades.

I honestly expected to pay about $100.

Now to find time to put it all together.

Attachments

• hubs.jpg
    hubs.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 29

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
Greetings, just finished reading your thread. Nice work so far. I'm building an M116a3 into an overland RTT trailer to pull behind my JK. I see we had the same idea on modifying the tongue. Wish I'd read this sooner would've saved me some time brainstorming how I wanted to do it.

20180219_160042.jpg

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Looks familiar!!!! Nice work.

Unfortunately I am at a standstill for a bit as we are in the process of moving. All my parts are still sitting just like they were 3 weeks ago.

Think my wife would kill me if i took time to work on the trailer right now.

dstock

Explorer
When you do get back to work on it, do yourself a favor and seal the 4 holes in the corners at the bottom of the tongue box with a bit of silicone. It's shocking how much trail dust can get in there! Also, I had to adjust the lid to seal tightly as well which can be done at the latching point.

Moving sucks...good luck!

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
When you do get back to work on it, do yourself a favor and seal the 4 holes in the corners at the bottom of the tongue box with a bit of silicone. It's shocking how much trail dust can get in there! Also, I had to adjust the lid to seal tightly as well which can be done at the latching point.

Moving sucks...good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I noticed the holes.

this moving thing has been going on forever. Slow and painful. We are buying my inlaws house and it is a mile away. We've been in ours for 22 years. Amazing how much stuff you can accumulate, especially when you build a 20 x 28 two story shop building on the property.

dstock

Explorer

this moving thing has been going on forever. Slow and painful. We are buying my inlaws house and it is a mile away. We've been in ours for 22 years. Amazing how much stuff you can accumulate, especially when you build a 20 x 28 two story shop building on the property.

Damn! Would be tough to leave a 2 story shop...period! Good luck!

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior

I feel your pain. My last house was on 2 acres and secluded. Also had a 30x40 pole barn with an automotive lift. Here I'm working out of our 2 car attached garage and competing with my wife's car for space. She's not a big fan of parking outside in our Michigan winter.
Dstock: I read though and subscribed to your build thread as well, great job.
You guys have inspired me to start a thread of my own. If nothing else it will help to write my ideas out and maybe get some suggestions from those who have already traveled down this path. Please feel free to post up.
Cheers, Bruce

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Ok, the move is finally complete. We closed just under two weeks ago and are now in the new house, but yet to close on it. Hopefully next week. The owner is graciously letting us live there rent free till close(father in law's house). So have made a bit of progress. I mounted the harbor freight tongue box I have had since December finally. Had to get my nutzert tool back too. Too many friend projects. Every single piece was moved out of the house with the trailer, no moving van at all. Took several months...thankful we are buying from family and the new house was unoccupied.

Started on the axle this week. Have had it in the garage since Jan. Tools are still hidden and at a premium but managed to cobble together enough equipment to pull the old axle. Mocked up the new and got measurements to weld on the spring perches (no pic). Will have to fab up some new shock mounts. Did get the new wheel and tire propped up to mock up the trailer. Here are a few pics of the progress.nutzerts.jpgbox.jpgmove.jpgno axle.jpgmock up.jpg

dstock

Explorer
Looking good!

I cut the shock mounts off the old axle and re-used them on the new axle. I ordered a 3" axle tube (same diameter as the original) and the u-bolts hold them in place so you don't have to weld them to the axle.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Pulled springs this weekend and cleaned and painted them. Axle bolted up(not pictured). Should get the rest done tomorrow...at least to make it a roller again.
58bb9e64ac1abfa66fa66a05b68ea039.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles