Help with complex Back up light wiring idea

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I am attempting to wire a back up light/s. But to be difficult I want to do it my way. The question is how do I do it my way? I would like the operation of the back up lamp to be based on the following conditions. Condition 1. is that the back up light cannot come on without the parking lamps being on. Condition 2. is that the back up lights must come on when the reverse lamps come on but only when condition 1. is met first. This will save using back up lights for when it is dark. Condition 3. I also want the back up lights to be over ridden and controlled by a dash switch, allowing me to use the lamp w/o having the vehicle in revere (trailer hookup, bike loading, etc.).

I know I will likely have to use (2) 5 pin relays I just don't know how to make this work.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayra

Expedition Leader
You will have to lay out your wiring and relays to reflect the 'circuit logic' you've described. The parking lights enable a relay, which in turn controls the signal from your backup lights to the relay controlling the main power to your aux backup lights. Then on top of that you have another signal wire to that aux backup relay, coming from your dash switch.
And you put diodes (in electronics a diode is a one-way gate) on both of the signal wires at the aux relay, which will prevent power backfeeding either circuit, preventing your factory backup light sfrom coming on when you hit your dash switch. And your dash switch wiring won't be hot when you are in reverse.

D

Deleted member 96197

Personally, I would just add a set of switch controlled rear lights, but that's not what you want, so here's how I would go about it. Although there are a few ways to do this.
One 4 pin relay and one 5 pin relay.
Set up the 4 pin just like any switch controlled light set up.
Set up the 5 pin for your if/then condition with the parking lights.
Finally, use a diode on each circuit to keep them separated.
Hit me up later over PM if you want to go this way and need a diagram.

D

Deleted member 96197

Someone got to it before me, but similar idea

D

Deleted member 96197

Not to speak on the OP's behalf, but I interpreted him to mean that he didn't want the aux backup lights to come on without the parking lamps on, the stock ones would still work with both the wiring recommendations

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Not to speak on the OP's behalf, but I interpreted him to mean that he didn't want the aux backup lights to come on without the parking lamps on, the stock ones would still work with both the wiring recommendations

Your interpretation was correct.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Use the current reverse light wires to power up a relay coil. Use the power from the parking light circuit to power your reverse lights through said relays contacts (assuming your parking light circuit has enough ampacity to handle the new lights). Use a switch to open the wires between the relay coil and the reverse wires.

That's the simplest setup I can think of, with a simple 12v hella relay or generic version.

Personally, I'd skip condition 2. Who cares if the lights come on during the day? And then maybe I'd pull power from the battery directly instead of the parking light circuit because I'd use HUGE reverse lights if I was going to go through all of this trouble.

Vatozone was able to find me 12v bulbs with a higher than normal wattage for my reverse light on my Superduty. It helped a little.

Last edited:

james1422

just a thought, if you had a 3 position switch you could accomplish what your looking for except for the lights only working when the parking lights are on.

a simple (on) off (on) switch would work.

got this picture off the web, but explains exactly what i was thinking

attachment.php?attachmentid=596223&d=1423576028.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
just a thought, if you had a 3 position switch you could accomplish what your looking for except for the lights only working when the parking lights are on.

a simple (on) off (on) switch would work.

got this picture off the web, but explains exactly what i was thinking

View attachment 385511

I had not thought of that. Thanks for the input.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I hope the fuse wont exceed the ampacity of the 20 gauge conductors shown.
Fwiw, 20 awg fusing current is around 55 amps, But obviously thats well beyond the point of damaging condition.
Of course placements of these devices can reduce hazards implied, But thats not typical of vehicle install practice.

But who am I to mention good electrical practice ?
I know for a fact nothing unfortunate will happen to me. I dont insure my house or cars and definitely dont use circuitbreakers or other OCPDs anywhere.

Why is this relevant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94