Any Outlander Sport Builds?

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Outlander-Sport-Lead-644x416.jpg

I got to spend a week with the Outlander Sport. I really dig it, especially with the 2.4-liter engine. I'd drive an '11 and a '13 before and still liked them, but the 2.4 really helps wake it up. The CDL also is a nice touch for an AWD vehicle.

I got to wondering—is anyone lifting these or putting all-terrains on them? I know they have the same platform as the Jeep Patriot/Compass, so in theory, those parts might fit. Just curious. (I did Google it, but didn't find any conclusive evidence)

Here are my thoughts on it, FYI.
http://crankshaftculture.com/2017/02/01/driving-2017-mitsubishi-outlander-sport/

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I would build a full size Outlander V6, they have a 6 speed and center diff lock. I owned one and liked it more than my Gen 3.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I would build a full size Outlander V6, they have a 6 speed and center diff lock. I owned one and liked it more than my Gen 3.

The new ones are really really sharp especially inside. I'm really considering selling my two vehicles and buying one. They're available for around 20k now for a 2016 GT....

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Well, I just literally gave back the '17 Outlander (full size). I personally preferred the Sport, that's just my two cents. Both the '17 Outlander Sport and Outlander have a CDL.

plh

Explorer
Well, I just literally gave back the '17 Outlander (full size). I personally preferred the Sport, that's just my two cents. Both the '17 Outlander Sport and Outlander have a CDL.

Does the Sport 4 cylinder also have a CVT like the Outlander 4 cylinder? This is why I have been leaning towards the V6 model as well (auto 6 speed).

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Does the Sport 4 cylinder also have a CVT like the Outlander 4 cylinder? This is why I have been leaning towards the V6 model as well (auto 6 speed).

Yes it does. You can, however, get a manual transmission on FWD variants. I wish I could get it with AWD versions.

I haven't written the article on the Outlander SEL S-AWC yet, but a V6 would certainly help it in the velocity department.

plh

Explorer
I test drove one of the Outlander 2016 ES-AWC with the 4 cylinders and CVT, I didn't like the powertrain. The dealer near me doesn't seam to get many of the V6 models, so I have not tested one of those out yet.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You can get the Gen 1's for basically no money, there are still a few around town here. They were sold here as the Eagle Summit, Colt Vista and Expo. Probably not the best offroad machines but CHEAP

jcmaz

Outlander-Sport-Lead-644x416.jpg

I got to spend a week with the Outlander Sport. I really dig it, especially with the 2.4-liter engine. I'd drive an '11 and a '13 before and still liked them, but the 2.4 really helps wake it up. The CDL also is a nice touch for an AWD vehicle.

I got to wondering—is anyone lifting these or putting all-terrains on them? I know they have the same platform as the Jeep Patriot/Compass, so in theory, those parts might fit. Just curious. (I did Google it, but didn't find any conclusive evidence)

Here are my thoughts on it, FYI.
http://crankshaftculture.com/2017/02/01/driving-2017-mitsubishi-outlander-sport/

I have a 2012 Outlander Sport (RVR) 2.0L with General AT2 205/70/16 tires on Lancer 16" alloy wheels. With all the snow we have up here in Vancouver BC, they help a lot in the handling and traction department. I have not gotten stuck yet with 4WD Lock and this combo of wheel and tire.

Compared with the factory 16" wheel and Yokohama tire, my combination handles much better. The stiffer sidewalls of the AT2's help with driver confidence; turning is more accurate and feels less wallowy. It feels like a stiffer spring is installed.

One negative with the AT2 tires, fuel economy decreased around 1-2 MPG and there is a humming sound from the tires.

cZJgDKL1ruukpVBgJ9ZgZhzkcEi7JIJJs5UstmWVDD659XWpqvMJO_J9mx2qU7j1U-xGM-Nokg8rey_UlT7a33XgNOhV4ffAjk3-4ASzdFEEoDepov1Eo3hdNg0knm3GCbim3kITBXm6h3Psop_oCLyY1gbIttx6JAjq3D4UtfZpaR_AlImBOImvlWyTpl9ogpWWvVVyuiZ1PDbvqkE1_p500hdjrEjjrt8vt79q4KaPVRGY7WnZwWNJgLSorVcOcwCMfGQslHgHnMm0N5fjpJR3YmGFbMl2OgfyYRg0rK4CX2HrBuk3yiqM2m1wPddxpCYG1Yw841F1lrM1jVgEFuwVGSArkkWatbLKBwSV3SA1AvwiqaEDPnlLsKO-mo9CbsuHjF3mmyAwuU5UOztTa9QxREauRj2cadpaFObwdVdkLdMPCziRepEpMopZh8FUp0ovQNkCEi7P_YXPlPTbTXndrFS8GfwY9BQ2zd6SeRmz1qHV-XBqmNtJYe-4x3fiI8W_NTgtWD6_gH430-gJi8Cgi6td3oLG2ZZot0hjxJtSPDSqufVJxFmCCUs_Y_NNWd0-46hHQ7XQOHTvXnzbCz4HnrkVsnNvXMULF8LrmQ4hFO2MLLPC=w904-h678-no

Last edited:

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I have a 2012 Outlander Sport (RVR) 2.0L with General AT2 205/70/16 tires on Lancer 16" alloy wheels. With all the snow we have up here in Vancouver BC, they help a lot in the handling and traction department. I have not gotten stuck yet with 4WD Lock and this combo of wheel and tire.

Compared with the factory 16" wheel and Yokohama tire, my combination handles much better. The stiffer sidewalls of the AT2's help with driver confidence; turning is more accurate and feels less wallowy. It feels like a stiffer spring is installed.

One negative with the AT2 tires, fuel economy decreased around 1-2 MPG and there is a humming sound from the tires.

cZJgDKL1ruukpVBgJ9ZgZhzkcEi7JIJJs5UstmWVDD659XWpqvMJO_J9mx2qU7j1U-xGM-Nokg8rey_UlT7a33XgNOhV4ffAjk3-4ASzdFEEoDepov1Eo3hdNg0knm3GCbim3kITBXm6h3Psop_oCLyY1gbIttx6JAjq3D4UtfZpaR_AlImBOImvlWyTpl9ogpWWvVVyuiZ1PDbvqkE1_p500hdjrEjjrt8vt79q4KaPVRGY7WnZwWNJgLSorVcOcwCMfGQslHgHnMm0N5fjpJR3YmGFbMl2OgfyYRg0rK4CX2HrBuk3yiqM2m1wPddxpCYG1Yw841F1lrM1jVgEFuwVGSArkkWatbLKBwSV3SA1AvwiqaEDPnlLsKO-mo9CbsuHjF3mmyAwuU5UOztTa9QxREauRj2cadpaFObwdVdkLdMPCziRepEpMopZh8FUp0ovQNkCEi7P_YXPlPTbTXndrFS8GfwY9BQ2zd6SeRmz1qHV-XBqmNtJYe-4x3fiI8W_NTgtWD6_gH430-gJi8Cgi6td3oLG2ZZot0hjxJtSPDSqufVJxFmCCUs_Y_NNWd0-46hHQ7XQOHTvXnzbCz4HnrkVsnNvXMULF8LrmQ4hFO2MLLPC=w904-h678-no

Pic doesn't work. :( Would like to see it, though.

You can get the Gen 1's for basically no money, there are still a few around town here. They were sold here as the Eagle Summit, Colt Vista and Expo. Probably not the best offroad machines but CHEAP

I had a gen 1 (Mitsubishi Expo LRV). It was a great vehicle. Mine was a FWD 1.8 liter. I even ran a site back in the late 1990s all about them. The post I made on them on my blog, Subcompact Culture, is still one of the most popular areas of the site, since there isn't that much info on the Expo/Vista/Summit wagons. http://www.subcompactculture.com/2009/04/nostalgic-subcompact-tall-wagon.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles