Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Off-road teardrop scratch-build

Great documentation, Rob. It was awesome to see this in person last weekend and get a sense for the progress you've made first hand.

The over-the-road light harness (side markers, brake lights, turn signals, reverse lights) is complete and tested. We just received the third brake light, which will get spliced in, probably when the walls go up. Very minor task. Everything worked on the first attempt, which was a relief.
    Hey we like to travel, too. Read about our adventures out of Ipswich here.

Looks well thought out! What are the final dimensions going to Be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mccool View Post
    Looks well thought out! What are the final dimensions going to Be?
    Thanks! If I remember correctly, the body of the trailer is 101" long by 64" wide. It's a queen size, plus a little on the forward end (for the fridge and sink), if that make sense.

Small update. The interior "control panel" is mostly completed. I'm just waiting on a few small components, including the switches and stuff. We're receiving a blizzard today so that will probably prolong the delivery.

On the left is a solar system monitor we can use to see battery, PV panel, and charger status parameters. In the middle is a kill switch which is wired between the battery positive and the fuse block, in case we want to disconnect the trailer electrics for any reason. The 3-switch panel will house an on-off switch for dome lights, a dual USB outlet, and a blank, in case of future upgrades. The cubby above all these will give us a place to put phones while they're charging, and a bluetooth speaker, for music while we sleep.

We carefully cut this hole the headboard, so the cutout can be used as a door and the grain is continuous and all that. It made it a little more difficult, but I think the result is worth it.

This picture's not that great, and I apologize. It's cold here now, and I was on my way back into the house, so I just grabbed it quickly. But here you can see the action of the door to what will be our "dresser" AKA clothes storage area.

I thought the hinges would be able to hold it open, but it's a little too heavy. We'll add some air springs to assist. And we decided it needs a shelf as well, so it's close, but not quite completed.

Love the window/door panel. The effort to make it continuous grain was well worth it.

Thanks buddy. A pair of gas springs is on order for holding the door open.

I tidied up the wiring a bit.

And I got the dome light switch and power outlets installed and wired.

There's a bit of heavy gauge wiring left to do, but the battery needs to be in place to get proper lengths for everything. I want to add a sheet of steel to the battery tray for extra strength and protection. So that's my focus for the next couple days. Maybe I'll get some proper photos, too.

Hi Rob. As mentioned before you are doing a great job and well documented. Just thought I'd let you know that I used those sticky cable tie things once and had them peel off in no time. There's a fair bit of vibration that goes into those mounts from bouncing around and they just didn't last. I went to a small "P" clip which wraps around the cable and then uses a single screw to stay in place. You can either wrap the P clip around the cable, or as I now often do, screw the P clip to the wall and then use a cable tie to connect the cable to it. That all said you may as well give the adhesive cable tie mounts a go and replace later if needed.

Looking forward to more progess.
    2002 KJ CRD
    2003 WG CRD
    I'd rather be in the middle of nowhere!

http://www.arcoeco.com.au

Interesting! I'll keep an eye on that. I was yanking on some of them pretty hard to cinch down the zip ties and none of them let go. I was actually somewhat surprised. I understand vibes is a totally different animal, though. If it doesn't work out with these, it was only like $7 for 100 of them or something, so it's not a huge loss. But hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Iíve had some issues as well with the adhesive on those plastic cable tie mounts. I ended getting some Gorilla brand double sided tape and used it to secure the tie mounts. That solved the problem.

One gas spring (22.5lbf) is enough to hold open the door in the headboard.

I just need a magnet-stop to hold it closed that last ~1/8", and a handle to give us something to pull it open with.

I laminated what I'm calling the "battery tray" with a piece of steel for extra strength.

It just needs the corners trimmed a bit to fit in properly. This will support the battery, and provide for a battery hold-down, and it installs from the bottom. The idea is the battery gets secured to the battery tray using a battery hold-down bracket, then the battery leads get attached, then the whole assembly (battery, hold-down, and battery tray) gets jacked up into place under the trailer, and bolted to the frame. Hopefully it'll make more sense with pictures once it's complete. I just have to make the battery hold down bracket. Maybe this weekend.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456