Has anyone ever used hydraulic door closers for pop-top or bed lift?

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
just for the posterity of this thread -here's a more thorough depiction of what I've got planned for these. These are made to scale using measurements from my van- the mattress pictured for example is a full size, but the lift could theoretically accommodate a queen size mattress depending on how I design the raised rooftop (which is why I'm going to the effort to try and design this now from the comfort of my computer so that when I go to welding and wrenching it all fits as it should). The little person in the image is 5'9" (just like me) but the design is intended to leave 6' of walking space beneath it.
`
It would leave you a space of about 3' above the mattress while sleeping on it, not exactly enough to fully sit up in bed without bending your head down- but the 2ft swing arms could potentially be made longer to drop the bed lower, but also adversely effect the lifting assist you'd get from your lifters. I've a plan to make a slide-in ladder using a 2ft wide by 3/4" sheet of dextrin plastic with folding steps milled into it. This would slide into a slot under the mattress when not in use. this is a preliminary idea.
`
I found some government surplus door-closers being sold in lots of 6 or more for really cheap, but didn't realize they'd sell out so quick, and missed my chance. I'm on the lookout for lots of 4-6 of these lifters contingent on their weight rating. Really, these will not need to lift the weight of the bed on their own, when I put my hand under the bed and lift up, they really just need to help me lift the bed up "in plane" so I'm not trying to hold the entire weight of the bed while I latch it up to the roof. If I had six of the closers I have as an example- I'm confident they would produce enough lifting force to help me hold the bed up overhead with one hand while I latch it off with the other- and without a lot of exertion on my part. I plan on using elastic ties to hold the bed up to the roof, I want them to have enough force to press the bed to the roof, and if I go with a memory foam mattress- compress it to the roof. I've considered rubber hood latches like you find on a jeep hood, but will likely go with something more easily adjustable in case I decide to store other stuff on the bed when closed.
`
The bed will lock in the down position using some type of "slam latch" which I can mount in a couple of out-of-the-way locations as indicated in the diagram- I'm not set on the specifics of this yet, but there are a wide variety of compact but strong slam latches available to make this work.

This entire project is a ways down my list of priorities for this van- but I'll be collecting parts and may be able to get to it by the end of this summer concurrent with building and placing the raised rooftop.

Attachments

• tortuga-bedlift-01.jpg
    tortuga-bedlift-01.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1_415.jpg
    1_415.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 61490-2403813.jpg
    61490-2403813.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 170262.jpg
    170262.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 372812l_a.jpg
    372812l_a.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 11
  • tdsl_1lx.jpg
    tdsl_1lx.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 10
  • file_13_65_1_6_5.jpg
    file_13_65_1_6_5.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I've seen drop down bed that were locked to the ceiling using lap type seat belts - easy to clip in and then can have the compression easily adjusted via pulling on the belt that sticks out.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
I've seen drop down bed that were locked to the ceiling using lap type seat belts - easy to clip in and then can have the compression easily adjusted via pulling on the belt that sticks out.

That's a great idea I hadn't thought of, mount the female on the roof and stuff the straps under the bed when it's down. thanks.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
again for posterity- at the risk of making this a build thread-
`
I went ahead and bought a set of 6 door-closers off of E-bay.
`
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321923259892
`
These are obviously pretty cheapy-deapy aluminum relative to some of the cast iron models available, and I may live to regret that but at $13 a piece, I'm sure I'll find a use for them some day if they won't work for this bed-lifter plan. these could make a good centrifugal overspeed clutch-brake for my windmill turbine project, or maybe just to close gates to the goat pen or chicken coop.
`
These are Size-4 rated for closing an 180lb door. if you sum that capacity x6 (which I know is not necessarily a linear relationship) they'd be able to close a 1,100 lb door- and I think the six of them should be able to help me lift up a- what?- 200-300 lb mattress/plywood sheet/ and 2" angle-iron frame? problem might end up being the force needed to pull the bed down- I might end up having to pull the springs out of a couple of them.
`
Anyway, sorry for all the overshare, I assume anyone still reading this thread has some marginal interest in this project.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior