Awning Owners: Driver's Side Mount or Passenger's Side Mount? Logic? Why?

Driver's Side or Passenger's Side?

• Driver's Side Mount

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Passenger's Side Mount

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters

SnoViking

Adventurer
On my trailer both, mostly so the trailer is protected and I can leave the canvas off it in camp but the fridge is still shaded with the tub protected from any light showers etc

20170206_103404_zpsyu5vzopy.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve, What awnings are those? Are they different?

camodog

Adventurer
I said passenger. If we need to pull off to the side of the road and have a quick lunch, the awning wont interfere with traffic. of course, I need to get said awning first :) That will be next month!

Steve F

Adventurer
Hey Steve, What awnings are those? Are they different?

Yep, the one on that covers the trailer is just a tarp that slides into some sailtrack I mounted on the riser I made for the awning, the other side is the standard type of rollout awning. The tarp is only used when setting up a base camp where as the rollout can be used easily enough at lunch breaks etc.

Tarp in sail track, numerous ways to set it up, sometimes just over the trailer like below and pegged out in worse weather to give dry access to the trailer. The cover for the rollout is used to flip over between the two and make a weather proof join.

20170202_120407_zpsy2dxtmg4.jpg

The sailtrack with the riser in the travel position

20170129_170141_zpsv7eflyqp.jpg

On the road

20170129_1405251_zpsrxcmfbhi.jpg

And one more all setup

20170206_103711_zpse1xi20ma.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Kevin108

Explorer
For me, I don't think it matters. I'll explain...

Untitled-2_1.jpg

I'm on the east coast and I primarily use it on the beach. We back in, facing away from the shore. As best as I can figure, the sun will shine in equally, more or less, on either side. I simply mounted it on the driver side because the Hi-Lift is much heavier than the awning. I'm usually the only one in the vehicle. Just to help balance things out, I pack my heavier stuff on the passenger side.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
My awning sits on the drivers side. I was debating otherwise when building my trailer, but I came to the decision that I 'm much more likely to need to have the tent on the passenger side, so I can deploy it while I'm parked on the side of the road. So with that, the awning gets bumped to the drivers side, and so far I haven't regretted that decision.

wvbwx3k.jpg

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Mine sits on the driver side but I can swing it out to the rear of the rig where all the action (cooking, drinking & hangging) happens

IMAG0056.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
It depends...

If you primarily do off-grid/wilderness type camping, it's your preference. However, if you primarily camp in developed/pay campgrounds, the awning needs to be on the passenger side. The majority of all pay campgrounds in the USA are setup for left side=utility hookup side, and right side=patio & entertaining side. Just take a look at any Motor Home or Travel Trailer.

If you're using a small off-road trailer to camp out of, it wouldn't really matter even in a pay campground, because you can disconnect and position it any way you wish.

JackW

Explorer
Passenger side - the entrance to my older Maggiolina roof tent is on the driver side. Plus I like having the awning deployed on the curb side anyway.

Lc80series

Passenger side. When camping it's nice to keep things easy to grab on the passenger seat and floor. Probably wouldn't put things on drivers seat and floor.

Gumbeaux

I put my ARB2500 awning on the driver's side - mainly because I have a Yakima Rack with a 60" Hi-Lift already mounted on the passenger side.

2h403ft.jpg

D90Rovin

Observer
Drivers Side

IMG_1139.JPG

Drivers Side here. As others have said, my vehicle rear door opens to the right passenger side. If I come to developed campground I just park on the side that works best depending on my needs. Haven't had an issue yet.
In the attached photo it dumped rain the entire first day so we utilized the walls and hung out in the Hannibal room.

aaen

Adventurer
Very interesting. We installed my buddies awning on the passenger side although I suggested driver side so that when he is using his off road trailer his roof top ten opens to the drivers side and he can disengage and drive in beside it and set up the canopy to cover the. Cook area.

My thought for driver side was that when actually off road, you would back in the trailer, disengage move ahead and back in beside the trailer then set up the awning.

What does everyone seem to be doing wiith just a pick up and and awning?

patoz

Expedition Leader
What I want to know is, how are all of you guys with these bag awnings mounted on racks, keeping the rain from pouring in between the vehicle body/camper shell and the awning itself?

If you're just using the awning for shade then it's no big deal, however here in Florida rain is as much of a problem as the blistering sun is. Water coming in that location makes a big mud hole right there under the awning, and that's no fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior