Awning Owners: Driver's Side Mount or Passenger's Side Mount? Logic? Why?

Driver's Side or Passenger's Side?

• Driver's Side Mount

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Passenger's Side Mount

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Drivers side.

I can see to position the vehicle better for where I want to awning to be when deployed.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Drivers side. I can see it better when navigating tight spots. Also, my tailgate swings open from drivers side to passenger side. If I mounted the awning on the passenger side I would have to walk around the tailgate.

Driver's side. The ARB bug net only has a door/zipper on the right side(when facing the awning from the side of the vehicle) so driver side mount equals zipper facing the rear of the vehicle.
Good question. I unfortunately mounted mine on the passenger side before learning this about the bug net.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Passenger side. When deploying in a less than wild environment this puts the awning on the side of the vehicle that is away from the street... I can use it in more places this way.

C-Fish

Adventurer
Passenger side due to the swing operation of the rear door (swings open to drivers side). This allows full use of the awning footprint when attaching zip in walls (Foxwing).

SnoViking

Adventurer
Drivers side. I can see it better when navigating tight spots. Also, my tailgate swings open from drivers side to passenger side. If I mounted the awning on the passenger side I would have to walk around the tailgate.

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion with the rear gate swinging to the passenger side.

Driver's side. The ARB bug net only has a door/zipper on the right side(when facing the awning from the side of the vehicle) so driver side mount equals zipper facing the rear of the vehicle.
Good question. I unfortunately mounted mine on the passenger side before learning this about the bug net.

Thats good to note. I didnt consider how the add-ons would work if I went that route.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Passenger side. When deploying in a less than wild environment this puts the awning on the side of the vehicle that is away from the street... I can use it in more places this way.

This matches my thinking as well. Also, if using my pop-up camper I'll have both awnings on the same side.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Passenger side since the majority of the time we can pull on the side of a park or beach/lake away from street traffic. We use an Alucab Shadowawning and its plenty large enough to still keep me shaded as I walk around my rear swing arm if its open. Our RTT deploys driver side with annex when camping which we've found we deploy less than the awning. Works out for us quite well.

snare

Adventurer
Driver's side, due to the rear door swinging to passenger side on my Montero. Mine is a DIY awning and I can quickly move it to the passenger side if need be.

awning1.jpg

TheFutur

Adventurer
Drivers side strictly for better visibility so I dont damage it.

On my trailer it defaults to the passanger side but can be switched around quickly to facilitate different camp spots.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Both sides... Foxwing on driver side and an 8'er on the passenger side...Close to full coverage... I agree about the rear door swing issue...

Steve F

Adventurer
On my trailer both, mostly so the trailer is protected and I can leave the canvas off it in camp but the fridge is still shaded with the tub protected from any light showers etc

20170206_103404_zpsyu5vzopy.jpg

Cheers
Steve

RichJacot

Observer
Passenger side due to the swing operation of the rear door (swings open to drivers side). This allows full use of the awning footprint when attaching zip in walls (Foxwing).

Passenger side due to the swing operation of the rear door on our FJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke