Truck Topper Brace

eaneumann

Adventurer
Hello all. I'm looking to build a brace for my truck topper. I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with a Prinsu rack on my topper. I'm looking to build a cage on the inside of the topper to support the weight of our tent/people/dogs/gear, about 800lbs stationary. While moving, the rack doesn't need to support that much weight, 250lbs max.

I've been trying to decide on using steel or aluminum. I do auto body for a living and have access to all of the tools I would need, I just don't have any experience with engineering such a project. I would like to use aluminum for weight savings unless there's a good reason not to. Cost isn't really an issue, I want to keep it around $500 for materials. Labor is free!

I'm currently using two bed crossbars from Relentless Fabrication to mount my tent to the bed. I'll be using the same mounting method for my brace/topper, it will eliminate the need for clamps. For the shape, I'm looking for something very basic, along the lines of an All Pro bed rack, but maybe just two crossbars with small feet like the Relentless Fabrication. Maybe 3 crossbars would be better? I was thinking 1" tube, but am looking for suggestions. I'm also thinking 1/4 for all of the brackets, maybe overkill?

Relentless Fabrication bed crossbars http://www.relentlessfabrication.com/products/07-tundra-bed-cargo-cross-bars-pair

All Pro Pack Rack http://allprooffroad.com/truck-parts/07-16-tundra/pack-racks-07-16-tundra/

The bed of the truck

016626dc879ada2662c091a2a6a34b49.jpg

How the rack bolts through the roof, there's 6 points, 12 bolts.

fc5c49053ee056113b41ea6c57853a95.jpg

Relentless Fabrication crossbar mounting foot.

5acdb02d1393acd357b81bd4b0403ac2.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'll try to sketch something up to give a better idea of what I'm thinking. I'm more looking for suggestions on materials and where to buy them.

eaneumann

Adventurer
What wall thickness did you use and how much weight are you supporting with it? Thanks for the picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am interested in some design ideas as well. I am thinking about adding a rack to my cap/topper and am also concerned about weight. My cap does not have any type of factory rails, raincutters, etc. I am debating getting something from the junk yard off of a minivan or suv and then buying something like the megawarrior rack from yakima or trying to build my own. It will be for a spare tire, jack, and whatever other misc items I come up with. When needed, a canoe will be thrownnup there as well. I am estimating 200+ pounds, without my weight climbing around trying to wrestle a spare tire.

Just to be safe I have been thinking about how to build an interior support structure much like the OP is describing. I would love to see more pics of what others have done as well. I too was wondering what would be the best materials to use as well as design.

dcarlin

Camper Shell Internal Cage

I went through this process in order to adequately support a Prinsu Cabrac, RTT, and the occasional load of lumber. Mine was my first welding project so I opted for 1/8" wall tubing, both round and square, and built a full size mock-up using 2x2's and PVC pipe to iron out the details. I ran a strut between the two front legs to have a place to rest full size sheet stock since the factory fenders are dumb-foundingly less than 48" apart. In order to make sure I had a tight fit between the shell and the two upper rails, I put 1/8" shims between the shell and the bedrails during fabrication, built it as tight as I could, then removed the shims before sandwiching the shell between the cage and two standard Yakima tracks on the roof. So far no issues.

Bed Cage Installed & Shell Mounted.jpg

Bed Cage 2.jpg

Bed Cage 1.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Unless you just need a winter project, consider getting a lumber rack that mounts to the box rails and comes up outside the shell. Mount the RTT to the rack and forget about building a structure inside the shell. Makes the shell a lot more usable. Lumber racks are designed to handle lots of weight.

^^^ I'm wondering the same thing. Why not use a lumber rack?

I can't speak for the OP, but for me, its aesthetics. I know that I should just adopt the form follows function mindset and go with what will work fine, be easier and probably be cheaper (in terms of money, and certainly in terms of time).

rayra

Expedition Leader
Any tubular steel structure should wind up being as rigid and inflexible as my politics. Just design it so the reinforcement (or attached tabs) line up directly under the thru-bolting of your external structures, so their load is transferred directly to the interior support structure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles