air drag and mileage

MOguy

Explorer
I use more gas with this rack empty then with my cargo trailer loaded with 4 kyakas and a 16 foot canoe. When I checked I was driving on twisty country roads aprox 45 to 55 mph.

.0316183349_01_zpsomuolg0o-1.jpg

Mo4130

Adventurer
Just yesterday I took off the maxtrax and thulie roof rack off the truck and heading up to Maine I averaged 16.1. Up from 14-14.5. I have had on the roof rack for probably the last 2 years so it was a pretty solid average. I keep it 65 on the highway.

Silverado08

Observer
what is the minimum speed that we need to concern about air drag on our vehicles? I know large trucks and buses don't need an aerodynamic design as they are not speeding up that much to a get a considerable air drag.
I think even large buses and big rigs could benefit from streamlined design,as they run at high speeds also..
The back of the bus should be more rounded too,
Ive heard that bus towing a trailer gets better mpg then one not towing anything,,air seems to flow better then.
Way back in the past all buses were rounded like that for just that reason..I sure would like to see class A motorhome rounded aerodynamicaly front and back,,
heres a nice example of aerodynamics being taken to the limit :)

https://youtu.be/Nq9uzbF6QI8

I made my camper TC nicely streamlined and dont even feel it back there even at high speed,,cruise at 110km turning 1600 rpm,m

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I can only hope that those claiming they find their best mpg while driving 45 or 55 are not attempting to drive such slow speeds on the freeway/highway, as you will be the cause of a potentially unsafe situation.

So what's a safe speed? I rarely drove over 55mph for the entirety of 2016, and slower off highway - but if I'm off highway I take every opportunity to let more nimble folks pass me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94