RTTs on trailers

CDN offroader

I've read through all the pros and cons of RTTs on veh vs trailer. For those of you who have mounted them on M101/416 style trailers, do you have any issue with stability? Especially when disconnected from the vehicle? It just looks like it should be lopsided to one side? Reason I'm asking I just picked up a clone of these trailers, having the argument of trailer or vehicle for the RTT

I like the idea of having the RTT on the trailer to keep the vehicle height down, but not if it's always gonna feel tipsy in the tent.

yngbuck19

Adventurer
The ladder should stabilize the weight hanging off that one side. What really affects the stability is the wheel base, tire pressure and the stiffness of the trailer's suspension. There are many different bolt on stabilizers available if any of the factors are not ideal. You could also easily take the wheels off the ground with lowering the tongue jack, then putting two jack stands under the rear of the trailer fram and then raise the tongue jack it's worked for my M416 pretty well. Also you can turn the RTT 90 degrees so it's not hanging off the side. I have three trailer rack bars and the tent set on all three when the RTT was deployed it was very compact with the camp site foot prin and very stable too. Hope this helps.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Here is my experience.

If you have the RTT opening off the rear (perpendicular to the axle) you will need stabilizing jacks on the rear of the trailer.

On a 3 week trip 2 summer ago my girlfriend and myself were laying on the ladder side of the tent planning our route and stops for the next day and the weight of us on the hinge acted at a cantilever and it pulled the trailer tounge up into the air and the back bumper hit the ground. Of course when this happened the ladder side remained fixed where it was due to the ladder on the ground so the tent folded up about half way on us... I managed to crawl out and get enough leverage on the touge to pull the trailer back down. After that I left it hooked up to the truck until i installed rear stabilizing jacks.

Id suggest jacks...

Box Rocket

A tent on a trailer shouldn't make the trailer any more tippy. The ladder will stabilize the cantilevered side of the tent. If you disconnect the trailer from the vehicle, some stabalizers in the rear of the trailer will help a lot. I picked up a simple rear stabilizer for $20 at Camping World. Crazy simple and works great. Between the tongue jack, the tires and the rear stabilizer the trailer is rock solid and doesn't even wiggle much.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
While I love having my tent on a trailer as opposed to on the truck for many reasons, I did find one drawback was that it is more tipsy compared to the vehicle. While it is not unsafe or unstable, it cause create a problem so to speak. When the RTT is deployed (to the side) and the trailer's suspension flexes, the RTT folds, and the joint between the two sections pops out, which is uncomfortable and is a bit worrisome. I also made up some stabilizer legs influenced by the style that Box Rocket got for his above and it pretty much resolved this. I have mine on the front for the moment (still a few details to work out) but I am planning to be making ones for the rear this year.

AqeDbAt.jpg

billum v2.0

My solution is removable RV scissors jacks. Adjust independently for uneven terrain. Female brackets mounted to trailer frame accept male brackets mounted to jacks for a solid connection. Between these jacks (rated at 2 tons each) and the tongue jack (1.5 ton), the trailer suspension can be completely unloaded, eliminating any front/back and side/side movement. The RTT ladder supports the cantilevered portion of the tent, but with our heads/torsos/hips oriented on the non cantilevered side above the trailer, the ladder side need support very little weight unless entering/exiting.
It's overkill for sure, but rock solid.
DSCN2352_zps98lyayyj.jpg

brentbba

Explorer
My set up is a M101CDN spring over which puts the trailer body up pretty high. I have an Eezi-Awn Globetrotter tent on the trailer riding on three Thule cross bars. Almost all the weight of this particular RTT rides directly on the trailer. I currently do not use any stabilizing jacks, only the tires and tongue jack. I've not experienced any tipyness at all.

A tent on a trailer shouldn't make the trailer any more tippy. The ladder will stabilize the cantilevered side of the tent. If you disconnect the trailer from the vehicle, some stabalizers in the rear of the trailer will help a lot. I picked up a simple rear stabilizer for $20 at Camping World. Crazy simple and works great. Between the tongue jack, the tires and the rear stabilizer the trailer is rock solid and doesn't even wiggle much.

I looked at those and the load rating say's 250 lbs. How has it held up?

Loco

I am in the process of putting a RTT on my trailer. Thanks for the good information being posted here. I was wondering how many cross bars most are using as well? Does the number affect movement in the floor as well?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
My Google **** is weak today, but I remember this hilarious story someone on thenewX.org (2nd gen Xterra site) told about camping with a RTT on a trailer, and had it actually tip over with him and his wife in it. I think it came down to not having supports where there should have been some, but I can't find it now.

veetee

image.jpg

No problems with a Columbus Clamshell RTT on a M416 trailer.
I have four legs, one on each corner, for stability. Including wheels and nosewheel that makes 7 contactpoints to the ground... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles