NPS71 300 - won't stay in low range

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Arrived at inskip point today and after putting the truck into low range I took off in 2nd, as soon as I grabbed 3rd it popped out of low. If I stay in whichever gear I start off in it stays in low. If I hold the lever in low it stays in low. Any ideas ?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
No idea how the Isuzu systems work, as I don't have one, but it could be a simple adjustment of the linkages.
Definitely not a long term solution, but could you use a bungee cord to hold the lever in low range until you get it sorted?

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
could you use a bungee cord to hold the lever in low range until you get it sorted?

Couldnt work out where to tie off the bungy, fortunately I had 2 European backpackers to take turns holding it ;)

Side note.... The interior tracks on Fraser are the worst i've seen them... rough and extremely soft sand :/

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Shannon,

Just shows you how fast they can change. I havent been up for three weeks but they were the best ive seen them in years (considering the season).
Amazing how the last few weeks of hot days and lack of rain can turn the sand into bottomless powder so quickly.

Add a few troopies full of backpackers getting bogged and churning the tracks and it goes pearshaped fast.

Sounds like you had more on your mind anyway.

See ya mate. Regards John

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Amazing how the last few weeks of hot days and lack of rain can turn the sand into bottomless powder so quickly.

I saw the big pink dingo bus get bogged at the V at the top of the hill leaving Eurong!
Quite a few were struggling leaving inskip, one guy was stuck for over an hour!
Indian head wasn't too bad, I got through but had to drop to 1st for one section.

Sounds like you had more on your mind anyway.

060DAFC3-BDAB-4D7B-9993-3A9468AC3D75 copy.jpg

it was a pleasant trip :)

gait

Explorer
not sure you'll want to answer this ... I wonder if the oil loss when front seal went some time ago has led to other problems,

something to try I guess, does it happen if front hubs are free? does it happen if clutch disengaged/engaged without changing gear?

other than that adjustment - I don't know about Isuzu, the Canter has two cables and they chafe where they exit the cab.

maybe check engine mounts, and gearbox mount, maybe enough movement when clutch disengaged/engaged,

a bit of a stretch, check prop shafts (how much free play in diffs, splines, etc) and U-bolts

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I'm back at rainbow beach now and had trouble getting it into high range when leaving inskip... argh. I'll try your suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke