Alabama Hills / Reward Mine Trip

LandOps

Observer
ALABAMA & REWARD
If you haven't visited the Alabama Hills (located in California) you need to make a trip out this way sometime. Many movies have been filmed in this area, there's a local Movie Museum in Lone Pine. There are perfect landscapes and nice trails. It's also very close to the Reward Mine where you can drive your 4x4 truck at least .25 miles into the mountain.

We had a cold, yet great trip with a little over a dozen joining us.

highres_456795688.jpeg
The night was in the high 30's, but the air was fresh.

highres_456841511.jpg
Sierra Nevada mountains in background (Mt Whitney)

highres_456795704.jpg
Navigating in the Alabama Hills - Kenny

highres_456795709.jpg
Navigating in the Alabama Hills

highres_456815033.jpg
Chris, Greg and Tim - pre-running the course, looking from Reward Mine area across the valley west.

alabama-1-5.jpg
Camped in Alabama Hills, California

alabama400-1-2.jpg
Camped in Alabama Hills, California

alabama500-1-2.jpg
Getting ready for a tour of the Alabama Hills, movie making area

highres_456838315.jpg
Night time adventure, getting ready to drive into the Reward Mine

highres_456841745.jpg
Dash cam inside the reward mine, we took 4-5 truck in at a time.

I'll post more photos of mine with replies shortly.

Last edited:

LandOps

Observer
A few more pics of Reward Mine just North East of Alabama Hills

highres_456909031.jpg

highres_456841725.jpg
Turn around junction about .2 miles inside the mine.

highres_456841720.jpg

Last edited:

LandOps

Observer
The Manzanar historical site is also close by between Lone Pine and Independence. This was one of the war relocation camps from WWII where Americans of Japanese descent were held. It's free admission.
600_452567081.jpeg

LandOps

Observer
Mine height

We heard rumors that the low point in the mine was 6'3". That was not the case. I can fit my rig in my garage with roof rack and lights on top that's 6'8" through the door. I believe I had at least 2-3" additional clearance at the lowest point. If your rig is higher just drive around the low point or dig a small trench under to get under the low point. It's like a parking garage.

LandOps

Observer
Absolutely, You're welcome. I thought this particular point of our trip was notable. It's not everyday you get to drive into a mountain for a quarter mile with enough space to turn a half dozen trucks around inside.

LandOps

Observer
It was cool. We had the cameras rolling so I'll be editing the video footage of this part of our trip and sharing it soon in a separate post.

kc6rox

Great pictures of good times. Thanks for posting. Post more, if available. Does mine dead end or go all the way through?

LandOps

Observer
picture of Cafe in Alabama Hills, great Eggs Benedict

Alabama Hills Cafe
Great little place to eat breakfast in Lone Pine, CA
600_456864372.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94