Pro-Rig V2.0 - Home Built Compact Composite Pop-up

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Here's how we did the canvas (hope this makes sense):

The canvas is sandwiched between aluminum on the inside and outside. Inside is seen here:

The upper is 3/4" X 3/4" angle riveted and epoxied in to the roof. Lower is 1-3/4" X 1-3/4" angle riveted and epoxied to the slide up.

The screws seen in the above photo tap in to 1/2" X 1/2" square tube on the outside with the canvas in between, seen here from the outside.

Pointy ends of the screws end up inside the square tube.

The process of installing was to do the upper edge first. We used the factory cut edge on the canvas and lined it up evenly all the way around. We then pulled the roof down about an inch so that there would be tension on the fabric when done.

The lower edge was attached the same way, starting in the back middle and working out to the edges one screw on each side at a time. Pulling the fabric tight before screwing. Okay that last sentence sounded weird.

Where was I. Oh yeah. Here's how it looked in progress.

Section at right is sandwiched and section towards the left is not done yet.

Once it was all attached at top and bottom, we cut off the excess.

The messy bottom edge was sealed up with some messy black 4200.

So, there isn't a water channel really and no, it's not waterproof. We are planning on doing some sort of spray-on water resistant coating (Scotch Guard?). If it's really nasty out, we'll just close the pop-up and live with a low ceiling (Kind of like Gandalf in a hobbit house :sombrero:).

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Standard 100% cotton, 10oz weight. That's the heaviest I thought we could sew. Might not last a long time but it should get us through a few trips.

Acrylic (Sunbrella) was 3X the price and it seemed like getting a tight fit would be harder since it seems to have almost no stretch to to.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
It's been hectic. The last of many todo lists:

All systems seem to be working, for now...

We depart in the morning. Colorado Rockies is the destination.

There will be lots of build details to catch up on when we return. Thanks for all the positivity everyone!

matt

S2DM

Adventurer
Would love to meet up and check it out when you get back. I built a lifting roof unit just down the road from you in Carpinteria.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Were you camped on the Smith River in northern California a few weeks ago? If not, someone else out there has a very similar rig!

Awesome build.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Thanks everyone!

Looking forward to battery update, and what happens with alternator charging. Have a great trip.

Yep, got details to report. I'll make that the next post.

Would love to meet up and check it out when you get back. I built a lifting roof unit just down the road from you in Carpinteria.

I'd be psyched to check out your rig too. We're up in Carp most every weekend. I'll send a PM (if I can figure that out).

Were you camped on the Smith River in northern California a few weeks ago? If not, someone else out there has a very similar rig!

Awesome build.

Nope, not us. Cool that there is something else like this out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94