Pro-Rig V2.0 - Home Built Compact Composite Pop-up

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Yep. It's set up so the potti, stove and half the sink are accessible when the bed is down. Midnight calls of nature and then who ever gets up first can get the coffee going.

Just enough room for two (friendly) people to stand up and fold the bed.

The Artisan

Adventurer
If I do a popup roof at some point I am going to use poly coated vinyl on the perimeter where condensation sits and use weathermax for the sides. Noticed it gets moldy in those areas using the coated poly, all that all goes away. It also reinforces the stress areas. Are you sewing your own?
Kevin

Last edited:

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
My primary goal with the fabric is lots of breathability. We can always close the pop-up if weather is really bad. Weathermax80 sounds good but I just don't know how breathable it really is.

Secondary concern is flapping in the wind - which makes me want to go with a heavier fabric (weathermax80 is only 8oz/yd). Theoretically it would be stretched tight and not flap, but I expect that getting things taut will be a challenge.

I would like to sew my own, but I think 8oz fabric is as heavy as I would want to try with our regular old sewing machine. So I'm leaning towards 12oz cotton and finding someone to sew it.

The Artisan

Adventurer
That's why I would use the poly on the perimeter it stretches a bit more. Weather is designed so heat and water vapor can evacuate, which is ideal in preventing mildew growth, its not backed and does breath. 8oz will be a challenge with a home machine (not that it wont sew it) the stitches wont be that tight compared to a industrial.
Let me know if you need tips. I do auto upholstery and restoration for a living.
Kevin

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
My primary goal with the fabric is lots of breathability. We can always close the pop-up if weather is really bad. Weathermax80 sounds good but I just don't know how breathable it really is.

Secondary concern is flapping in the wind - which makes me want to go with a heavier fabric (weathermax80 is only 8oz/yd). Theoretically it would be stretched tight and not flap, but I expect that getting things taut will be a challenge.

I would like to sew my own, but I think 8oz fabric is as heavy as I would want to try with our regular old sewing machine. So I'm leaning towards 12oz cotton and finding someone to sew it.

Looking forward to seeing what you figure out. My next build will have fabric/canvas on it. Awesome build so far Coyote

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Thanks Kevin, I might just follow up for some advice when I get closer to the canvas decision point.

I remember reading a long time ago about a shop up in San Luis Obispo that sewed up someones custom pop top and did a great job. Can't find the reference now.

Yeah, stay tuned stomper, will report on what ever we try...

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Fairly monumental day in the world of Pro-Rig. Finally got the slide-up on. This was the first test fit and I was hoping it was all square and the clearances were good. Turns out the fit couldn't have been better - Whew! :wings:

From the front:

And the rear:

Next step was alignment and then attaching the lifters to the slide-up. Lifted it up to a partially-up position, enough to clear the drill. Had a strap holding it here since the lifters alone would have launched the top skyward - lots of spring-loaded power going on.

Alignment was easy, attachment was straight forward but took a while - lots of drilling, bolts and rivets. It's on there good though :sombrero:

With the additional weight of the roof, windows, solar panels, etc, I think the amount of lifting force will be in a good ballpark. Lots to do before getting all that on, but today was a big step forward.

matt

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
^^^ That is awesome. Looking really great.
Ideas for getting materials and/or sewing done, check with boating/marine shops that deal with upholstery/boat covers or if not boat shops in your area try a custom awning.

Ventura, CA you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place with heavy duty fabric and heavy duty sewing machine.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
Thanks guys!

Looks great. What's the lift load on each one?
Kevin

They are rated at 30kg. I think that is each, but it might be for the pair - not totally certain. What's neat (or at least worth considering) is that the amount of upward force depends on how much they are extended - when closed you can keep it shut with two fingers; when totally extended you can push them together really easy for a couple inches (minimal tension on the spring); the rest of the travel is where all the force is pushing up. I'll be using about 19" of the 27" total travel - right in the middle of the force curve when the slide-up is up.

Looking great! What windows are you going for?

Going with Seitz. I agree with others who have noted that the build quality is not superb (for the price), but I really wanted double-pane and really like that they are much lighter than glass.

^^^ That is awesome. Looking really great.
Ideas for getting materials and/or sewing done, check with boating/marine shops that deal with upholstery/boat covers or if not boat shops in your area try a custom awning.

Ventura, CA you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place with heavy duty fabric and heavy duty sewing machine.

Oh, good call! Hadn't thought of the marine sector. Yeah, I'm sure I can find someone around here - three different harbors within fifteen minutes of me...

Main progress today was on the table. The shellac wasn't striking me as particularly durable so I started adding multiple coats of "salad bowl finish" - a non-toxic urethane (IIRC). Has a much harder finish now. Anyway, after all that, I finally installed the hinges.

and the post base and sliders.

Looks nice when folded up too.

So, that little side-project-turned-epic is about done. Need to install the rail that the front edge slides along and probably trim the post.

Okay, better get the tools and mess on the kitchen table cleaned up before the GF gets home...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles