El Burro - 1989 4Runner Build

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Stoffregen, your '83 is a beautiful rig. That dash re-build was awesome.

I decided to order a temp gauge with a 1/8" NPT fitting rather than up size the threads. While I wait for the new sensor I started building a table to hold saws so I can have my bench top available for working. Hopefully I'll be back to working on the 4Runner by the weekend.

IMG_3359

Thanks. Hopefully I'll have time to finish it this fall/winter. I just have to finish up one customer job and then get my CJ5 done and sold.

I have 100 hours into that dash alone.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Got a few hours to work this afternoon and finished installing my water temp gauge. I still have some wiring cleanup, but in the mean time I'm now able to monitor my water temp as it enters the radiator. While working on this I threw my first check engine light since completing the swap. This was a mixed bag. It means my indicator light and ECU are working correctly, but I haven't been able to get my OBDII reader to work.

A quick review of my wiring diagrams and harness revealed an incorrectly spliced wire. I fixed the connection and just like that my OBDII reader jumped to life revealing my error codes and engine data!

With a reliable temp reading I ran errands around town today and have confirmed my engine is running right in the temp range it should. Freeway test still pending :) Looking forward to putting some miles on her to flush out any more issues that arise before tearing into the next items on the list.

With the first rain of the season arriving today I set to work on a foam mold for my hood scoop. Next up, fiberglass.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YB3aGz]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YPJyjF]

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Thanks, Nick! It's been a longer project than expected, but I still enjoy wrenching on it when I can. I'm up in North Seattle. Let me know if you ever want to hit the dirt.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
I haven't run Bethel Ridge, but I know there are a lot of popular 4x4 trails in that area. I was planning to head out to some nearby trails and camp Saturday night (Natches, Manastash, etc) but looks like I may have to stick around Seattle this weekend. If I don't get stuck at work I'll give you a heads up. Always better to have 2 stuck rigs than 1 :)

I'll shoot you a PM with some contact info in case we end up in the same area.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I haven't run Bethel Ridge, but I know there are a lot of popular 4x4 trails in that area. I was planning to head out to some nearby trails and camp Saturday night (Natches, Manastash, etc) but looks like I may have to stick around Seattle this weekend. If I don't get stuck at work I'll give you a heads up. Always better to have 2 stuck rigs than 1 :)

I'll shoot you a PM with some contact info in case we end up in the same area.

Sounds good dude. Im bone stock aside from the bumper and lights, so count on the stuck one being me! haha

Nate_gb

Great build you got going. Enjoyed looking at your garage revamp too. Keep up the good work!

Btw, if you're looking for advise on gearing, I'd go 4.56's. My pig of a third gen is much heavier than your truck and the 3.4 with 4.56's work great. 4.88's on 33" tires would be way too much gear, in my opinion, and the rpm's would be much higher than is comfortable on the highway.

Last edited:

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Thanks on both accounts @Nate_gb! I can't tell you how much I love the new garage set up. White walls and more lighting has made a huge difference.

I appreciate the advice based on real life experience rather than internet speculation. Is your 4Runner a 5spd w/33's? What are your RPMs @ 70mph?

My taco and 4Runner are now both 3.4's with a 5spd. In the taco on 31's I would love to have a 6th gear. In the 4Runner on 255/85/16's (33's) I hardly use 5th. I'm concerned 4.56's wouldn't be enough of a change. I have some plans to add a bit of weight to the 4Runner as seen in the rough mock up below, but we'll see how far I make it with this plan... :ylsmoke:

Capture

Last edited:

TheCascadeKid

Observer
@Nikkshepherd - I'm pretty green compared to many when it comes to technical 4x4 trails, but you'll be pleasantly surprised what these little trucks can accomplish in their stock form.

Nate_gb

Thanks on both accounts @Nate_gb! I can't tell you how much I love the new garage set up. White walls and more lighting has made a huge difference.

I appreciate the advice based on real life experience rather than internet speculation. Is your 4Runner a 5spd w/33's? What are your RPMs @ 70mph?

My taco and 4Runner are now both 3.4's with a 5spd. In the taco on 31's I would love to have a 6th gear. In the 4Runner on 255/85/16's (33's) I hardly use 5th. I'm concerned 4.56's wouldn't be enough of a change. I have some plans to add a bit of weight to the 4Runner as seen in the rough mock up below, but we'll see how far I make it with this plan... :ylsmoke:

Capture

Ambitious project you have brainstormed there. My truck is an auto so I can't comment too well on the 5spd. At 70 my truck runs at about 2500 rpm's which is right in the sweet spot. I run 285/75r16 which are about half an inch shorter than the 255's from most manufacturers. I'm thinking about going 255's on my next tire to bring highway rpm's down a bit more. Before I regeared I had 4.10's and the truck ran about about 2100-2200 at 70 mph so I would guess that with 4.88's it would run about 2800 rpm's at 70. My truck has a front bumper with winch, rear bumper with spare and Jerry can on a swing out and a fridge in the back full time along with some other little weight adders. If I had to guess I'd say that my truck wouldn't be too far off in weight from your truck if you build that camper out of relatively light weight materials. Anyway, I'm rambling, but all this being said, if I had your truck with those plans I would put 4.56's in it. There's just so much highway in this country of ours that I'd rather error on the side of giving up a bit of bottom end to have a comfortable highway cruise.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
That is an excellent point considering most of my miles on the truck will be highway. I plan get some miles under my belt before re-gearing in hopes of getting it right on the first go, so I have some time to make a final decision.

Spent my evening sanding the hood and getting the scoop glued in. This will be my first attempt at automotive paint so I'm keeping my expectations low. Still a fair bit of prep before I'm ready for any color. Planning to stick with grey and use the roll on method similar to Ca18_Sean and many others have done. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/132956-CA18_Sean-s-1st-Gen-4Runner-expedition-build

https://flic.kr/p/YUND3s

Last edited:

TheCascadeKid

Observer
I was really hoping to start laying primer this weekend, but it just wasn't in the cards. A big reason I started this project was to learn more about the aspects of auto work I don't have any experience in. With that in mind I decided not to do a roller paint job. I did a little body work and set up a paint booth in my garage (complete with an exhaust fan that produces better negative pressure than I expected). Should have everything I need to start shooting sometime this week.

I'm constantly fighting my desire to make things look perfect, but it would be a waste of time given that I'm building this 4Runner to use it. In other words, my body work isn't perfect and my paint won't be either. I'm hoping for a good 20 at 20 job...looks good from 20 feet going 20mph :)

Untitled by Duncan MacDiarmid, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles