El Burro - 1989 4Runner Build

Crenshaw

Adventurer
My wiring situation was quite straightforward, as long as you have all the proper diagrams it's not a terrible task. I did a real basic initial wiring job using wire nuts so I could switch things around as necessary and then soldered and shrink wrapped everything once I knew it was good to go.

The swap (providing you're going from 3.0 to 3.4 at least) is literally plug and play other than the wiring adapter and exhaust crossover. There is another truck here in town that actually is using a stock crossover and a real weird exhaust routing- it's kind of strange but apparently works alright. I was always under the impression that the modified crossover was an absolute requirement.

I'm gonna cut and paste this post into the 3.4 swap thread for the sake of archiving info...

TheCascadeKid

Observer
I believe I finally sorted out my starter issues tonight. After going over all my grounds and battery terminal connections again I determined my + terminal connection was sub par and there was some corrosion on the contacts. I cleaned up anything that wasn't shinny clean metal and was able to get the 4runner to start about every 4th time I turned the key. Better, but not fixed. After reading numerous locations about voltage drop between the ignition switch and starter solenoid I finally decided to test mine. 4crawler has a good description of how to do this here.

In my swap I used the 3.4 starter which does not have a spade connector, so rather than create the pig tail like in his description I simply cut the wire leading to the starter solenoid where I had soldered it into my ECU wiring harness. I won't have any additional splices so no harm no foul. I turned the key to the on position, crawled into the wheel well and touched the newly trimmed and stripped wire to the 12V wire running from the battery to the starter.

VROOOOOMMM!

She has never started so emphatically. I repeated the experiment a number of times like a giddy child on Christmas morning to confirm the issue. In the following clip I didn't have the key in the on position so only the starter turns over, but you get the idea.

So what's the long term fix? Use the original starter solenoid signal wire to switch a relay with a fresh 12V line running to the starter solenoid. There are kits sold by hotshot, or you can pick up the pieces a bit cheaper one by one to wire in this mod. I already have the unused 3.0 starter relay still attached to my fender, so I'll put it to use. I knew I left it there for a reason :)

More detailed explanation of this fairly common issue here if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I remember when I yanked mine out, it was pretty much just as bad even though it was a virtually rust free truck.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
I spent the day tinkering on el burro and was even able to install a few parts that have been kicking around my garage for years. Finished grinding out all the rust around my windshield, patched any leak paths, and then finished with a coat of rust prevention paint. Ready for a new windshield.

In chasing my leak I had the dash ripped apart. I think I speak for most people when I say this is not a pleasant task. I took advantage of the opportunity to hard mount and wire in the back light for my inclinometer. A craigslist score from at least three years ago that has been kicking around laundry rooms, garages, and the foot well of the 4Runner for just as long. The passenger fender was off for the same reason as my dash, so I decided it was time to clear out another item from the stockpile of parts littering my garage. Now i just need to find a puddle to make sure this snorkel isn't unnecessary expo bling :)

Rust free!

Gauge install

Last edited:

Nomadlife

Wow, great thread! The fiberglass work on the hood came out awesome! Nice attention to detail all the way around. One of the most difficult things about a project of this scope is keeping momentum. Way to keep at it!

-Kevin

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Unfortunately I did a stupid thing and sold my 4runner half torn apart for far less than it was worth... Long story. So I never did get the windshield back in. From what I recall most guys say the best thing is to get someone to come do it on site (Using a universal gasket and eliminating the chrome trim) At least I THINK that's the best route??? It's been a while since I looked to be honest.

I remember tearing the dash out of mine to do the heater core. That was the worst friggin weekend ever. I'd rather swap an engine than do that crap ever again. Did you find that it was just put together so oddly? Like a million fasteners in the weirdest places? (Previous experience was Nissan S Chassis... Which are like <10 bolts to get the dash out on)

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Thanks, @ Blind Cleric. It's still covered in rust, but has good bones and things are finally trending in the right direction!

@Battleaxe - Your memory serves you well. No one could forget the pain that is dissembling this dash. I must of removed over 2 dozen nuts bolts and screws, multiple sections of heater ducting, vents (impossible not to crack!), and spewed more than a few choice words before I finally got the dash pad off.

I have a new window install scheduled for Wednesday afternoon (excuse to start the holiday weekend a little early :beer: :beer: :beer: ) and went with the generic trim option. It seems to be the preferred method from the forums.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Took the dogs out to put a few miles on the 4Runner and even found some dirt. The swap seems to be running great and it was nice to finally get some mud on the tires.

Back on Dirt

Last edited:

O.B.A.K

Sub'd for a classic runner and 3.4 swap dreams! Awesome build, thanks for keeping us up to date on here. She's a beaut!

TheCascadeKid

Observer
Thanks, O.B.A.K. Unfortunately I totaled my daily driver traveling back from the holidays and was t-boned in my taco three days later. Luckily neither wreck resulted in serious injuries, but it means the 4Runner is my only rig. Hopefully I'll have my truck back soon and can return to making progress in the evenings after work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles