1961 Land Rover adventure...'cause Rovering is always an adventure

blauvelt

Observer
Picked up a '61 series 2 truck. It has the factory PTO drive installed and an OD. Been in the bay having some work done pending a bit of fun in the hills around Tahoe. So far, been focusing on the easy and aesthetic. Swapped tires out for something period, found out the wheels are horribly beaten and will need to get replaced. Had a new exhaust built to get it tucked up and out of the way. Right now it is getting the clutch adjusted and a tune up done.

Rover%20%20CJ5.jpg

With new shoes, not worried about the noise as the straight cut gears in the OD drown almost everything else out.

IMG_7274.jpg

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have about 2-1/2 of those behind my garage if anyone else wants to live that particular dream. PM me, I'm thinking it is getting close to time to unload them... but not even close to free.

Note they are basically completely disassembled... so much more satisfaction when you get to learn how each piece fits!

😳

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Just FYI, those are goodyear Xtra Grips. I had them. Stupid good traction off road and in the mud. They just grabbed everything. Pretty awesome.

Thanks! I thought we were done for in tire selection when you stopped seeing michelin XZL's

blauvelt

Observer
154_1303_03-march_2013_vintage_vault-jeep_cj_5_in_1974_score_baja_500.jpg

That is my compatriots CJ5. It raced in the Baja 500 in the late 60's/early 70's. There are so many brilliant bits of engineering all over that Jeep. Much of what we buy off the shelf, Art Archer was building himself from his imagination back then.

Always wanted a series. I'd be interested in a side by side with your cj

Last edited:

blauvelt

Observer
The early 70's maaco job is peeling off in spots, if I get super bored one day I may attack with a razor blade and see if I can encourage more of it to liberate itself. failing that, polish with a wheel and see what I get...it is almost art work with the original blue and ally body showing through in spots.

Nice patina - don't even think about painting it.

LR Max

Local Oaf
The tires a "Power King" super traction. 7.50 x 16" 10 ply tires. They are tall and narrow, not the best for low ground pressure or road noise, but the aesthetic is spot on.

I've found the opposite. They worked well in the swamps (well, right up until the axles started dragging) and other muddy situations. But being bias ply, they sucked on the road, especially in the winter as they would flat spot overnight, and just never round out on a short commute.

Either way, modern radial tires...so nice...

blauvelt

Observer
Don't get me wrong, the BFG All Terrains were a serious temptation to keep, but really going for the "look". Anyways it is going to live in Houston where it will be a nice grocery getter and pub hopper...until...

I've found the opposite. They worked well in the swamps (well, right up until the axles started dragging) and other muddy situations. But being bias ply, they sucked on the road, especially in the winter as they would flat spot overnight, and just never round out on a short commute.

Either way, modern radial tires...so nice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier