Drifta Drawers? Anyone have them?

GXWagon

Adventurer
Hey there,

I am looking at storage solutions for my Toyota 4runner. Either building my own or going with a drifta drawer type solution. Does anyone here have a set of drifta drawers that would be willing to provide some input on how they work for you. Noticable Pro's and Con's? Cheers!!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
That Drifta setup looks nice but the price sure seems like a lot, especially if a person can build their own. And that's the OZ price, how much is it in the States? Sure like that pull out table.
I also note that they're using teflon glide strips rather than metal tracks and thereby maximizing their drawer space.

GXWagon

Adventurer
That Drifta setup looks nice but the price sure seems like a lot, especially if a person can build their own. And that's the OZ price, how much is it in the States? Sure like that pull out table.
I also note that they're using teflon glide strips rather than metal tracks and thereby maximizing their drawer space.

I agree. I think it would be much nicer to build my own based on the drifta style. To build my own I would be curiose what kind of space is between the drawers and the side walls. So they are snug but still slide. Thoughts?

Abe Froman

Adventurer
IMG_6499.JPGYou may be surprised by the quote from Drifta.
They ship bulk orders to the US relatively frequently.
The exchange rate makes it pretty attractive vs the vendors in the US.
I was quoted a decent price and never pulled the trigger and I need to revisit that idea.
My quote was less than an ARB drawer system and way less than the adventure trailers, goose gear, and others that use the drawer slides that waste space.
Email them for a quote and see.

I just looked through my email and found my quote from them for $2,000 AU $ including shipping to US. Two large drawers on one side, fridge slide, table, and drawer dividers etc.
That works out to about $1500 USD
My vehicle is jeep JKU, so not same vehicle in photo, but same basic configuration.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
I agree. I think it would be much nicer to build my own based on the drifta style. To build my own I would be curiose what kind of space is between the drawers and the side walls. So they are snug but still slide. Thoughts?

I probably detailed it at the tim eI did it, in my build thread. Off the top of my head I might have left a 1/16" difference, maybe a touch more, knowing that I was painting the sides of the drawers.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161631-Storage-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

GXWagon

Adventurer

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I spent 15 years making and installing cabinets (including cabinet drawers). Here's the secret: If the slides are spec'd at 1/2 inch each, build your box O.D at 1 1/16 less than the box size I.D.. This will give you some adjustment (made by prying the drawer slides lightly away from the cabinet body) if too loose. You can't fix "too tight" without taking material out of either the drawers or the body...or building something twice. GXWagon had it right, most drawes are build to be 1 inch less in height than the cabinet opening and set 1/4 inch from the bottom when in use.

Good luck!

RV4021

I was reading this thread last night and got excited about Drifta. Before I went to bed I sent them an email asking about shipping to the USA. Below is the response I received today. I am bummed because I was really digging their products.

Hey Robert. Sorry we're not shipping to the USA...we've tried many times and
each attempt proves too difficult - US customs don't want any imported goods
it seems.

If you could arrange your own shipping from Australia to you then we can
work something out, but this is something you need to work out before hand.

Let me know if you can work the shipping - then we can look at some fit out
options.

Regards...
Mark Beech
Production Manager
Drifta Camping Kitchens
p: +61 2 6558 2328
f: +61 2 6558 1838
www.drifta.com.au

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
Drifta Van Back kitchen/Drawer unit

I contacted Kakadu about a DCB (Car back) kitchen, which was out of stock, but the did have a VBC in stock in Seattle. I have not done much with it, other than unbox and put in my office at home, I will have to take some pictures when I get home. Overall, I like the set up, but will have to remove the VBC from the vehicle in order to access the drawers which is ok because the unit will serve as dual purpose in my steal cargo trailer as well. Pics to follow tonight.

GXWagon

Adventurer
I spent 15 years making and installing cabinets (including cabinet drawers). Here's the secret: If the slides are spec'd at 1/2 inch each, build your box O.D at 1 1/16 less than the box size I.D.. This will give you some adjustment (made by prying the drawer slides lightly away from the cabinet body) if too loose. You can't fix "too tight" without taking material out of either the drawers or the body...or building something twice. GXWagon had it right, most drawes are build to be 1 inch less in height than the cabinet opening and set 1/4 inch from the bottom when in use.

Good luck!

Since we cannont get Drifta shipped to the USA I will move forward with building my own for the 120 platform. I will start a thread and go through my build process. First step is to measure and lay out the blue print. Then take it to home depot and make the saw guy do all the hard work. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior