Magilla Gorilla pops his top

opt overland

Observer
IMG_1702.JPG

Cheers,

I'm finally getting around to posting something worthy of being on the forum. This place has been my go to for many a inspiration over the years. Thanks to all who have contributed and helped me along the way. I come from the Volkswagen world and they are my primary passion but a 2011 Ford Econoline E350 fell into my lap and I figured why not. I've contemplated a ton of different scenarios for this build and think I've landed on whats going to work best for us. The van world is an expensive one so I try to conserve cash by doing my own upgrades. I plan to have a mid height pop top with a roof rack. Along with some black out panels for the rear glass that can be accessorized with gear and add more privacy. A simple platform bed below for the kiddos with integrated storage. A small amount of solar eventually, and simple camp setup. I'm not a fan of cooking in the van so a Coleman stove and probably a chest fridge. Oh and some cool lighting to set the mood. I'll also address the not so desireable suspension. I've gotten a jump start on the build here's some pics.
IMG_1695.jpg
I've been working on a side ladder, I like the overall fit for a tin top but I've got a buddy with a pop top and his ladder top mounts don't work with the top coming down on it. I'll come up with something that won't damage the bulb seal when coming down.
IMG_1697.jpg
Here's the van with the top fresh from the glassers. I wanted a top that was relatively flat on top for the lift system and had some style. This is what I came up with.
IMG_1696.jpg
Preliminary roof cutout, wasn't sure if I wanted a small cutout or full. Ultimately I decided on a full walk thru cutout.
IMG_1692.jpg
Here's my template for the black out panels, I'm going to cut them out of aluminum and add accessory mounts for a set of traxx and probably a rotopax
IMG_1694.jpg
This is my plan for the upper frame structure of the lift mechanism.
IMG_1698.jpg
IMG_1699.jpg
I have friends with both Sport Mobiles tops and CCV tops. Both companies have their positives and negatives. I created a list of all the things I wanted to make better from both systems and also wanted to be completely different. I wanted to address leaky canvas material, the wonky non-level top the sags to one side or the other, screen material that comes apart, bolts that start to unseat themselves from the frame structure when raised and lowered, there were a couple safety issues I took note of and wanted to address and reduce the overall weight since it's on top of the van and the center of gravity is high.

I have nearly this entire week open to work on the van, that is if I can get the front differential and decoupler in my wife's Syncro installed first. I'll keep y'all updated on the progress.

May the force be with you!

Abitibi

Explorer
This is gonna be interesting, subscribed!!!

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Timjim

Observer
Awesome!! I thought long and hard about attempting something like this, but I just don't have the time right now.

Linear slides!! Awesome! those things are burly. Good thinking.

Can't wait to see the progress.

Where and what top do you have there??

opt overland

Observer
Awesome!! I thought long and hard about attempting something like this, but I just don't have the time right now.

Linear slides!! Awesome! those things are burly. Good thinking.

Can't wait to see the progress.

Where and what top do you have there??

Thanks,

The top is a collaborative effort between us and 5280 fabrications. Most tops that are made have a pretty strong curve or arch to them. While that's fine for a fixed top situation, it's not ideal for a pop top. In addition to Magilla we had another friend wanting to do the same thing so it made sense to invest in our own top.

Timjim

Observer
I was curious who manufactured the actual top. Its a nice one and haven't seen it before.

Again, can't wait to see the finished result!

hcdfower

TheYeti
Looks awesome. Curious about who made the top. I too am looking for something flat on top that I can use to build a pop top.

opt overland

Observer
Looks awesome. Curious about who made the top. I too am looking for something flat on top that I can use to build a pop top.
It's our in house mold that we modified for our setup, we have a mid height and a high top version for both regular body and extended. We're also making a transit specific pop top!

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
I'm subscribed and looking forward to this as I've a similar plan in the works. That glass top is awesome!

I feel compelled to mention, and do not want it to be misconstrued as criticism, but you might look at some modification at the bottom of your side mounted ladder to make the ladder less apt to get hung on rocks or vegetation at the bottom- maybe curl it back into the van and attach as you would a nerf bar. Maybe you already plan this, just trying to be helpful in advance of a potential ladder catastrophe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94