2003 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT build

boss324

Observer
I wasn't able to install as I needed the Cognito endlinks that allow clearance for the Rare Parts tie rods last weekend. So Cognito Endlinks SBELKHD-1000 we're ordered and came in yesterday. So first thing this morning the work began. These fit stock height to 3" leveled trucks and SUV's.

9f3126fd806af577529ec43d5d4c7688.jpg

952db37ecee1b7d6c4644fcd503064b7.jpg

fad34ee79c56fd3214976ddb954cc2bc.jpg

59fb3a6de877471f62032486d4d971be.jpg

7b3a2e0422f5d3dd1a5eff5bacc9e0ce.jpg

e3536a2ae81471674a1b21caba557295.jpg

91ed199a55b5e2e573b59404feec226b.jpg

0041871777e3c049a12bbc70fc5207bc.jpg

8a7f3b8ec630bdd6d539460071790f9f.jpg

Notice how the steering stabilizer has much more clearance. Just got her aligned nice tight and straight! Really happy with these upgrades.
No more worrying about bent tie rods. I also found a busted boot on the right tie rod. Oh and an alignment is a must lol!

Next some new rotors and brakes pads still on the OE pads. Although it still looks like plenty of pad left...so may not tackle that just yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app
55bb68c47a620410759e8ef9ffdfc793.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fl0w3n

Observer
Awesome! How do you like those fox shocks? I had the 5100s on my Duramax and wasn't sure I liked them. I don't have much to compare to though.

I didn't run the front sway bar, I liked the way it rode and handled with out it.

boss324

Observer
Awesome! How do you like those fox shocks? I had the 5100s on my Duramax and wasn't sure I liked them. I don't have much to compare to though.

I didn't run the front sway bar, I liked the way it rode and handled with out it.
Love the fox shocks on road and off. Although only other shock I can compare is the Rancho and OE.

rayra

Expedition Leader
were there specific instructions from cognito to install the end link bottom saddle brackets in that orientation? Because I think you'll find their axis of motion ought to be oriented 90deg from how they sit. So the end links can pivot in a fore and aft direction, in alignment with the vehicle, rather than pivot like the control arms do. As you've pictured them, they appear to me like they'd bind / restrict free motion of the sway bar in relation to the lower control arm. But I might be mistaken.

eta illustration of what I'm trying to convey

The sway bar pivots up and down on the frame brackets. The end describes a shallow vertical arc.
That vertical arc shifts the upper end of the end link rod foreward and rearward on an axis aligned with the length of the vehicle.
In that end link bottom saddle / pivot orientation, there's no pivot action. All the stress is on the weld of the rod to the pivot.
If the saddles are turned 90deg to align their pivot action with that of the sway bar, it should function more properly.
Also by comparison, go look at how the bottom ends of your rear end links are aligned. The axis of rotation. I'm saying the fronts should be oriented the same.

cognitobind_zpsl2kugsck.jpg

Last edited:

boss324

Observer
were there specific instructions from cognito to install the end link bottom saddle brackets in that orientation? Because I think you'll find their axis of motion ought to be oriented 90deg from how they sit. So the end links can pivot in a fore and aft direction, in alignment with the vehicle, rather than pivot like the control arms do. As you've pictured them, they appear to me like they'd bind / restrict free motion of the sway bar in relation to the lower control arm. But I might be mistaken.

eta illustration of what I'm trying to convey

The sway bar pivots up and down on the frame brackets. The end describes a shallow vertical arc.
That vertical arc shifts the upper end of the end link rod foreward and rearward on an axis aligned with the length of the vehicle.
In that end link bottom saddle / pivot orientation, there's no pivot action. All the stress is on the weld of the rod to the pivot.
If the saddles are turned 90deg to align their pivot action with that of the sway bar, it should function more properly.
Also by comparison, go look at how the bottom ends of your rear end links are aligned. The axis of rotation. I'm saying the fronts should be oriented the same.

cognitobind_zpsl2kugsck.jpg

This pic is before everything was torqed down.

It's hard to install wrong as you won't be able to line up to the steering stabilizer with the endlinks. The endlinks do rotate when tightened so I held the endlinks in place with a cresent wrench while tightening.

562a1fe18fcbc70dfb50c1ce60775fe4.jpg

The same side finished I included in the post. Oh and the inner tie rod dust boot got all twisted in when installing but just slid off the back on all good.

a14fccabd3501a448d04fa977e873483.jpg

Watch "Chevy 2500HD Cognito Front HD Sway Bar" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/aib4jgM9PSs

Last edited:

boss324

Observer
Some initial feedback since doing the Rare parts and Cognito endlinks. What a difference the new tie rods make. It really does tightened steering with more precision. I used to have slack in the steering wheel; also big bumps used to shudder the front end of the Burb. With the tie rods replaced it feels more solid you do still feel it but the shudder is gone. Stable at high speed one thing I missed on stock setup was the ability to drive 80-85 mph without feeling the vibration and loose floaty feeling from the steering wheel. I am sure I would get this feeling back even if I did new OE tie rods. My setup was worn no doubt due to the 33" tires vs 31 and 116k. It really drives like a new truck.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Glad to hear your truck is running the way you want Boss. Those oversize tie rods are what you need. Post some pics of your fine rig when you get the chance. Cheers, Chilli..:)

boss324

Observer
Glad to hear your truck is running the way you want Boss. Those oversize tie rods are what you need. Post some pics of your fine rig when you get the chance. Cheers, Chilli..:)
All that work had to give her a good detail this weekend! Thanks Chilli!
82a459c63c259942a17b6351d45b8d42.jpg

RikFlairWoo

Observer
Looks great. You really have me considering the the Cognito leveling kit now. You think I would need new front shocks at that point?

boss324

Observer
Looks great. You really have me considering the the Cognito leveling kit now. You think I would need new front shocks at that point?
What model/year is your rig. I would do the at minimum the UCA and Bilstein or Fox. Also if you don't add a 1 inch ubolt kit you stance will have that prerunner look (front higher than rear) which didn't look right to me. You can do the suspension upgrades over time like I did. As you need to swap just out for better components.

Last edited:

snowblind

Adventurer
Some initial feedback since doing the Rare parts and Cognito endlinks. What a difference the new tie rods make. It really does tightened steering with more precision. I used to have slack in the steering wheel; also big bumps used to shudder the front end of the Burb. With the tie rods replaced it feels more solid you do still feel it but the shudder is gone. Stable at high speed one thing I missed on stock setup was the ability to drive 80-85 mph without feeling the vibration and loose floaty feeling from the steering wheel. I am sure I would get this feeling back even if I did new OE tie rods. My setup was worn no doubt due to the 33" tires vs 31 and 116k. It really drives like a new truck.

Hey Boss. Looking good.

Did you do idler and pitman arms at the same time? My shop thought they were fine but we had a lot of issues setting alignment and realized that they were worn.

Matt

boss324

Observer
Hey Boss. Looking good.

Did you do idler and pitman arms at the same time? My shop thought they were fine but we had a lot of issues setting alignment and realized that they were worn.

Matt
That's next on my radar however they seem fine my alignment is spot on. No more steering play so will wait until I see tire wear then replace with Rare Parts HD pitman/Idler arms. My biggest problem really were worn shocks, endlinks, bumpstops were gone, Cognito PISK brace for leveled ride/bigger tires and bad tie rod.

Last edited:

boss324

Observer
It's a 2004 Tahoe 4x4. I recently put the Fox 2.0s on, but they are only made for 0-1" of lift, or so they say.
Ok gotcha well I think your good to go lots other options out there for Tahoe's and 1500 Suburban. Cognito solutions are really geared toward solving GM IFS on 2500 series trucks and SUV, and H2 Hummers. Yes Cognito are spendy but worth it IMO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=200...ndroid-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears