2003 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT build

boss324

Observer
Cool, thank you for the info. May end up doing just keys since I only need an inch or so of lift
Sweet. Keep us in the loop! Also seen your post about ride quality and based on just going through the same process this is what I recommend:

Replace sway bar endlinks and bushings
Replace bumpstop
Lube all steering/suspension components such as tie rods, idle/pitman arms UCA.

Invest in a grease gun Harbor Freight carries a good selection for not much money.

Cheers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boss324

Observer
I love how Rare Parts included sales slick in my tie rod box to help me spend my money! I guess I know what to replace next...idler/pitman arms maybe idler arm bracket..just never ends.
1c9778ed3c6165aa76173d92b7e7a4bf.jpg

Last edited:

RikFlairWoo

Observer
Thank you for the info, I am going to measure my sway bar and order parts asap. I looked up bumpstops yesterday and kept getting different part #'s. I think I'll just see what they have at O'Reilly unless someone here has the part #'s handy.

boss324

Observer

Jelorian

Adventurer
Your rig is going to be one nice riding beast! Thanks for all the updates! I want to upgrade my front suspension components as well at some point and although I have a Z71 1500, the info and pointers to resources are invaluable for when the time comes for me. Cheers!

BTW, hope you, Boss324, can make it to the Emeryville meet at the Black Diamond Cafe on the morning of the 21st.

boss324

Observer
Your rig is going to be one nice riding beast! Thanks for all the updates! I want to upgrade my front suspension components as well at some point and although I have a Z71 1500, the info and pointers to resources are invaluable for when the time comes for me. Cheers!

BTW, hope you, Boss324, can make it to the Emeryville meet at the Black Diamond Cafe on the morning of the 21st.
Jelorion yeah I have to RSVP but will see you there bud!

snowblind

Adventurer
I love how Rare Parts included sales slick in my tie rod box to help me spend my money! I guess I know what to replace next...idler/pitman arms maybe idler arm bracket..just never ends.

I went with the Kryptonite / dmaxstore.com. bracket and a stock idler.

The brace provides triangular support between the frame and the idler. The factory mount for the idler is very thin and this brace should add considerable stiffness.

attachment.php

The brace is designed for a 2500 truck but they must have a different support piece on the front of the frames than the 2500 SUV because it would not fit without modification. I had to cut off a slice of the left side to make it work.

attachment.php

After bolting it up it we welded it to the frame along the left edge, bottom edge and inside the three holes.

attachment.php

Matt

boss324

Observer
I went with the Kryptonite / dmaxstore.com. bracket and a stock idler.

The brace provides triangular support between the frame and the idler. The factory mount for the idler is very thin and this brace should add considerable stiffness.

attachment.php

The brace is designed for a 2500 truck but they must have a different support piece on the front of the frames than the 2500 SUV because it would not fit without modification. I had to cut off a slice of the left side to make it work.

attachment.php

After bolting it up it we welded it to the frame along the left edge, bottom edge and inside the three holes.

attachment.php

Matt
Nice thanks for the insight very helpful. BTW do you recall what size the sway bar bushings size is? 33mm 32mm or?

boss324

Observer
I can report back the endlinks really take the harshness out of the ride and same with the HD tie rod ups when hitting potholes. Really happy with this setup thus far. I ordered some energy sway bar bushings (1 3/8 36mm) to finish the front end and now thinking about doing some Sulastic shackles for the leaf springs for the rear. Shackles should take some of the harshness away from the solid rear axle and HD leaf springs. Wife and kids should be happy once done.
4f8b41add1e1dbfb213b6ae9f6bc0f46.jpg
02f33eca5311fe8bcbf9774c2d390561.jpg

boss324

Observer
Energy sway bar bushings came in today. My Suburban has 36mm 1 3/8 sway bar which in most parts store or online stores show only up to 33mm 1 5/16th a pain to locate. These are only available with the endlinks which I didn't need but can keep for the poly bushings on the endlinks when needed.
7b768fbc777f09d71ed5d826837840ea.jpg
40836935029b46b21044709cb9baff85.jpg

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
Boss324 - Your ride is looking really clean and I like the focus on quality moderate (livable) mods you have gone with. I just got a bone stock 2500 gmt800 ccsb. I'm going to use a cognito 3" kit and was wondering if you could give me some specifics on your wheels and tires? What brands and size are both? I think your set up is pretty spot on for what I'm going to do. Thanks for your build thread and info.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

calsdad

I can report back the endlinks really take the harshness out of the ride and same with the HD tie rod ups when hitting potholes. Really happy with this setup thus far. I ordered some energy sway bar bushings (1 3/8 36mm) to finish the front end and now thinking about doing some Sulastic shackles for the leaf springs for the rear. Shackles should take some of the harshness away from the solid rear axle and HD leaf springs. Wife and kids should be happy once done.
4f8b41add1e1dbfb213b6ae9f6bc0f46.jpg
02f33eca5311fe8bcbf9774c2d390561.jpg

Did you ever get the Sulastic shackles installed?

I bought a pair for my 2003 2500 Suburban - and could never seem to get them to fit.

They've been sitting on the shelf in my shop - and now I'm thinking I'd like to install them on my 2010 Yukon XL 2500 , but the 2500 series SUVs use pretty much the same frame in both the GMT800 and GMT900 models - so it looks like they're going to have the same problem (interference with the spring mount).

bigdogyj

Did you ever get the Sulastic shackles installed?

I bought a pair for my 2003 2500 Suburban - and could never seem to get them to fit.

They've been sitting on the shelf in my shop - and now I'm thinking I'd like to install them on my 2010 Yukon XL 2500 , but the 2500 series SUVs use pretty much the same frame in both the GMT800 and GMT900 models - so it looks like they're going to have the same problem (interference with the spring mount).

Curious about what part of them doesnt fit? is it the width of the unit or something to do with the back extra flex joint on the back side?
I’m curious about adding them to my 04 2500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94