2003 Chevy Suburban 2500 LT build

boss324

Observer
Hey all -

Thought I'd post up my build up of my 2003 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban LT purchased new in 2003. Factory equipped : Vortec 6.0 LQ4 325hp/360tq, 4L80E HD Transmission, AutoTrac 4WD with hi/lo, skid plates, G80 auto-locker, 14 bolt full float 4.10 gears. Every available option with the exception of the load leveling rear air suspension, 4 wheel steering and the 8.1 big block.

Current setup:
  • MB 352 wheels 16x8.5 on 285/75/16 BFG KO2
  • Cognito 2.5" leveling kit with Fox 2.0 shocks front/rear
  • Cognito PISK (pitman and idler arm brace)
  • Cognito endlinks
  • Cognito 2" u-bolt kit to maintain the factory rake
  • Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
  • Supersprings Sumo bump stop
  • Rare Parts HD G2 Tie Rods
  • Full LED conversion interior and exterior
  • Headlight and fog lights Silverstar ZXE 4300k halogen
  • Optima Yellow Top
  • NGK Spark Iridium plugs with new OE COPS

With current setup:

Next up:
  • Rare Parts idler pivot with gusset
  • Rare Parts HD pitman/idler arms
  • Rare Parts HD G2 Tie Rods - done
  • Sulastic Shackles
  • Roof rack undecided yet
  • Tepui Roof Top Tent Kekenum XL rugged
  • Supersprings rear leaf spring support
  • Front ARB Bull bar bumper with 12lb winch
  • Undecided yet on rear bumper w/ tire carrier setup

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Sweet! That is a great setup. Your front end upgrades are pretty much what I plan to do to mine. I was waiting for things to get a little loose to make the excuse but it's still tight. How does it ride with that setup compared to stock? Did it have something like Bilsteins prior to the Fox? I ask because I upgraded to Bilsteins but still have to sit down to make the ride comfortable on the dirt. Did you swap in a full floater? I didn't think the 6.0's came with them.

boss324

Observer
Rides night and day as I had the OEMs front and out back dampening was terrible. 100k so they served me well. I can relate to upfitting as you go! I have other hobbies and priorities...Lol looks like if I get into this more going to sell my built 03 Mercury Marauder.

I did the UCA and front shocks first, I waited about a year later and did the steering brace. I experienced steering wobble when hitting big bumps or pot holes over time. Then a few months later did the sumo bump stops and steering stabilizer as it still wandered and felt like it bottomed out coming off drop offs off road. Then another few months did the u-bolt block and shocks. The rear dampening was killing my passengers and me no rebound just one big jolting bump. I would say the dampening is much better, more controlled but combined with the bump stop up front made it feel OE again! I am not sure you need to go from the Bilstein to Fox unless you do long distance travel on dirt roads or wheeling. From what I recall Bilstein's are the better choice if ride quality on paved roads with some off-road use was what you where looking for. Where as the Fox can handle the heat dissipation better for sustained off road use. In either case I would have been OK. The Fox is a little beefier as well. Yes all 2500 burbs of our years came from factory with FF.

Fox vs. Bilstein http://www.gmc4x4.com/topic/3168-fox-vs-bilstein-a-comparison/

I would keep your Bilsteins and swap out your bump stops with the Sumo or larger after market ones. Mine crumbled when I pulled off! I have seen bump stops 30-100+. I think I paid $70-80 for my sumos.

Last edited:

boss324

Observer
Also if you look at the attached picture with the UCA the supersprings sumo bump stop will activate much sooner than OEM. So this would help the Bilsteins as it would not have to absorb as much as it would with the worn OE ones.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Boss and thanks for posting pics of your nice `Burb´I am looking forward to seeing more pics of your rig with some action out in the bush. Thanks for posting. Cheers, Chilli...:)

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Another Suburban! Love those 8.5" wide wheels. Really fill out the wheel wells.

I've been staring at the Cognito leveling kit for a year now for my '04 1500 Suburban. Can someone educate me on *why* I need new control arms?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Another Suburban! Love those 8.5" wide wheels. Really fill out the wheel wells.

I've been staring at the Cognito leveling kit for a year now for my '04 1500 Suburban. Can someone educate me on *why* I need new control arms?
I'm no expert but my understanding is that as long as you are just "leveling" (2-3" of lift in front) you shouldn't.

boss324

Observer
Thanks fellas. Everything I've done to this point is based on making the burb more capable off road with each mode building off another as my budget allows. I keep form and function in mind as dollars invested need to make sure it becomes more capable first buy hey I don't mind looking good too!

Weakest link on the GMT800 as you all know is the IFS so money toward that first beefing up with the future modlist in an earlier post. Since I am fortunate to have a 2500 the G80 and 14 bolt rear are already stout for what I want to do. I must admit the 2.0" ubolt kit wasn't needed can go with the 1" but didn't like the prerunner look...Lol front end higher than the rear.

boss324

Observer
The Cognito UCA correct the stock UCA angles when leveled as well as giving you more drop travel resulting in a much better ride. Not to mention if you have 80k+ miles might as well swap out with something better? I wanted to maintain the factory ride so for me it was worth it. Overall beefier than stock component along with sealed ball joint you can replace down the line. What's not to like? Except a lighter wallet?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
The Cognito UCA correct the stock UCA angles when leveled as well as giving you more drop travel resulting in a much better ride. Not to mention if you have 80k+ miles might as well swap out with something better? I wanted to maintain the factory ride so for me it was worth it. Overall beefier than stock component along with sealed ball joint you can replace down the line. What's not to like? Except a lighter wallet?

Yeah that's great feedback. Outside of wanting to beef up my front end a more giving ride at full psi would be nice. Sounds like the UCA helps. I had a feeling part of what I was feeling was from the lack of downtravel. With Bilsteins and airing down the initial harshness went away from me but I still have to drive at slower speeds than I do in our 80 series when the terrain gets more technical. I think this would address that to some degree. That said though, I don't mind it too much, it just rides like a truck. What does get me a little is side to side head whipping you can get going over rough stuff, due to the lack of downtravel and the sway rates. A long day in the dirt can be a little tiring because of that alone. Thanks for the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94