Phantasos - 2016 Ford F250 Lariat Crew Cab

TheColonelJLK

As a lurker for some time, I think i'm past due to start a build thread for my truck, Phantasos. My truck is a 2016 Ford F250 Lariat Crew Cab with the FX4 and & chrome package. I purchased my truck new June 2016. After driving it for 6 months bone stock, I decided to upgrade it to fit my needs. As time goes on and I add mods to my rig, Ill post updates and pictures. Here are the specs:

-Carli 2.5in Backcountry lift with Fox Shocks and full spring leaf packs
-35in x 12.50 x 18in Nitto Ridge Grapplers
-18in x 10in Method Wheels
-Fab Fours Winch mount
-Warn 16.5 Ti winch
-KC Driving lights
-Rigid diffused backup lights
-Powder coated front and rear bumpers black (originally chrome).
-Painted front grille and side mirrors to match factory paint.
-ARE topper with Yakima roof rack
-Decked storage unit
-ARB 50qt fridge

I just had this work completed on my rig last week, so all I have right now are poser/mall crawler shots. As I hit the trails in the next week or so, I'll post more pictures of my rig in action.

Last edited:

HayPreston

Love your build. I recently picked up a 2007 f250 and I'm looking to do something similar. Do you find that 2.5" lift gives you enough Flex and Tuck to negotiate tough obstacles while maintaining a lower COG and staying a bit for economic? I was thinking of doing a 4" and staying with 35s for the room to flex and tuck.
Also, did you save a good chunk of cash while maintaining quality by getting a lift kit and the shocks separately?
I see that you have just gotten these parts installed and haven't had the chance to play yet, so take your time and put it to the test, have fun, and when you're ready let me know what you think.

thanks, and again, I love the rig!

Copperhead14

Observer
I'd like to hear how you like the decked system. I have installed a few at my part time upfitter job. Really well designed.

glock7018

Nice. How much of a differnece did the rear springs make? I just have the carli mini packs in mine.

Attachments

• EXPO 2.jpg
    EXPO 2.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 39
  • EXPO 1.jpg
    EXPO 1.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 37

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Nice mods so far OP. I have a 2016 that I have used as my daily for the past 14 months. I was searching out another rig to build but I figured I'll just build what I already have and maybe I'll tone it down a tad so that it's still realistic and comfortable as a DD. What were you charged to have the grille insert painted? I hate the chrome on mine and I have been contemplating having it done as well. I didn't think that you could reliably paint the chromed plastic and expect it not to flake over time. Did you purchase a bare black plastic insert to have it painted?

TheColonelJLK

truckcollage.jpgIMG_0273.jpgtruckbed.jpgdeckedstorageunit.jpgcarhart_truck.jpg

Hey fellas thanks for the responses/comments - much appreciated. Sorry for the delay on the getting back to your questions. I have been out playing the last few weeks with limited service (not complaining).

Since my original post, I have purchased some Carhart seat covers from the local Ford Dealership for my goldens, and boy are they worth it - very strong and I like how they match the interior of my truck.

As far as the Decked storage, it is a very strong, sturdy unit that can take some serious abuse. My only complaint, and it is small one at this, is small items, like a water bottle, can get trapped behind the unit thru the sides where it butts up with the bed. There is just enough room for **** to get back there and the only way to retrieve it is remove the storage bins, which is somewhat of PIA, but oh well. I've only 'lost' a Nalgene bottle. The right storage slide out has my skis, ski boots, poles with a little extra room to spare, so yes they are deep units that provide more than enough space for whatever. The left side I use for my recovery and medical gear. I have a portable ARB air compressor that fits perfectly in it.

I am really happy with the new suspension from Carli. It is super soft and flexes well. The foxx shocks are a huge improvement from the stock ranchos, so I can only imagine was King's would feel like on this bad boy. As far as 2.5 vs 4in lift, I personally think 4in and bigger lifts make these trucks too damn big, and like it was mentioned, afraid the COG would be out of whack on trails, esp steep inlcline, but again that's my opinion, so those who have 4in and higher please oblige to letting me know your experiences with your setup. I am happy with the 2.5 and 35's for provides plenty of clearance and flex for most trails. I saved myself A LOT of money going with the 2.5in vs 4in between tires to actually suspension cost so yes, I no desire to go any higher of a lift. If I can't go over a certain obstacle with my current setup, then it's just not to meant to be and I'll find a different route. I might longterm invest in some bags for the rear since I am going to be a nomad for the next year or so.

Having my front grille and side mirrors painted to match was $400. I had my bumpers powder coated and I have yet to have any issues with either and that cost me $200. I contemplated using factory black bumpers from an XL but didnt feel like going thru the hassle of selling my bumpers locally. I am so so so so so happy to get rid of the chrome :wings::wings::wings::wings:

I am currently in St. George exploring Sand Hollow, Zion National Park and other neat places, and as a first timer driving on sand, I did not like it what-so-ever. The sheer weight of my truck made me feel like I was in quick sand continuing to dig myself deeper if I didn't keep steady momentum. Also, being by myself at the time, I decided not to push it for fear of the worst, even with all the recovery gear I have. I will say I had my tires aired down to 17PSI and they felt great the entire time, always holding grip and instead of a spinning feeling. I air them up to 65PSI when I am trailering my 22ft Artic Fox (weighs around 6k at full load) and they are super quiet and don't have the luggy feel to them unlike actual mud tires.

I am in St. George as of today, but pushing onto Vegas tomorrow for a week or so, then to San Diego to pick up a BajaRack for my topper (on 3/14). After that, I will be heading up to Pismo Beach, CA for a photography workshop. If any of you all are in these areas I am going to be, I would love to meet up and explore the backroads instead of by myself. As peaceful as it has been to enjoy Moab and St George by myself, I am ready for a little company and local knowledge on the in's and out's of the area.

Excuse the huge mess, it seems like every time I think about cleaning my truck, it is only going to get dirty again with where I am traveling.

Last edited:

SteelSaguaro

Thanks for the update. I will agree that the thought of burying 4 tons of truck in the sand increases the pucker factor!

I have nearly the same truck.Any reason you chose the ARE over a Lear or ?

TheColonelJLK

Here she is on Berdoo Canyon RD outside Joshua Tree NP. Next mod are some side rails. Anyone have a recommendation?
truck.jpg

As far as the Carhart seat cover, they have yet to disappoint. As said before, they are very durable/sturdy, hold up to water/wet dogs pretty well. The leather seats look great and do not have any rubbing marks, etc from the covers/dogs. I would recommend them to anyone in the market for seat covers.

FireGuy

Adventurer
Looks great. I'm getting ready to build basically the exact same truck. Have been going back and forth between 35's and 37's. How are you liking the 35's? What kind of MPG's are you getting with the lift and tires? I missed that you were in Vegas, would have loved to check it out.

TX03RUBI

Awesome truck. I just ordered a 17' F350 Lariat in Magnetic Gray like yours. Looking to do something similar, but can't decide between 35s and 37s. I'll definitely be following your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94