SoCal help needed - CV axles swap, brakes, shifter assy

gxgn

Observer
Hello, I'm getting closer to have my recently purchased '99 Montero up to date with the maintenance and in good enough shape to trust it for going off-road. I have a couple of things still left to do and I'm looking to see if any of the members here with skills and tools are willing to help (not for free). I'm hopping to meet someone I can trust to help me in the future too, I have the feeling this rig will need more attention in the future.

Here is the scope of the work left to do:

1. Front axles replacement - both side boots are torn and have been for a while, I'll need to replace the axles, I don't trust just replacing the boots. I've never done this type of work but I need to learn, it looks like this is one of the things that could fail offroad and I should carry a spare.
2. Rear brakes - replace pads and rotors - the mechanic said the rotors are too thin and cannot be turned. I've done this before on a bmw, it's probably more difficult on Montero but with some guidance and can do it
3. Swap the shifter for the transfer case - I bought one from an SR here on this forum to avoid all the work required to swap just the bushing. The current linkage is very difficult to shift in 4Llc and has a lot of play - apparently it would be wise to do this before it crumbles on the trail. I'm kind of scared of this job even after checking a few threads here and on the Australian forum.

I was thinking to get the remanufactured Napa MaxDrive series for the cv axles. For the brakes I was thinking of Napa ultra premium ceramic pads and Napa/Altrom rotors. Do you think these are good choices?

I had transfer case and diffs fluids changed with Amsoil. I'll probably have the transmission flush too.

Does anyone have experience with urdreamgarage in LA? I was thinking if they give me some hints I could try to do this if I cannot find anyone available to help here on the forum.

Please help, I would love to get this done this weekend :)

Thank you!
George

Last edited:

gxgn

Observer
Sorry, I forgot to include that, it's a '99 Montero with e-locker - formerly Dan's Wasabi

nckwltn

Explorer
What part of town do you live in?

The gear shifter is an easy swap, and will make a big difference in shift ability.

I did a boot replace on my cv shafts.... most difficult part was figuring out how to disassemble. Gen 2 and 2.5 passenger mounting flanges are not compitable. The bold patterns are off ever so slightly, but spline counts on the shafts are the same.

Rear brakes are really the same as most cars... fronts require removal of hub. Rear is a remove wheel, unbolt caliper, slide off old rotor, slide on new, drop in new pads and reassemble.

Do you have a copy of the fsm?

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

gxgn

Observer
I'm in Huntington Beach but I can drive to anywhere in SoCal if someone is willing to help. The mechanic that inspected the car said it is too late to do a boot replace plus it seems it would be too much work.
Wouldn't a Napa re manufactured be based on an original one? (Or at least a high chance it is an oem reman)
I have a copy of the fsm, I don't find it too easy to follow, it's written for experts.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I can help with the shifter and rear brakes. I've done them both, and it's quite easy. I'm in Yorba Linda. However, I've never done the axels either. I'm available late Saturday morning. If we can get TyTy to swing by, he'll know how to do the axels too.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I might suggest upgrading your shocks at the same time if you've got the coin. I went with the KYB's, but Toasty sells some nice Bilstiens.....

gxgn

Observer
This is great, thank you nwoods, I'll PM you. The shocks are fairly new I think, the suspension was upgraded probably around 20-30k miles before to OME medium load I think.

gxgn

Observer
Hi TyTy, I don't have the parts yet, I'm hoping to get everything by Sat. Plus the weather is very crappy and I don't have a garage :(
I'll PM you to figure out a time that works. Thank you so much!

Offroadmuch

Explorer
General idea of what is involved in a CV axle rebuild? Looks like a thorough cleaning, add appropriate grease and install new boots, unless any parts are particularly worn out. Anything else?
I just realized my cv boots are both torn on the front. So that gets added to my to-do list...

RyanY

Adventurer
The mechanic that inspected the car said it is too late to do a boot replace plus it seems it would be too much work.

Did your mechanic drive your Montero and hear noise from the joints in the front axle shafts? I'm guessing not, and he's merely going by what is the typical recommendation for 99% of the front wheel drive vehicles out there that have torn axle boots: just replace the axle shaft. As you read more about your Montero on the various forums, you'll come to realize that the original Mitsubishi parts that came with it are most often far better quality than anything aftermarket that you can get for it. This applies to alternators, starters, radiators, axle shafts, and much more - parts that will be far more reliable in the long run if they are rebuilt than if you replace them with cheap parts from your corner auto parts store. If you enjoy working on your vehicle and replacing the same part multiple times because it keeps failing, the aftermarket parts will work just fine.

I would listen for any unusual noises from the axle joints, and if you don't hear anything, just pull the axles out, replace the axle boots and the grease inside them, and reinstall them making sure to use a new axle retainer clip on the diff end of the driver's side axle.

gxgn

Observer
Ryan you are correct, I think the mechanic made a general statement after a short drive. The axles don't have the "end of the life" sound but at least one of them has been without grease for a long time, it's dried up. I called Napa, they said it's a fairly low chance the reman would be based on a cheap Chinese part. I remember there was a thread that mention how to spot if it's original or original reman - does anyone know the details or have a picture?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior