James Baroud Versus Bundutec

Hello all,

Like many - I have camped enough wet nights and late setups to begin salivating at the idea of a hardshell RTT.

After many month of research, I have narrowed it down to two products for my 2005 4Runner.

The first, is the James Baroud Evo RTT - in black
Dimensions: 78x55x37 when opened
Mattress Length: 78″ | Width: 54.25″ | Height: 37″
  • Pros
  • Brand recognition and known history + 5 year warranty
  • Study clips
  • Simple system with less to go wrong
  • Fiberglass shell with built in solar and fan
  • aerodynamic
  • Lots of Windows
  • built in ventilation
  • Sponsor of ExPo
  • Taller
  • Cons
  • $4100 price tag
  • No awning, mixed messages about issues during rain
  • mixed feedback as far as closing procedure goes
  • Less Tall

The Second, is the BunduTec BunduTop tent
Video of operation
Mattress Dimensions: 78"x49"
Product Outer 82"x 53" x 39" open

• Pros
  • Awning all around
  • Automatic electric deployment and collapse! (manual backup as well- its a mechanical pulley system)
  • Cheaper price tag of $3,500
  • ease of closing
  • Cons
  • lesser known company and little reviews
  • 2 year warranty
  • more complex, more to go wrong
  • not aerodynamic
  • Aluminum shell, heavier
  • Less wide

Any input or help would be much appreciated!! Also I should keep in mind that group buys and discount may also be a factor, not quite sure whom offers what though.

joelbert

Adventurer
I'm not sure on the first choice what you mean by "mixed messages about issues during rain". I have a Grand Raid XL and no issues during rain. Yes, I don't have an awning, but that's because I haven't fabricated a solution for myself yet.

One word...Autohome.

Has the best warranty and can get parts for tents made back to the 50s.

Although I'm very interested, it does not have the solar nor ventilation options that the James baroud does. Also, less of a view! Though the roof rack on the Maggiolina extreme is very intriguing

Also, warranty means nothing if its crap service. Tepui has set the bar for me and I've heard some negatives about Autohomes care for its customers.

I'm not sure on the first choice what you mean by "mixed messages about issues during rain". I have a Grand Raid XL and no issues during rain. Yes, I don't have an awning, but that's because I haven't fabricated a solution for myself yet.

I mean there is no awning to cover the tent window or entrances. I heard concerns about the mattress getting wet while climbing in and out, and also I have concerns about venting a window if its raining. I'd love to still have a view even though its raining. Did you leave your windows open and the mosquito net was enough to prevent water from entering?

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I would suggest checking out the James Baroud and Bundutec in person. The quality and technology of the James Baroud are hard to beat. Not to mention all of our products are designed and 100% built in house in our facility in Portugal, giving us excellent quality control and finished product. If anything were to go wrong you also have the support of an awesome dealer network including myself. :)

joelbert

Adventurer
I mean there is no awning to cover the tent window or entrances. I heard concerns about the mattress getting wet while climbing in and out, and also I have concerns about venting a window if its raining. I'd love to still have a view even though its raining. Did you leave your windows open and the mosquito net was enough to prevent water from entering?

So far, when I've been camping and it's raining, it's been mostly during the night or not an all day rain where it has not been an issue. There is a triangular window that has a cover that I leave cracked and that with the ceiling fan is enough ventilation so far. Also, the roof does overhang the walls so unless it's a blowing rain, leaving the windows cracked should not be a big deal. I really don't think there are major problems with the design when it comes to rain.

I would suggest checking out the James Baroud and Bundutec in person. The quality and technology of the James Baroud are hard to beat. Not to mention all of our products are designed and 100% built in house in our facility in Portugal, giving us excellent quality control and finished product. If anything were to go wrong you also have the support of an awesome dealer network including myself. :)

I've seen the James Baroud in person....much harder to find a Bundutec. Also, I already talk to you enough on instagram via @jamesbaroudusa and @ok4wd, and your personal. Now expo? hahaha . such a small world. :D

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I've seen the James Baroud in person....much harder to find a Bundutec. Also, I already talk to you enough on instagram via @jamesbaroudusa and @ok4wd, and your personal. Now expo? hahaha . such a small world. :D

I'm a busy guy :coffee: ha

jennajamieson

Innerspring mattresses really deserve a comeback. They're easy to manage, taut, supportive and comfortable for most people. Adding a memory foam topper really makes them perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles