Replacing Canvas on a Northstar TS1000

basfire

I have a super clean 2004 TS1000 that I carry on my 2004.5 3500 Dodge 4x4. The canvas is in good shape but the windows, insect screens and especially zippers are showing their age. Northstar has a new Subzero fabric available that includes all the new tech with windows and zippers, plus the advantage of some weather insulating. Not to give details but I'm not impressed with the local RV dealer that sells and supposedly repairs Northstar so I'm thinking about tackling the job myself. Anyone out there have any experience with this project please chime in. thanks.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
I replaced mine on my shadow cruiser a few years back . I ordered mine from a company that makes them . I would get the new style from North Star . It's not hard just takes time and easier with two people . It is usually screwed to roof inside and then on outside with a trim piece .

basfire

Thanks for your input. It looks straight forward but I always ask folks who have had the experience if there are any hidden gremlins. Will wait for a nice warm day. Probably not until late Spring. Cheers

kerry

Expedition Leader
On my northstar TS1000 the canvas is older too. Thinking of replacing it when I get the roof replaced due to hail damage. Your questionable dealer isn'tnnear Denver I hope.

basfire

Nope, I live near Tahoe. I guess they are normal for the RV business. Unlike automotive where they can give you the labor on any particular job the RV repair business seems to be a black hole of unknown labor time. I will purchase the Sub Zero canvas thru them at a cost of about $950 plus shipping. In addition different metal strips to attach to roof will be needed. I will tackle the job late Spring early Summer.

basfire

Kerry, Do me a favor and contact your local dealer and see what they will charge for install. I have family near you and am constantly in your area. Thanks

kerry

Expedition Leader
I will but it will be part of a roof replacement covered by insurance if I do it, so part of the labor will be included in the roof replacement.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Northstar just quoted me $1350 plus shipping for the insulated canvas. None in stock, would have to be ordered. Mine is the standard TS1000. Seems pricey to me.

basfire

Interesting as the Northstar Dealer I'm going through got a price from the factory for about $950 plus shipping. I'm not overly concerned with the price because my camper is in excellent condition plus have you payed attention to the cost of a comparable new one? Well north of $25,000.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Insurance company agreed to replace my roof but the local dealer's roof guy is out of town until 2/28 so I'll know more after that. I'll price the canvas thru him also. It's the insulated version that they are quoting for.

kerry

Expedition Leader
$1200 for canvas and $250 to install if done at the same time they are replacing the roof. Roof cost was $2695 for roof. $650 to install and $1100 in crating and shipping.

unkamonkey

Explorer
$1200 for canvas and $250 to install if done at the same time they are replacing the roof. Roof cost was $2695 for roof. $650 to install and $1100 in crating and shipping.
Ouch.
I should replace some of the canvas on my motor home but it isn't going to happen unless I win the Lottery at those prices.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My canvas is starting to crack in the corners. I'm buying time with a clear sail repair product from West Marine. My Northstar's 17 yrs old now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior