ImNoSaint's 2.5 Thread

Imnosaint

Adventurer
The Last Rack. Promise.

cropped-img_2128.jpg

While this thread has its share of rack builds, I finally caved in on what I’ve wanted all along but couldn’t quite swing up until now, an ARB gutter-mounted roof rack (ARB 3800040 Steel Roof Rack Basket). This was no small feat, not so much in acquisition – there was a time when ARB shipped directly from the Land Downunder – but in figuring out which model best suited the roofline of a Mk2 Montero since there’s little info on ARB’s site dealing with the brand (surprise) and not much support elsewhere.

I went with the rack made for the Range Rover (87X49) after measuring the Nomad’s rooftop real estate. You won’t find a better rack for the money ($794US), though it may seem less of a bargain once you factor in the gutter mount kit, which you won’t find on the ARB website, you’ll have to search around – I found one on 4Wheel Parts for $323US (ARB Roof Rack Mounting Kit – 3700050). ARB’s site is easy to interpret that the rack comes with the mounts.

It doesn’t. It does come with the gutter runners, both sides. Go figure.

img_2127-1.jpg

The rack arrived in a heavily damaged box with scratches and divots in the steel, but I didn’t have the patience to box it all up and ship it back. Once the mounting hardware arrived I removed my DIY rack and pre-built the ARB on a jig I created that matched the footprint of the old one. With all the feet mounted but still loose for adjustment, it took four of us to lift it into position on top of the Nomad, weighing in at 132 pounds. Once in place I used wood shims all around to prop it into place and bolt down the feet into the gutters. It’s a bit of a trick to do since the roofline arcs at the passenger door line, requiring more space fore and aft than in the middle. But it fit. Phew. I rolled the dice on this one. With everything in place with height and width dialed in, I torqued down the hardware.

One of the reasons I wanted the ARB rack was its quick-release system for awnings. Both ARB awnings were permanently mounted on the previous rack and I wanted a way to easily remove the awnings when they weren’t being used – keep them better protected rather than have them in the elements when they weren’t being used.

img_2136.jpg

The quick-release rack mounts are clamp plates that bolt on vertically. They can be placed anywhere along the rack rails. The outer plate is cut with a keyhole where the stud mounted on the awning fits in and slides into place.

img_2134.jpg

Once the awning is in place, the nut on the stud is tightened to secure it from coming loose. Not sure I’d call it quick-release, but it’s a helluva lot faster than the old DIY method I rigged up on the previous rack.

img_2125-2.jpg

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Glad to see someone else happy with alpicool. Ive had the aplicool C15 from amazon a year now. Mine has the cheaper plastic body with basic temp and button display, but functionally it has done very well on three long weekend trips out. Its slides under the rear platform for camping and into the garage for DD duties. Models and stock available is definitely weird on amazon. I saw a another alpicool stainless body version for sale on amazon recently.
I've put this through six months of operation and it's worked as designed through high interior temps and rough crawling. I'd like to see the stainless version.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Gooseneck Work Light Installation

fullsizeoutput_12c4.jpeg

The installation of the new ARB roof rack meant the deletion of the two work lights that were on the rear stanchions of the previous rack.

DriverRear3quarter

1ded9-img_0471 16f54-img_0468

6a7a4-img_0474

This created some logistic challenges in bringing light to the cooking work space of the pull out. I considered mounting a fixture above the window of the rear door that would shine down in that area, but pulling a circuit to that area through the stock wiring harness tube in the jamb would have required removing the right hand platform panel along with the house battery. I didn’t want to do that.

I wanted this work light to be powerful and durable and yet out of the way of loading gear and dogs along with not obstructing rearward vision. I sourced a fixture, the Acegoo RV/Boat Gooseneck Wall Light, (yes, Acegoo) which I adapted to fit on the right hand D-pillar and crane over the pull-out stove and sink.

fullsizeoutput_12c2.jpeg

I removed the wiring from the previous fixtures and created a new circuit that ran from the switch on the lefthand panel of the platform up the righthand D-pillar.

fullsizeoutput_12c0 fullsizeoutput_12bc

The fixture mounts with a machined ring attached with two sheet-metal screws through the plastic into the steel of the pillar. The round base of the fixture fits over the ring and secured with an allen screw that attaches the base to the mounting ring (seen below the USB port).

fullsizeoutput_12bf.jpeg

With the ring installed but before mounting the fixture, I fed the wiring through a hole in the plastic and fished it through to the outside of the jamb and connected them to the new circuit which follow the weatherstripping channel.

fullsizeoutput_12c3.jpeg

The result is a clean, out-of-the-way installation of a work light that’s adaptable for use over the kitchen area or as a reading light when relaxing on the sleeping platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke