Yeti Lawsuit

The Artisan

Adventurer
You don't have to justify having a Yeti product anymore than anyone else has to justify owning RTIC product.
No justification just saying I would have bought the Ozark before a yeti. If you look at my previous post, I own both and they are pretty much the same quality and last the same.

I have to disagree. I have both the ozark trail and the yeti. I take my Ozark when we go to resorts in Mexico as they are cheaper if lost or damaged. They perform the same. The yeti has a better sealing lid is all.
Kevin

perterra

Adventurer
Who cares? Well, kidding sort of. My research took me to an actual fridge/freezer. Why spend near $400 for an ice chest when you can get a portable fridge for the same $$$? And sometimes less:

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/23350-Cheap-Fridge-lt-400-shipped

After getting my edgestar, I will NEVER, EVER go back to ice.

It's a horses for courses kind of thing. After a 100º day of dove hunting or frying fish over a hot fryer after broiling in the sun all day on the water, reaching in a humming cooler will never equal shoving your hand down in a chest full of salted ice and pulling out a beer thats at 31º and hurts your mouth it's so cold, then having the cold salted water mingle with the taste of beer. 12 volts, nah, no thanks. I'll take ice any day for that, but 12 volt coolers have their place.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I was wondering about the lawsuit until I checked and #yetibutts is still on twitter. *sigh of relief*

Kevin108

Explorer
When faced with competition, respectable companies choose to innovate, market themselves better, and offer features or service the competitors don't. Others turn to the legal system. :rolleyes:

OCD Overland

Explorer
Sounds like it's a trade dress lawsuit. That's not about innovation - it's about someone purposely making their product look exactly like yours. Given the terms of the settlement, RTIC knew they didn't have a chance in court.

Roger M.

Adventurer
When faced with competition, respectable companies choose to innovate, market themselves better, and offer features or service the competitors don't. Others turn to the legal system. :rolleyes:

When bringing a product to market, respectable companies choose to innovate, market themselves better, and offer features or service the competitors don't. Others turn to ripping off the successful designs of existing manufacturers :rolleyes:

(I fixed that for you).

bigskypylot

Explorer
When bringing a product to market, respectable companies choose to innovate, market themselves better, and offer features or service the competitors don't. Others turn to ripping off the successful designs of existing manufacturers :rolleyes:

(I fixed that for you).

Ha :D

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Read up on "just noticeable difference" if you really want to know the legal guidelines regarding copying a product and how patents work.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Sounds like it's a trade dress lawsuit. That's not about innovation - it's about someone purposely making their product look exactly like yours. Given the terms of the settlement, RTIC knew they didn't have a chance in court.

Ah. I was wondering what it was about because I can't quite wrap my head around what you could patent about a dual layer plastic box with a foam core.

I have a serious question. What exactly is so innovative about a Yeti, or any similarly designed cooler, that warrants that monster price tag? I'm not questioning if it works, because based on the number of people willing to purchase/defend the product I assume it does, but what is the innovation here? As best I can tell, without doing a lick of investigation, is it's just a much thicker cooler that's at least somewhat more durable than the average Coleman. Is the core some space age "designed-by-NASA-for-the-space-shuttle" insulation that costs mega dollars per pound? Is the shell some likewise exotic material?

What, besides being thicker and possibly tougher, than the average cooler makes these things worth the price tag? Serious question.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Read up on "just noticeable difference" if you really want to know the legal guidelines regarding copying a product and how patents work.

Patents can be a complete joke, based completely on voodoo technology, requiring only that you convince the reviewer at the patent office that you know what you're talking about.

Kevin108

Explorer

(I fixed that for you).

Normally, I would agree with you, but this lawsuit is over a cup. The only way this would have any standing would be if the infringing company was calling itself YETl (lower case L). As it stands. it's absolutely frivolous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94