Yeti Lawsuit

OCD Overland

Explorer
Normally, I would agree with you, but this lawsuit is over a cup.
Apparently the RTIC guys thought it was important enough that they created a worthless shell company around it to try to protect themselves from suit. It sounds to me like they knew exactly what they were doing from the get go.

It's fine to like their product, or feel good about having saved a few bucks if you bought one; but really, the owners and the company itself don't seem like they're worth any effort to defend.

perterra

Adventurer
Apparently the RTIC guys thought it was important enough that they created a worthless shell company around it to try to protect themselves from suit. It sounds to me like they knew exactly what they were doing from the get go.

It's fine to like their product, or feel good about having saved a few bucks if you bought one; but really, the owners and the company itself don't seem like they're worth any effort to defend.

I would agree with this, chances are they didnt do any design work, or pay for the mold, or for that part do anything but market a Chinese cooler they stumbled in to. Probably nothing would have ever happened had they kept low key and not advertised as better than a Yeti and went after Yeti.

I own a Canyon Cooler, a Yeti and an RTIC. Aint a nickles worth of difference in any of them.

Kevin108

Explorer
More like that's what's necessary for competitors to do to protect themselves in this litigious business environment.

tgreening

Expedition Leader

Well in and of itself this is just smart business. I had a worthless shell company around something myself, mainly to protect ME. It's one thing to have business, have it fail, and lose whatever is connected to it, but if you let yourself and all your personal holdings go down with it you are just being stupid.

If they really wanted to be smart, or pricks depending on your viewpoint, they could have created their shelll company in China and use that to market their Chinese product. China would laugh their arses off at Yetis lawsuit. They've only started to crack down on knockoff products because they've started to rip off each other instead of just ripping off foreign companies.

Last edited:

teddyearp

Adventurer
It's a horses for courses kind of thing. After a 100º day of dove hunting or frying fish over a hot fryer after broiling in the sun all day on the water, reaching in a humming cooler will never equal shoving your hand down in a chest full of salted ice and pulling out a beer thats at 31º and hurts your mouth it's so cold, then having the cold salted water mingle with the taste of beer. 12 volts, nah, no thanks. I'll take ice any day for that, but 12 volt coolers have their place.

I am not talking about a 12 volt 'cooler', but an actual fridge. I used mine on a trip with 100 deg days and reached in a pulled out a beer that was frozen. In fact, for the first three days, the frozen meat I had put in there at the beginning didn't hardly thaw at all. Had to set the thermo up a little so I wouldn't have to wait for the thaw. And like you said, horses for courses. You may like salt water mixed with your beer, I do not find that appealing.

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
I am not talking about a 12 volt 'cooler', but an actual fridge. I used mine on a trip with 100 deg days and reached in a pulled out a beer that was frozen. In fact, for the first three days, the frozen meat I had put in there at the beginning didn't hardly thaw at all. Had to set the thermo up a little so I wouldn't have to wait for the thaw. And like you said, horses for courses. You may like salt water mixed with your beer, I do not find that appealing.

I knew what you were talking about, I still prefer my beer in ice.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Awesome news, I hate products infected with knockoffedness. You go after smaller outfits first, then you go after the bigger fish.

AFSOC

Explorer
I'm surprised this thread taken this general direction. I avoided clicking on this thread all week because I assumed it would take a decidedly "pro Yeti" tone. In the past ,ExPo threads like this were prone to being staunchly on the side of the luxury label...no matter the product. Value wasn't given much credence, it was all about pinnacle performance. If you were foolhardy enough to advocate a product based on value you were quickly scorned by all the "buy once cry once" and "my life depends on the performance of my kit" crowd. Am I to assume the Overland arms race has subsided? Are we moving to a point where the concentration of this hobby has transitioned from the collections to the experiences?

Full disclosure: I own and am satisfied with an Ozark Trail 73 high performance cooler and OT 20oz and 30oz Tumblers.

Last edited:

b9ev

Adventurer
In my opinion RTIC flagrantly copied YETI. It wouldn't have been hard for them to make enough changes and possibly improvements and sell them for the same price. As far as coolers go I prefer Pelican so I own two of them.

perterra

Adventurer
In my opinion RTIC flagrantly copied YETI. It wouldn't have been hard for them to make enough changes and possibly improvements and sell them for the same price. As far as coolers go I prefer Pelican so I own two of them.

I doubt RTIC copied anyone, likely they marketed a cooler that someone in China copied. You can find them all day on alibaba for $40 a piece

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I doubt RTIC copied anyone, likely they marketed a cooler that someone in China copied. You can find them all day on alibaba for $40 a piece

You can find a copy of dang near anything in China. King Burger, OFC chicken (that one is funny. Look them up), Sunbucks Coffee and Bucksstar Coffee, Mike' sneakers and on and on. Seems like the only brand they haven't ripped off but actually did right is Hooters. I mean, what would they call it, Boobies?

You know why China is the most populous country in the world?..........Because their condoms are Made in China. Yuck yuck.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
You can find a copy of dang near anything in China. King Burger, OFC chicken (that one is funny. Look them up), Sunbucks Coffee and Bucksstar Coffee, Mike' sneakers and on and on. Seems like the only brand they haven't ripped off but actually did right is Hooters. I mean, what would they call it, Boobies?

You know why China is the most populous country in the world?..........Because their condoms are Made in China. Yuck yuck.

The lifan group's "Hongda" has to be my all time favorite. One of the original and possibly most blatant middle fingers to copyright infringement lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz