New to group. Just got my two ex firetruck extended cab U1300l's

Cedarsurf

Just thought I'd say hi to the group and introduce my two newest toys. I've been on the itch to try my hand at importing a Mog for some time. Right after I found one and pulled the trigger I found a second I liked more and bought it as well! They finally cleared customs and arrived at my house this week! Not sure if I should call then DOKAs or extended cabs. I haven't seen many with this cab.

Mog 1: 1987 U1300L DOKA with a 352a turbo engine and 45k Kilometers. Engine and drivetrain are in impeccable condition. Also has a 4cylinder water pump on the rear that works well! The only issue is some rot on the front fenders, a dent to the front bumper, and a broken battery box. The rest of the truck is very rust free.

Mog 2: 1989 U1300L DOKA with a NA 352 and only 23k Kilometers. Nicer interior and paint condition.... just no turbo :/ Does have a dent to front bumper as well. Apparently firefighters in France couldn't see very well in the front right.

I'm in the process of getting documents translated so I can register in MA. Fingers crossed!

Not sure what I want to do with them yet. I'll probably convert one into a camper and keep the one with the engine on the back as a fire truck. Who knows..... I may just sell one and use the funds for the others camper project. These things were costly to get here!

IMG_1134.jpgIMG_1120.jpg

Wyuna

Observer
Welcome, two Unimogs, very jealous....

Those models are still all just mechanical injection aren't they?

If so, can't you just remove the turbo assembly of the 87 model and bolt it on the 89 model and retune it.

Then sell the 87 model, people love Doka's allows you to take the kids or friends and it frees up cash, as building a camper always cost more than you think it will.

As for the interior, most people strip it, dynamat and reline it with your own personal touch.

As for paint, is almost 30 years old, it could do with a new topcoat, as red fades a lot over time.

Cedarsurf

Yes they are mechanical. I live that you have to push a kill button on the floor to shut it down. If the world goes to crap it will still run.

Great idea on the Turbo swap. Only problem I foresee is making sure the 89 has the oil injection to support having a turbo.

Need to find a decent mechanic also. It should be a very easy swap. I just have the time. It's cold as heck outside and I've got my firstborn a week away!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Congrats! Dude, you got your work cut out for the next little while :) New UnimogS and a baby on the way! Ours turned 1 last week and OMG how fun! But forget about sleep the next 6 months...

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Very nice. I would be interested in hearing about the importation process....the who, what, where, and whens. Costs, etc?

Wyuna

Observer
A baby and two projects? Definitely sell one; not the baby.

If he sells the baby, he could afford another Unimog:sombrero:

Enjoy the new additions and the little terror that will change you life, for the better off course.

Sitec

Adventurer
Very nice! I'd be keeping both until you've built one up to be reliably usable! If you were nearer to me I'd be very interested in the fire pump!!!! 41 deg here today! Enjoy the new toys! :)

Cedarsurf

Thanks for all the well wishes!

So after a few days of research and contemplating the baby and two Mogs I'm definitely gonna sell one. I'm gonna sell the 87 with the om352a Turbo and do a custom set up on my 89. I'm confident after research that my block is set up for oil squirters.

If anybody knows somebody looking it should be titled and registered within the month.

As for the import process send me an email and I'll give you the details. Lots and lots of legwork.

Cedarsurf

Had an issue with one of the new Mogs bogging down and sputtering. Pulled the fuel filters and they were disgusting!! New filters and a clean out of the bowl and it seams to be much better now. How many more little surprises will I find? Over the next two weeks will be all of the portals, transmission, and oil.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You might want to drain the fuel tank also - Diesel can and does go bad in vehicles that sit... you can always drain it into 5 gallon paint buckets and see what it looks like and then perhaps filter it and reuse it mixed with fresh diesel.

Cedarsurf

Ordered new fluids for hubs, axles, and transmissions.

Only got to the newer trucks hubs so far. Oil was a bit grey. Don't know if that's normal and not sure if it was ever changed with only 25k. Glad I did it.

Cedarsurf

Registrations are complete!!!! Excited to finally drive my toys legally and further than my driveway!

Used a local guy that does registration services. Took one day! Well worth the $50 a truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles