New to group. Just got my two ex firetruck extended cab U1300l's

Roverchef

Adventurer
Super excited to see what you do with the one you keep. I've now imported 12 of these over yrs and the 1st few were a pain...not with customs but with the local/state folks. Put a couple of qts of ATF in the tanks with the fuel and run them to help displace any funk and H2O and then change the filters. It also helps with the lack of lubrication in pump gas(diesel). Have fun!

Tennmogger

Explorer
Yes they are mechanical. I live that you have to push a kill button on the floor to shut it down. If the world goes to crap it will still run.

Great idea on the Turbo swap. Only problem I foresee is making sure the 89 has the oil injection to support having a turbo.

Need to find a decent mechanic also. It should be a very easy swap. I just have the time. It's cold as heck outside and I've got my firstborn a week away!

Cedarsurf, you probably already figured this out but the "kill button" on the floor is the air actuated exhaust brake. The manual does mention using the exhaust brake to stop the engine at idle but consider this: You can kill the engine manually by reducing the manual throttle lever to zero fuel. Then leave the lever at zero.

If you leave the throttle lever at anything above zero fuel then the engine will bump start, key on or off. Say you shut the engine off with exhaust brake, leave the truck, and someone (or gravity) causes the truck to move, spinning the engine, the engine will start right up and run. Of course always dump brake air too.

The rust on the fenders is common. The fenders are two pieces welded together with an overlap. That overlap always rusts out. It's best to cut out the rust and weld in a single layer, replacing the double layer. No more rust.

Another rust trap is in the engine compartment on the inside of the fenders. Typically there is some rust proofing material applied to the inner fenders. That material tends to shrink slightly and pull loose along the top, creating a cavity where water and salt can accumulate. The first you know of it will be a penetration to the outside.

Bob

Last edited:

Cedarsurf

Good to know on the fenders. That one is up for sale and I'll pass it on to the new owner. My new gremlin is chasing down an air leak in the fuel system. Changed the primer pump but still having issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles