portal axels on isuzu

sloth142

Observer
gday all, I'm just wondering if any one has looked into installing unimog diffs on a isuzu? i have a "89" FTS 700 and had a brain fart of installing mog diffs and converting to coils, would be a big job, but wondering if it would be worth all the piss farting around.

Amesz00

Adventurer
It would certainly be possible, but my honest opinion, considering you're in the same size/weight and age category as an ex army 1700L38, I think you'd probly be better served just buying a mog if that's what you were wanting from it..

sloth142

Observer
getting a dual cab mog is hard, and getting a ex army one modified to a dual cab is in the range of 100+ grand, i would change the whole axel and modding it to coils would make offroading a lot more comfortable and possibly easier as you should be able to keep the wheels on the ground a lot more then with leafs, like i said it was a brain fart and was interested to see if anyone has dug a bit deeper into it or have had a crack at it.

Coachgeo

Explorer
MOG 9's..... or MOG 60's...... or put Mog outers on your existing axle if there is enough ratios available to compensate for the gear reduction in the Mog hub.

sloth142

Observer
by outers you mean the drop down part right? if that possible would be a lot easier. whats the difference between mog 9's and 60's?

Amesz00

Adventurer
Another thing to consider with it is (don't worry I've had the same thoughts before of putting 416 axles under the canter...), the truck will be 4" higher without changing anything else... You can lower the suspension some to accommodate, but then you're gonna be getting real close to either the chassis or the sump or both, and probably don't want any less than 2.5-3" of compression travel otherwise it'll ride like crap..
Mogs have curved chassis to account for the height of the axles + susp travel.

Sure portals are cool and nice to have, but I've never seen anywhere where big tyres haven't provided enough clearance. The lockers are a must on a truck though (imho)- you don't have the option of using momentum to bounce over stuff..
Reduction hubs (portal or planetary) are nice sometimes- especially with big tyres. But do use slightly more fuel than a direct drive.
Maybe see if you can find some MAN or merc planetaries?

sloth142

Observer
cheers, i guess if anything was ever to happen these things would have to be taken into account, its already as high as a mog as it sits now so raising it any more would start to be an issue, the thing i like i guess is not having the diff pumpkin so low to the ground and coils.ive always wanted to do the same to me 80 series which marks adaptors do but not engineered for the 80 yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94