ARB 50Q Lid in hatch style vehicles

AxleIke

Adventurer
I'm sorry if this has been covered. I searched but couldn't find a specific thread about ARB fridge lids.

It may be because there isn't anything you can do about it.

My issue stems from my 99 4Runner and 50Q ARB fridge (new style). I built a slide for it, and that is fine. However, I cannot open the lid due to the 4runner's rear hatch. I can open it enough to get in and out, but when trying to remove say, a tupperware full of veggies from the bottom and needing to carefully lift other things from the top (such as a carton of milk) its very annoying not to be able to open the lid fully so it stays open on its own.

I've looked at drop slides, and this is an option, but either a very expensive (600ish for a slide on an 800 dollar fridge is starting to get pretty steep), or a pretty complicated build. I've got a ton of fab tools, so fabricating it isn't the issue. The issue is the time and the engineering to do it correctly without it weighing a ton.

I figured before spending the cash, or the time/effort to do a full on drop slide, I'd see if anyone here had a clever solution to this issue. As an example, some of my friends with 80 series have Engel fridges and they simply re-located the hinges to the side of the fridge lid, rather than the back. This allowed for the lift height of the fridge to be the short side , rather than the long side, which works fantastically. Not as easy on the newer ARB's.

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 96197

I've been thinking about one of these for my 1998 4runner

Is there are reason you don't just pop the lid off like they demonstrate on the webpage (Second video around 1:25 http://store.arbusa.com/Fridges-C11.aspx), I'm literally asking as I don't own one yet, so I'm not sure it's a reasonable answer.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I'm going with a drop slide, like you said they are expensive. $600 shipped from Australia and it weighs about 90lbs!

tarditi

Explorer
Popping the lid off requires a partial opening of the lid, and it's really more of a trick, as it requires a bit of technique to do so.

Frankly, there are some SUVs I wouldn't even consider because of the rake of the roof and rear slope of the back hatch dramatically reducing the rear cargo cubic area.

I know this probably isn't an option you want to entertain, but what about a smaller fridge?

SnoViking

Adventurer
Any chance you could build a "slide for your slide"? This way you could get maybe 1.5-2X extension to clear the hatch. Maybe do a full sliding shelf. It would probably be cheaper than a drop slide and be more functional.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I tried to tape some magnets to the top of mine and attach a bit of steel to my rear glass to hold the lid up... It didn't go well. The little 12 pack of neodymium magnets I got from OSH just weren't strong enough. a speaker magnet might do it. In the end, I ended up using a small bungee cord hooked to one of the gas struts and the side of the lid. It stays open pretty well, although I end up pulling the lid off frequently for convenience. Once you pull the lid a half dozen times it becomes second nature. It would be simpler and cheaper to fab a place to hang the lid than to make a fancy new hinge.

There is a thread about JK rear storage on here somewhere that shows a tiny gas strut holding the lid open on an ARB 50, but I didn't want to go that way as I find the removable feature of the lid to be convenient.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I like the idea of a gas strut or bungee.

I pull the lid. Problem is, when camping, there are often several people who access the fridge. Its easy enough to pop it once you've done it a few times, but its not easy to explain, so you end up having to come over and help them every time someone wants access.

I'm the opposite with packing and unpacking. I don't like to have the lid off during packing and unpacking as this often takes 5-10 minutes. I always pre-cool the fridge on 110V, and having the lid off for that amount of time defeats the purpose of doing that.

I may just do the gas strut with a quick disconnect, so the lid can still be easily removed. Very good idea, thanks!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
My next idea is to use a suction-cup or command strip style hook on the glass and sew a small loop of para cord to the top of the transit cover.

rayra

Expedition Leader
How about just changing the mounting to something quick and easy like a jeep hood toggle latch or somethign similar and when you want full access to the fridge contents just take the thing out and put it on the ground. Instead of nonsense like paying $600 to ship a drop slide half way around the planet?

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
How about just changing the mounting to something quick and easy like a jeep hood toggle latch or somethign similar and when you want full access to the fridge contents just take the thing out and put it on the ground. Instead of nonsense like paying $600 to ship a drop slide half way around the planet?

Alucab has a dealer in ABQ, so shipping to CO wouldn't be bad IMO.

Additionally, unloading and loading the fridge every time one needs access to the contents would get old really fast (these things are not light) - at least it would for me, but to each their own.
---
EDIT: Tav LLC: http://www.tavllc.com/products

JCDriller

Adventurer

Drop slides are not for everyone, but it's certainly not nonsense. Ordering from half way around the planet was as easy as ordering on Amazon, it arrived in a week and took advantage of the strong dollar vs. Aus. Plus unlike your jeep hood toggles it's a crash tested solution and my wife can easily access the contents for the fridge without me breaking my back to load and unload it each time she wants something.

The tilt slide is a good option, the main downfall I see to both solutions is the added width beyond the footprint of the fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke