Mitz Fuso FG Insurance- California Recommendations

safariman

Observer
I have a 2001 FG 4x4 thats been converted . Its has been registered as an RV with California DMV

I tried Progress , state fund and geiko with no luck . they said smaller insurance companys would be best to look.

Before i exhausted a full day trolling through the internet im asking you fine people for any recommendations.

Thanks in advance

dlh62c

Explorer
What's the reason their giving you?

Is it the truck's commercial rating or that you did the build out yourself?

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
What kind of insurance are you looking for?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
In would be interested as well as state farm wont cover my pod as a camper but will consider is a box that is attached to my 07 fuso, just like it was a 07 box truck as far as value goes.
Kevin

dlh62c

Explorer
Foremost Insurance Company (800-237-2060) has insured my Mitsubishi FM260 camper for the past 8 years.

Foremost would be the place to start. Pictures and documented cost of big ticket items will help assign a value to the build. Any receipts for professionally done work, like mounting the body to the truck will work in your favor.

Not sure how California does it, in Missouri, an RV certification requires a vehicle title change and a new VIN assigned. The paperwork is handled though the DMV office. But the RV certification process and the application of a new VIN plate is handled though Missouri's State Highway Patrol Inspection Station by appointment. It isn't as simple as a change in registration documentation. The vehicle's new VIN number will identity the vehicle as an RV when an insurance company runs it.

Let us know how its works out. Getting insurance for these trucks is not impossible, just problematic. It starts with a denial because the truck's GVWR makes it commercial. Then your response is that your doing an RV conversion, which leads to more denials. Try insuring it for what it is, a commercial truck for non-commercial personal use. Read the fine print on commercial truck polices, often there's a radius limit placed on the truck, I've seen it as low as 25 miles from the address on the policy.

One more thing, make sure everyone is using the correct VIN number, if its off by a single letter or number, it could push the GVWR up.

The Tiny House movement has had its share of insurance issues as well.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
When I was in California I had my Fuso FG registered as an RV and both Progressive and State Farm had zero issues insuring it. Both were around $100-$125 per year (3 years ago). It was liability only, so perhaps that is the difference?
Now in Oregon and Allstate is happy to take my money (full coverage up here)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
When I was in California I had my Fuso FG registered as an RV and both Progressive and State Farm had zero issues insuring it. Both were around $100-$125 per year (3 years ago). It was liability only, so perhaps that is the difference?
Now in Oregon and Allstate is happy to take my money (full coverage up here)

Liability is a lot easier to find. The issue with insuring custom vehicles for comp/collision is the actuaries don't have any real way to assess risk/potential costs. You usually end up having to have a professional appraisal done (if you can find someone willing to write it).

GR8ADV

Explorer
I didn't take no when State Farm said so. Sent them pictures of the inside with kitchen, bed, dining , fridge and bathroom. I also sent them links to Earthcruiser and GXV for examples of vehicle values. I am now insured as an RV.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Different state but I just had to drive over to the State Farm agency and they took pictures of my FG. OK, that was 19 years ago. I have never had a problem with them and again, I have never had a claim.
Last spring I went into pay the insurance $ and the young agent didn't know what a Mitsu Fuso is so I directed him to this forum to see a picture of it. He stared at the picture for about a minute.
"Cool"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior