On Road Amber Lights

Hello all,

Its getting very foggy and rainy so I'd like to get some amber lights that can be used on road. I'm thinking 2 in the front and one small one in the back. I go to the snow a lot too.

Can anyone recommend something for me?

Thanks.

PhulesAU

Explorer
A good Amber light in fog or snow will be Superior to plain white, because of the difference in the reflection. Mind you that the Pattern that's projected will be the thing that makes it useful. What I have is a very thin flat beam, that hits the ground about 50' to the front and spreads to fill in 2 lanes.

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
I'm not sure that forward facing Amber lights are legal. Check with the guys on Candlepowerforum, they'll set you straight.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
I too have been thinking of this, both for my visibility, and making me more visible to others. Looking forward to the responses, when I hit The Google with "real fog lights" one of the first articles I read said there really was no such thing.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

M35A2

Tinkerer
Doing some research I found this video,
https://youtu.be/GnMNR9sbXFs

My only question is if they will blind oncoming drivers.

As for the rear I'm still looking.

I use two amber in the front and one red in the rear. I don't think anyone behind you will want to come up on a bright amber light and quite frankly that could confuse the poor soul behind you into thinking that someone was coming at him.

I make sure the one in the rear is not aimed to blind the driver behind. It just needs to be seen, it does not have to be aimed as if you are using it to drive by.

In the front I have the fog pattern someone already mentioned and they are set to skim the road in front.

lugueto

Adventurer
I use Rigid dually's with amber covers. That makes them more versatile and the fact that the covers reduce output significantly makes them better for on road use. I don't think you'd have trouble if you aim them properly with these covers.

hamr26

Observer
I had KC Slimltes in the stock bumper location on my wrangler. Last fall I tinted them to mimic selective yellow using krylon metalcast (search "metalcast" to get pages of threads). I loved the difference, but 1 winter of salt spray and my daily 5 mile freeway drive blasted the coating off as if it never was there.
I replaced those lights with Baja Designs Squadron Sports with the amber wide cornering lenses. the performance of those little LED lights is surprising. I have not had conditions to need them on since the install and want to experiment in the driveway what they look like to oncoming cars; my fear is that they are too bright even though they are a flat pattern. I think for trail rides and no-traffic two lane roads they will be amazing.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Just get a set of Rigid SAE/DOT fog lights. I've replaced the factory fog lights on my truck with a set (hooked directly up the factory fog system) and the cut off point is nice and flat. I drove around with them on for a few weeks to test them out and no issues with traffic. You can easily get a set of amber covers or throw some tint on them and call it a day.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I run white for headlights and driving lights, selective yellow for fogs (IPF 840s). The yellow fogs are nice in really heavy snow or fog. In pretty much any other weather, I leave them off. You get just as much reflection as white (IMO), but the yellow reflection is a bit easier on the eyes. So when things get really bad, drop the low beams, go for parking lights + fogs. It's about as good as it'll get for low glare and not making your pupils constrict, giving you the best shot at seeing decently.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Well not really concerning fog lights, since I am BIG and SLOW (my truck is too) I have amber whoopee lights on the front and back. The front (mounted on the cab) is hardwired into the system but the rear is battery operated and has a magnetic base. That way I can pull it off and switch it over to the trailer (sitting on top of the bumper in pic) if I'm towing it to add more visibility.

IMG_4554 (1).jpgIMG_4553.jpgHood pickup.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior