Battery operated impact driver vs. pneumatic

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That's pretty much the gist of it.

So who wants to do the math...

As in, how much run time would you have with a 7 gallon tank, 1CFM compressor, and 5CFM @ 90PSI gun?

Remember, that gun will be near useless below 90PSI, so really all you have to go on is the compressed volume of air in that tank provided from 120PSI or so to 90PSI.

So, whos going to do the math? :snorkel:

By the time you air up a compressor, roll out a hose, garb an impact, and wait for it to charge up...

You'd be done with an electric.

Air has its place, but with today's electric impacts, 12V air has little benefit with regards to tool usage.

jschmidt

Adventurer
I've used air tools all my life and battery tools for a decade. I even keep a half inch 18v impact in my UTV.

To effectively use volume air tools like impacts and ratchets, you'll need 3.5cfm and at least a 30 gallon tank.

To do the same work with battery tools you'll need a spare battery. No comparison. And BTW, all (I believe) of the major brands now offer 12v powered chargers. I'm thinking about hard wiring one into both my Xterra and Teryx4.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Even the brands that might not, its easy enough to run an inverter.

Plus, lithium batteries are perfect for long term storage due to low discharge.

Once charged, they are ready. Not to mention how light they are.

In my own shop I've pretty well benched my air impact and air ratchets in favor of cordless impacts.
So much faster and easier than worrying about a hose and air pressure all the time.

About the only things that air is used for anymore is sanders, nail guns, and the air nozzle for cleaning/dusting.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I'll agree that if you're only going to need it for something very quick, the air setup will probably take too long to pull out, etc. especially if you don't already have a charged air tank. But FWIW, with a 1/2" drive ACDelco impact, I've pulled 5 lugs before the compressor kicked on with only 3.5 gallons of tank. And that was starting at 135 psi, compressor starts at 105.

I'd say think about what kind of usage you'd want the impact for. If it's just for an occasional tire change, air isn't worth it unless you're already carrying most of the stuff you'd need. But if you're expecting to use it for more significant trail repairs, the air impact might beat the electric on practicality (as long as you can keep the compressor powered, you can keep working, no issues with "both batteries are drained, need to wait for one to finish charging").

MOguy

Explorer
I'll agree that if you're only going to need it for something very quick, the air setup will probably take too long to pull out, etc. especially if you don't already have a charged air tank. But FWIW, with a 1/2" drive ACDelco impact, I've pulled 5 lugs before the compressor kicked on with only 3.5 gallons of tank. And that was starting at 135 psi, compressor starts at 105.

I'd say think about what kind of usage you'd want the impact for. If it's just for an occasional tire change, air isn't worth it unless you're already carrying most of the stuff you'd need. But if you're expecting to use it for more significant trail repairs, the air impact might beat the electric on practicality (as long as you can keep the compressor powered, you can keep working, no issues with "both batteries are drained, need to wait for one to finish charging").

Have you ever used a decent battery operated impact wrench?

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
Industrial tech myself.
My 3/4" gun is an IR pneumatic. Mostly because, when I pull that out, I'm in a plant, with unlimited, air. Also has an oiler pigtail.

Otherwise, everything I use, is Milwaukee, 18v, and some 12v. The new Fuel is even better than my current 1/2"(which is up for retirement soon).

Run what you prefer.

But, usually the only thing I carry in my Jeep, is a breaker bar, a few sockets, couple wrenches. Fits in a canvas roll, under the rear seat. Always there.

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles