2013 Ram 3500 with C&M flat bed build for all purpose

wvracer821

Observer
All,
I'm a long time follower of this forum and decided its finally time to put together a build thread for my truck. I snagged this truck from a hot shot company for a killer price even though it needed some work. after an updated tune, a new clutch, a painted door, lots of odds and ends I had the truck listed below.

specs on the truck are
2013 Ram 3500 Laramie, crew cab, long bed, dually
120,000 miles,Cummins,G56,4x4
Hardway tuned, 4in flowpro with flowmaster hushpower, Southbend 3250DDD

I built a removable rack to hold my Tepui tent and eventually act as a modular expo setup with plans to leave all my gear attached to the rack and just drop it on the truck and hit the road. there are 4 trailer jacks on the corners that lift the rack out of the stake pockets and i drive out from under it.

wvracer821

Observer
Then I welded on some 1/4 rings for tie down points. I took a jeep roof rack that i had laying in the junk pile and cut it down to fit the space beside the tent

I planned a spur of the moment weekend camping trip to Big Bend campground in WV (which i highly recomend). I had to finish the rack enough to use it and toss all my gear together in one day. I made a temporary platform for the Edgestar 43qt fridge behind the passenger seat.

and we had a great weekend with the setup.

wvracer821

Observer
I got to enjoy fishing and the girlfriend got to do dance moves on top of spruce knob.

I slapped some 35x12.50-17 Kanati Trail Hogs on the truck and continued to work on it and drive it when i was home from work.

I cant back under my camping rack now because the tires hang out past the bed, I plan on extending the offset on the jacks so it will clear.

then I picked up a tool box and built a tire carrier for a full size spare.

I love the look of no lift and 35s

That pretty much gets me caught up to current times.
Yesterday I ordered Thuren coils,trac bar, sway bar, and fox 2.0 shocks to try to make this thing handle better.
the girlfriend and I are planning a 2 week camping trip in Colorado so i want to make sure this thing sails smooth.
I will be ordering a 1 piece aluminum drive shaft when im on days off to eliminate some negative vibes ive got from my carrier bearing.

wvracer821

Observer
forgot to add pics of the 1st tent rack that I made for my mega cab truck that i owned before this one. I still have the rack if anyone is interested. I assume it will fit all 4th gen shortbed heavy duty rams if anyone is interested.

wvracer821

Observer
Thanks, I'm planning out an isolated power system that I can self jump from if need be and some kind of hot shower all to be mounted and contained on the rack. I'd like to be able to just back the truck under, drop it on the bed and plug in a couple wires then hit the road.

wvracer821

Observer
Didn't get any progress on the truck this past days off other than sitting the rack on the truck and opening the tent to let some fresh air in. Also got the valves adjusted.
b914020159bcf62caa8a7aebd8265adc.jpg
30b1795da643894abe2475dd2c7521cb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MGTexas

I agree that is a pretty nice set up. I have a 2012 truck like that. Would not mind doing something with it.

wvracer821

Observer
The 1st rack does sit on the bed rails and uses a ratchet straps or turn buckles to the tie down loops to keep it in place it fits pretty tight and didn't move around a bunch. I kept it in case I get the wild hair to buy another truck with a real bed. On another note I am looking for some suggestions for a different flat bed. the C&M bed is in rough shape, rubs my tires and has a horrible departure angle. Ive looked into getting the C&M blasted, fixed and bed lined but i can damn near buy a new bed for what all that costs. I appreciate any suggestions that any one has.

PhilipE

Observer
All the skirted and side boxed flatbeds will give you bad departure angles. The only way to get around that would be one of the none skirted beds or have a custom built bed to your spec's.

I have a B&W flat bed. It is skirted and boxed also. I don't think they build beds any more. I can't find them on the website.

wvracer821

Observer
No real update here but I wanted to bump the thread while I'm in Bismark ND waiting on my flight home. I received all the suspension parts from Thuren. I also picked up 3 of the RTIC soft pack coolers on sale which will be great for single night trips or road trips. I plan on getting the suspension goods installed during my 2 weeks off before i have to fly back to ND. Ill be sure to post up pics for everyone. My big summer road trip vacation is closing in faster than I wanted. I took a new job and will not have the time for the build that I thought I did so I'm cutting out the remote battery, solar charging, all the rack wiring and most of the fabrication that I had planned for the rack.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Would be worth while to read through the Trailer forum too. Lot's of great ideas from talented folks that you may want to incorporate for your build.
Really digging what you've done so far. :beer:

wvracer821

Observer
It's been a while since I've checked in. I got the Thuren setup installed and I love it! I ordered a block for the rear to level it back up. It's a little nose high with the weight of the bed and tent rack.
I've got some work to do on the truck before I leave on vacation. Mostly maintenance things like an alignment, Centramatics, Powerstop brakes, fix my stupid parking brake, and change all the oils.
I picked up some soft pack coolers on sale for both home, travel and work.

The biggest update is my new project. 2005 chevy 2500, 6.0 4l80, 87k miles and not a spot of rust! I picked it up for 3k because of some electrical issues. Turns out mice got into the harness below the fuse box and made a pretty big mess. I ended up unpinning the connectors and heat shrinking the wires that got chewed up.
Plans for it are as follows
05+ super duty 60 up front
Yukon zip lockers and 5.13 gears
3 link front/ 4link rear
ORI struts all around
Wheelbase shortened to about 115
Flatbed
Recentered H1 wheels
37-40 tires
Street legal and drivable just not daily
Set up to be a trail rig and double as a camping rig.

I'm really excited about the build, my jeep is a rust bucket and it's nearing the end of its life. I learned a ton on it and I have plenty of good memories with it but it's time for something new. Starting with a vehicle that's already nice should be much easier
4609b2c48cd5dfd6bfcf26c6406b222f.jpg
ae771f9be9220bce6e528197c52f517e.jpg
12121fa0fe2ee6cc409c7f403934704b.jpg
5e0c8914d4ae5d0f4f4e051e023f389d.jpg
69ccdb55b7e42a9fc4eeaa78cd74e4b6.jpg
927af76eb32dab50ec93faae769640e3.jpg
2b695bda984e14df6b18c3b56f2de0a8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member