2012 Ford F-150 FX4

Cal128

Hello everybody, my name is Caleb and I currently live in Colorado. I own a 2012 Ford F-150 FX4 that has a few modifications. I bought this truck stock and have built it to the way that I have wanted it...until now. I've become more and more interested in modifying a vehicle that can actually be used and trusted for long road trips or for off road expeditions. I bought the truck in August of 2015.

Here is what I started:
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG

And here it is currently:
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg

The current modifications include:
- 6 inch Rough Country lift
- 20x12 Fuel Octane wheels
- 295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers (35's)
- Tuner with 5 Star tunes
- 5 round LED off-road lights (not all pictured)
- LED Reverse cubes in rear bumper
- Ranch Hand grille guard (picking up this weekend)

Future modifications include:
- Topper
- Cargo Rack w/ off-road and camping accessories (shovel, hatchet, etc)
- stock FX4 rims or 17" rims with 35's or 37's
- front mounted winch
- rock lights
- some sort of rear storage

When I started building this truck, I was building it for style and just being a nice looking truck that could still be used and worked. This is why it's sitting on 20x12's! But for when I do go on road trips and off-roading, I am planning on switching to stock rims or some cheaper wheels. Probably something like these:

IMG_0612.jpg

I'm going to be honest, I don't know a lot about expedition builds. But they interest me a lot and I want to learn more! Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

wrmmt

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking rig to start out with, always enjoy seeing some of these newer domestic builds! Interested to see what kind of ideas you come up with, hoping to get my Silverado build really going this year and always on the look out for ideas... How do you see yourself using it? Are you planning on camping out of the topper or a roof top tent?

Jsilverado

What is your plan for sleeping? That makes a big difference where you start with the back half of the truck. Luckily since its not a brand new body style, you can probably find a used topper if you want to go that route. New toppers are ridiculously expensive... But if you don't want that look I think a bed rack would look good on your set up. I am guessing you still want it to look nice not just like a camping rig all the time.

Cal128

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking rig to start out with, always enjoy seeing some of these newer domestic builds! Interested to see what kind of ideas you come up with, hoping to get my Silverado build really going this year and always on the look out for ideas... How do you see yourself using it? Are you planning on camping out of the topper or a roof top tent?
What I've been thinking of is finding a cheap used topper that will fit my bed (doesn't have to be black), and using it as a bed/storage unit. In the near future, I don't plan on doing anything extreme, just road trips and camping! But in the future, you never know ;)
What is your plan for sleeping? That makes a big difference where you start with the back half of the truck. Luckily since its not a brand new body style, you can probably find a used topper if you want to go that route. New toppers are ridiculously expensive... But if you don't want that look I think a bed rack would look good on your set up. I am guessing you still want it to look nice not just like a camping rig all the time.
I've always planned on using the bed with a topper as a sleeping system. I do want it to look nice even when it's not being used for camping/road tripping. I've thought about getting a rooftop tent, but wouldn't know where to start :Wow1:

wrmmt

Adventurer
Sounds like kind of the same route I'm taking! I have been sleeping out of the topper in my truck and it has worked great so far. I have a roof rack on top for my awning and some other stuff I have planned for the future and am currently designing a deck system to add some storage and make sleeping out of the back a little easier. I already have some extra fuel/water and tools mounted in the back, you can do a lot with that space if you get creative... I really like the "stealthy camping" aspect of just sleeping out of the topper, and its nice to just pull in to camp and not have to do much to set up. I also considered going the RTT route but just not the direction I want to go right now, also would probably get expensive quick to do the set-up I envision in my head..

Cal128

Sounds like kind of the same route I'm taking! I have been sleeping out of the topper in my truck and it has worked great so far. I have a roof rack on top for my awning and some other stuff I have planned for the future and am currently designing a deck system to add some storage and make sleeping out of the back a little easier. I already have some extra fuel/water and tools mounted in the back, you can do a lot with that space if you get creative... I really like the "stealthy camping" aspect of just sleeping out of the topper, and its nice to just pull in to camp and not have to do much to set up. I also considered going the RTT route but just not the direction I want to go right now, also would probably get expensive quick to do the set-up I envision in my head..
I like the idea of having a topper, and building a makeshift canopy with a large tarp and 4 poles that are tall enough to go over the back of the truck and hang off. I also really like the look of a topper and cargo rack!
What tools do you like to keep on hand for camping or road tripping?

wrmmt

Adventurer
I like the idea of having a topper, and building a makeshift canopy with a large tarp and 4 poles that are tall enough to go over the back of the truck and hang off. I also really like the look of a topper and cargo rack!
What tools do you like to keep on hand for camping or road tripping?

Yeah, its a good combo! And really pretty versatile, you still have decent hauling room when needed. I did the tarp canopy method for awhile with a varied mix of trees and poles. It works fine but can be a pain to set up, especially if its windy. Late last summer I got a small awning I mounted above the tailgate to provide easy shelter for cooking and getting in and out of the sleeping area.

As for tools/gear I keep on hand, currently I have an extra jerry can of fuel (I keep this full pretty much all the time) and one with water (only fill that when I am camping) mounted to the sides of the bed. Also mounted to the sides of the bed is a shovel (spade or grain scoop depending on the season), a fire extinguisher, ax/Pulaski, and a CO2 canister for airing back up or fixing a flat. I also have a tote-box I keep in the back with a tarp, basic ratchet set, and some emergency/recovery tools such as a tow strap, jumper cables, tire plugging kit, and basic flashlight, knife, etc... I honestly don't use the shovel/ax a whole lot, but they're great to have them handy when you do need them. I don't carry as much emergency gear as some people, but I try to keep things simple but useful. I usually stay out of situations where I would really get into trouble, but with a capable rig and smart driving you can get yourself out of a lot worse places than you would think. About the only thing I would like to add to the kit right now are some MaxTrax. Not so much because I have needed them in the past, but I do go out solo a lot and it would give a little extra help if I was out alone in a sticky situation.

p nut

butter
Nice truck. But man, that "grill guard" looks out of place. It'd look much better without it. I'd just take that off. It'll only do more damage if you end up hitting something.

beachbum2020

Observer
Agree with the damage comment based on past experience with a similar looking bumper in size and style by Westin I had on a truck back in the '90's. I like the center mesh section, keep it from eating birds and brush, but I live in a high deer concentration area, enough said lol. Had to go "beefier" with my rigs since lol. Currently running a Road Armor on my F-150 and an ARB on my H3T. Would look equally nice on yours too😁
IMG_2501.jpg

Cal128

Nice truck. But man, that "grill guard" looks out of place. It'd look much better without it. I'd just take that off. It'll only do more damage if you end up hitting something.

Agree with the damage comment based on past experience with a similar looking bumper in size and style by Westin I had on a truck back in the '90's. I like the center mesh section, keep it from eating birds and brush, but I live in a high deer concentration area, enough said lol. Had to go "beefier" with my rigs since lol. Currently running a Road Armor on my F-150 and an ARB on my H3T. Would look equally nice on yours too
View attachment 387618

I honestly agree with both of you! But for right now, it's what's in my budget. Over the summer I have bigger plans for the truck, but for right now I'm keeping it mild due to the fact that I am in school. Over the summer I'll be looking into a replacement bumper that has a spot for a front mounted winch :D till then I guess this is what it will be used for!
IMG_0701.jpg

beachbum2020

Observer
Lol, sweet. Just saw an add for a rear hitch hammock frame attachment. Been there done that my friend. Piece by piece, mod by mod. My F-150s been a slow process. Been through the school budget days years past, now in the "kids/family" budget days lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier