Puerto Rico in March????

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So just in case we can't make our Cuba trip happen next month (passport for son might not arrive in time) we are working on a backup plan that doesn't require passports.

So anyone from Puerto Rico or been there recently?

We are budget travelers who splurge when it is worth it, plenty of hostels, camping and small cheap places with a nice resort as a reward now & then.
We will be a family of 4, me & my Peruvian wife (both fluent in spanish), 2 son's 26 & 18 yrs old.
We love history, have an interest in the Rum side of life but are not party hard people (except the 26 yr old son), and could stay in San Juan or venture out.
We will only have Tues-Fri or might arrange things so 2 of us go longer and 2 meet up mid trip due to work.

Thanks in advance
Lance

35xj

Adventurer
We used to go every year. San Juan Is pretty cool. Both new and old. Old Sanjay is awesome. Molts of great history. The 2 islands off the coast are great. We spent a lot of time on culebra (awesome place. Not much night life). If you end up in culebra, ask around about a boat trip out to the sea turtle preserve. Well worth the money.
The other island, the bigger of the two, has more stuff to do. Last time I was on the island we took a really cool pontoon boat ride into one of the bio bays. At that time it was one of the only ones in the world you could still swim in.(awesome experience!)
All in all, puerto Rico is great. We flew between the islands, but the ferry service is pretty good

Ziv

Observer
I used to live in St. Croix and visited Puerto Rico often. If you are interested in the backcountry, there are many Paradores, small country inns and cabins on the island. These are usually family owned places with several cabins and a common dining area that serves breakfast and dinner which is included in the price. Stayed in several. Never had a bad experience.
Try this link: http://islandsofpuertorico.com/paradores-puerto-rico/

The_Driver

Lived in PR (San Juan), until age 17. Haven't been in 10 years or so. March is a wet and hot month, as it should be the beginning of the summer. Think Miami in June. Temps even in the mountains wont be lower than 66 or so degrees. It could reach mid to high 80's with HIGH humidity, but plenty of sea breeze during and after sunset.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Been visiting PR for 20 years. I think its a very undervalued destination, but not low in cost. Higher than MEX, lower than Costa Rica. Lots to do on main land: both jungle (El Yunque) and beach (Loquillo) but also great travel out on Vieques and Culebra. There are some big fresh water lakes near Upsala that are great to explore, cooler up there too. Old San Juan.....meh.... Do it once and get it over with

Dont forget mofungo.

The_Driver

Been visiting PR for 20 years. I think its a very undervalued destination, but not low in cost. Higher than MEX, lower than Costa Rica. Lots to do on main land: both jungle (El Yunque) and beach (Loquillo) but also great travel out on Vieques and Culebra. There are some big fresh water lakes near Upsala that are great to explore, cooler up there too. Old San Juan.....meh.... Do it once and get it over with

Dont forget mofungo.

Hehe, Luqillo Beach, and mofongo! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles