stuck between a truck and a truck and a truck

cheif carlos

Hi all,
Currently in a hard position, I am looking at replacing my 100 series landcruiser and camper trailer with a light truck with lift off campers am sick of towing.

Looking at either a Canter, Isuzu or an Iveco Daily.
Have had friends trying to steer me away from the Iveco for reliability reasons but am worried about cab overs for the harder ride as both my wife and myself don't have the best back.
Price is not so much an issue as not buying new. Are suspension seats much of an alternative? Do parabolic springs make that much difference?
Was only looking at a 2.4-2.5m lift off module hence originally looking at Iveco.

Cheers
Jason

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Price is not so much an issue as not buying new.
The Iveco 4x4 has not been around all that long in Australia, so picking up a second hand one for a good price might be a bit of a challenge.

Are suspension seats much of an alternative?
They definitely take the sharpness out of the bumps, but a good fixed Recaro will also give you a much better ride than the OEM seats (especially compared to the passenger's bench in the Canter and Isuzu).
Unlike suspension seats in a semi which have quite a bit of travel, you really need to limit the movement to about 2 or 3 inches, or you will feel that you are riding a pogo stick when you go off road.

Do parabolic springs make that much difference?
Absolutely!
Having said that, there are some spring companies out there now that can give you a cheaper alternative to parabolics, but arguably the parabolics are better.
I have coils on my Canter which give quite a nice ride, but that's a whole other story...

Was only looking at a 2.4-2.5m lift off module hence originally looking at Iveco.
I would have thought you could get about 4 metres on the back of an Iveco, but I don't own one, so I am just guessing here...
If you are happy with a smaller module, the short wheelbase Isuzu or Canter would be a very nice option. They both have a brilliant turning circle and do off road really well.

cheif carlos

I would have thought you could get about 4 metres on the back of an Iveco, but I don't own one, so I am just guessing here...
If you are happy with a smaller module, the short wheelbase Isuzu or Canter would be a very nice option. They both have a brilliant turning circle and do off road really well.

Sorry should have said have two daughters so am looking at a double/dual cab, but thanks didn't think of recaro's or the like, feeling a bit stupid have a Stratos in the cruiser and couldn't do without it

Firstly concur with ski freaks comments. Having come from a 100 series myself ( still have it) to a Fuso Canter fg84 4x4 they are really like chalk and cheese. Mine has the super singles, parabolics and standard seats but will be putting in aftermarket seats - just not a stratos - had one in my nps300 and not worth the money. Whole different experience to a 100 series tho and at the end of the day they are a light truck. If you have a bundle of cash go the coil conversion....

fg4oz

Adventurer
We've had Pajero, land cruisers and trailers, but after having the canter now and touring in it we wouldn't change back. In fact we've just bought another fg649 (his and hers!). My single cab is great and set up through ATW at Yandina with parabolics, front diff, air compressor, singles etc. we love going away in this. Last weekend I bought the same model in a dual cab, with custom suspension, seat upgrade ( but not suspension seats) and big fat singles. Both the same truck but the ride is very different. I must admit I like the parabolics and the 19.5 single rims, but the new truck feels very rigid on the road. It's never going to be a cruiser, it is a truck but I like that. My first truck, we custom made the camper and the new truck is a similar lift off concept and it works for our family being able to set up and drive off and use the truck.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
...but am worried about cab overs for the harder ride as both my wife and myself don't have the best back.

I would add that you might want to make sure that climbing in and out of a cabover truck on a regular basis is not going to be a problem for your back(s). A much different 'action' then getting in and out of a LandCruiser.

cheif carlos

I would add that you might want to make sure that climbing in and out of a cabover truck on a regular basis is not going to be a problem for your back(s). A much different 'action' then getting in and out of a LandCruiser.

It's not so much climbing in and out that is the issue it is more so the hard vibration you get from sitting over the front axle.
Cheers Jason

stephenh1235

"Have gun will travel"
20161129_080048 (2017_01_28 01_16_32 UTC).jpg[]I would suggest trying to test drive either of these 3 vehicles in their standard form,and guage whether the ride is acceptable, & if ok you know that suspension/seats upgrades are available that can "improve" the comfort.I am on my third Canter & still own a 100 series. The Canters are a more capable camping vehicle & the 100 series we take to the big city because it fits the smaller parking spaces! Your preference for a 2.4 metre lift of module I take to be the foot print on the tray? - most Toyota/Nissan traybacks do this if you go the way of a slide on & bed over vehicle cab.My Canter has one but fits without overhang over the roof & if you go to the website there are many photo examples of all vehicle types with this style of lift off module.

gait

Explorer
I find the more upright driving position easier on my back. A couple of weeks ago I replaced shock absorbers (they wear out with parabolics). The new Konis have less bump more rebound than the old Monroes. Noticeable. One of those "every little helps" things.

gait

Explorer
2005 FG649 with parabolics (lifted a bit)

Monroes were 16 0342 front, 16 0421 rear. Thoroughly shot when I took them off. Probably around 30,000km.

Konis are 82-2205 front, 82-2297 rear. Someone else provided the numbers. Had to swap lower rubber bushes from Monroes to fit front, and added packing washers for rear bushes (a bit narrower). They apparently fit Toyotas.

Rebound is adjustable. Apparently useful when worn. I fitted out of the box.

I decided against 88s or 92s so didn't check if diameter would fit. Pleasantly surprised the 82s were only a bit above hand hot in 44 deg C ambient temperature and corrugations/track.

I live in Brisbane, I was in Adelaide when I replaced them. I simply phoned Cartorque after searching for Koni. Shipped from stock in Melbourne overnight. Price good relative to local garage.

Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
My 2 cents, I built my old girl up for the very reasons you describe, I'd rather not tow if I can help it, although mine isn't lift off it suits our need for the family of 5, 3 kids 6,4 & 2, but would be very squeezy when they get bigger, see build thread http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/157570-1996-FG-639-dual-cab-tidy-up

They are a truck but as others have said, can be tamed to be a bit more comfy, I used sound deadener in mine and new front springs, better shocks and timbren bump stops.
Gotta say, the biggest single improvement was the super singles, is night and day in difference, but collectively it all makes a difference and my back is not awesome either.
I drive an 80series as my daily, but I love the canter on holidays, nothing beats the instant set-up....
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles