1997 Chevy K3500 Diesel 4x4 Ambo

Pangle

Wanderer
I thought I would share my latest build with everyone.

As the title states, its a 97 Chevy 4x4 Diesel 6.5 with 70k original miles. It has a wheeled coach box with the cab pass through and large side window which is great. I think its pretty rare to have the combo of diesel, with 4x4 and the pass through...

I bought it from a very small town in the middle of no where WV. It has been well maintained and with 70k miles its not even broken in. Everyone seems to hate on the 6.5 and thus far I have no idea why. This motor has been nothing short of reliable and much more powerful that my granted NA 7.3 idi. I have done 3 ambos and 1 Ford Excursion with the 6.0, and this motor is quieter, and seems to be at least as powerful as the 7.3 turbo I had in my quig van, and much more than the IDI.

According to the research I have done the 6.5 is a great motor and is still regular used in the Marine industry, however the factory GM parts seem to be the weak points, such as the lift pump and PMD. I will make some upgrades in the future if need be but right now it runs awesome and very low temps.

I have changed out the failed glow plugs and controller and changed the oil and thats it mechanically. Why fix it if it AINT broke...

Inside I have installed some floating floors with underlayment, sink, fridge, and micro. I have built a fold out bed which is 72'x40" with my custom double layer memory foam mattress.

The cab and face of the box have been painted in light gray Monstaliner, and the box was painted to match. I have really enjoyed working on the one and look forward to getting out on some adventures. If any of you have read my previous posts I usually end up building them, doing a large trip and then selling them on. I have to admit though I am really in love with this one. The pass through cab is awesome and the large side window make it very cozy inside.

IMG_4113.jpg IMG_4182.jpg IMG_4189.jpg IMG_4185.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg IMG_4116.jpg IMG_4117.jpg IMG_4197.jpg
IMG_4198.jpg IMG_4163 copy.jpg

TooSteep

Observer
Newcomer here. Does anyone know if there would be any problem importing this into Canada? I am in Vancouver.

Thanks.

Pangle

Wanderer
Im not sure the rules on going TO canada?? Im sure someone on here would know, and perhaps there is already a post somewhere. Or you could prob check with your local motor vehicle department... I would be curious though

TooSteep

Observer
I brought up a fantastic 2-door '88 Montero in the early 90s - it was a very straightforward process, but I had owned it in the US for a while beforehand. I'll ask at my DMV equivalent if there are any special concerns with a decommissioned ambulance.

gtbensley

Explorer
Looks great Pangle. I think those are good motors if you don't turn up the power and relocate the injector module away from the top of the motor.

Pangle

Wanderer
Yea I would just ask hypothetically for your information to see, but when it comes to actually registering it the title states its a K3500 and thats how I present it to my DMV. Also when insuring it I use Geico and just provide the VIN. I have never had a problem registering or insuring it. HOwever I do not let them know there is any special equipment so Im not sure how that would change things.

This one has a valid WV inspection, and two days ago I got a VA inspection. Its registered in VA and insured through Geico and costs about 40$ a month for liability. Let me know if you have any questions. I have only listed it for sale out in Western States, as I usually like to take a trip in it before selling.

Pangle

Wanderer
Thanks GTbensley! Yea I have been totally impressed with this 6.5. It runs very cool, and will pull up steep grades without a prob. My IDI would drop to 40-45 mph or so on the same hills...

Pangle

Wanderer
Water system finished up.. decided to keep the 6 gal fresh water tank in the outside cabinet which is also accessible from the inside in case I need to adjust something. And a shot of the motor

IMG_4208.jpg IMG_4209.jpg IMG_4206.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
Please folk..... orient your pictures the right way BEFORE posting. Forums like these are libraries of information..... Great information ...... makes a great library.... poor information (hard to view or read etc)..... you end up with a poor library. Who visits poor libraries or reads poor books.

Other wise great subject.

eporter

Adventurer
Cool looking rig. I like my 97 E350 ambo, but the appeal of 4x4 and an accessible engine compartment make rigs like this look pretty good!

Any updates

Pangle

Wanderer
Yea for sure I enjoy working on the truck bodies better.. I had an 02 ambo E350 van also.. loved it but pain to work on

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've got a 93 GMC with a 6.5. The reputation of the engine is not unwarranted. Mine cracked its block at 104k just out of the blue. The Optimizer version of the 6.5 has a much better reputation. That's what I replaced my cracked block with.

twodollars

The real issue with any used 6.5 is you never know how it's been cared for before you got it. Great engine for fuel economy and decent power. Perfect match for the 4l80. The stocker in my burb went 300k before I replaced it, and it's still running in another truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier