Solar questions

bigskypylot

Explorer
Just a few questions here. I have a Renogy 100W solar briefcase w/o controller. I use it to charge my Yeti 400. I purchased w/o controller since it would butt heads with the Yeti controller. However, if I want to charge a second battery, I'll need one. Can I charge a second battery through the Yeti via Anderson port to charger while Yeti is hooked up to solar or when driving, I plan to do a direct connection from the alternator. Are there stand alone controllers that would connect through the use of MC4 connections etc? Thanks in advance!

Seth.

My second battery would be either a DIY system or the National Luna PPP

rayra

Expedition Leader
Don't constrict your choices over the MC4 connector, they are easy to retrofit to anything. Or make an intermediate adapter cable to suit.

I would consider a second controller anyway, mounted to the solar briefcase so it can serve as a standalone solution for yourself away from your vehicle. Just use connectors so you can add or remove the controller from the circuit with a quick plug / unplug, as desired.

Look for solutions that increase flexibility, rather than limit things or let one piece of kit dictate what else you use.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Don't constrict your choices over the MC4 connector, they are easy to retrofit to anything. Or make an intermediate adapter cable to suit.

I would consider a second controller anyway, mounted to the solar briefcase so it can serve as a standalone solution for yourself away from your vehicle. Just use connectors so you can add or remove the controller from the circuit with a quick plug / unplug, as desired.

Look for solutions that increase flexibility, rather than limit things or let one piece of kit dictate what else you use.

I was looking at the Renogy site and it looks like there is an adapter to use with a stand alone controller. Is 100W enough to keep a deep cycle topped off with a fridge and other accessories? I'd like to get a panel to mount to my vehicle for when it's sitting at times to keep battery topped when I'm away but with RTT on top, I don't have much of a space to mount it lol thanks for your input, rayra :)

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
100 watt panel will give you 5 amps of charge power when the sun is overhead. In a good day it might put a total of 30 amps back into your battery.

A 12 volt fridge when set to 40 degrees might consume about 25 amps in a 24 hour period. As long as you have good sunlight where your at, you might be able to keep the battery topped off. But if your fridge is set to freezing it might not keep up with it especially if the fridge is not full.

As far as standalone solar controllers, you can get an inexpensive 15 dollar 10 amp wincong pwm charger it will easily handle the 100 watt panel (i have used them on my 240 watt panel) they are reliable for everyday use.

The connectors I recommend are the xt60, I use them on everything in my van, including the solar panel wires that come into my van, I even had them on my 12 volt fridge. They are inexpensive, easy to solder, only connect in one way ,make a solid connection and can handle up to 60 amps, more than you will ever need.

xt60 connectors
xt60 connector large a.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
100 watt panel will give you 5 amps of charge power when the sun is overhead. In a good day it might put a total of 30 amps back into your battery.

A 12 volt fridge when set to 40 degrees might consume about 25 amps in a 24 hour period. As long as you have good sunlight where your at, you might be able to keep the battery topped off. But if your fridge is set to freezing it might not keep up with it especially if the fridge is not full.

As far as standalone solar controllers, you can get an inexpensive 15 dollar 10 amp wincong pwm charger it will easily handle the 100 watt panel (i have used them on my 240 watt panel) they are reliable for everyday use.

The connectors I recommend are the xt60, I use them on everything in my van, including the solar panel wires that come into my van, I even had them on my 12 volt fridge. They are inexpensive, easy to solder, only connect in one way ,make a solid connection and can handle up to 60 amps, more than you will ever need.

xt60 connectors
View attachment 386230

Excellent. I'd like to get something semi-permanently mounted on my Xterra but with the RTT on it, space is at a premium. Your 240w, what brand are you using? Thanks for your response :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
I was looking at the Renogy site and it looks like there is an adapter to use with a stand alone controller. Is 100W enough to keep a deep cycle topped off with a fridge and other accessories? I'd like to get a panel to mount to my vehicle for when it's sitting at times to keep battery topped when I'm away but with RTT on top, I don't have much of a space to mount it lol thanks for your input, rayra :)
well a 100W, imperfect efficiency, high latitude, you'll be lucky to get 5 Amps with a perfect deployment. So is that enough to cover your expected draws? What's the daily consumption of your devices?

as to mounting space, consider a mounting set into your interior trim panels or in your rear hatch. There's a lot of hidden / wasted volume there. Basic charge controllers are often no larger than a thick paperback book.

bigskypylot

Explorer
well a 100W, imperfect efficiency, high latitude, you'll be lucky to get 5 Amps with a perfect deployment. So is that enough to cover your expected draws? What's the daily consumption of your devices?

as to mounting space, consider a mounting set into your interior trim panels or in your rear hatch. There's a lot of hidden / wasted volume there. Basic charge controllers are often no larger than a thick paperback book.

Most likely ARB fridge or equivalent, tablet, phone, laptop, LED camp lights. No precise estimate but fridge will probably be ~20 to 24A, granted the fridge won't run continuously but it will be plugged in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior