Coleman folding stove - propane use question

TFin04

Adventurer
Hi guys, I bought a used Coleman stove that takes the 1lb propane canisters. Can you guys give me an estimate to how long 1lb lasts you?

kennedyma

I've heard that it can run for about one hour on high with both burners lit. I have one but use a 5lb tank with it so take my info with a grain of salt.

Remember you will not be cooking with both burners on high all the time so real world use will be much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoutn79

Adventurer
IIRC One lb of propane puts out 21,500 BTU's. Find out how many BTU's your burners put out then do some rough calculations. Remember unless you are boiling water you likely won't be using full BTU's when cooking.

Darrell

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Breakfast, dinner, and wash water uses almost a pound a day in my setup. I try to leave a water pot on the fire to conserve propane.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

TFin04

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

For others using larger propane tanks, do you also find that you use about 1lb per day?

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Depends on what you cook, I can get by between 3 days and a week on a 1 ib bottle depending on the meals

This is about how we run. We normally make coffee and cook breakfast, and then cook something for dinner, even if only a side dish if we grill on the fire, and then heat water for dishes. We easily get a couple of weekend trips or more out of a 1lb bottle.

::Squish::

Observer
Having a thermos around to fill with any extra hot water helps use much less gas it takes less energy to heat hot or even warm water to boiling.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
We typically do breakfast and dinner and a 1lb canister lasts us a whole weekend usually.
Now if you hate the waste of throwing away canisters (though some people refill them - I don't think it's worth the time/money/hassle to do that) you can usually get an adapter that will let you run your propane appliance off of a refillable propane bottle - 5lb, 10lb or 20lb. You can camp for a month with a 20lb bottle and refill it at any RV park and at a lot of gas stations, U-Haul, etc. We've pretty much stopped carrying the 1lb throwaway cans and instead I just lug an extra 20lb in a milk crate. Yes it's heavy and bulky but then again, I drive a Suburban so storage space isn't exactly at a premium. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles