Anybody know how to modify a lithium Jump starter??

Hydracor

A few weeks ago I bought a Noco GB150 Jump starter and it seemed like a good investment, I used it to start my buddies Dodge Ram 1500 when we were out hunting. However I've tested it on a lot of old diesels (mainly old tractors) and its never powerful enough to overcome the initial inertia of a cold engine, I've got a Massey 1200 down the end of one of my fields which has been in the crossover point on the fields for several years but it is in such a position beside a fence that I cannot for the life of me hook up any jumper cables from a vehicle to start it and I'm using some long *** cables (5.5m), and the GB150 only makes the starter click, I haven't got any spare 1400 CCA batteries lying around and I'm not spending £400 on a new one as it doesn't really need to be moved, it's just unsightly, so does anyone know a cheap way to modify the jumpack which won't ruin it?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Portable generator (or vehicle mounted inverter) + mains extension cord + mains powered battery charger with "jump start" option + lithium boost pack.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I can't help you with the jump pack, but I have started a few old and cold tractors in my day.

1) Remove the batteries from the tractor and haul them to the barn for charging.
2) Insert a small electric in-line fuel pump to make sure the entire fuel system is primed.
3) At your own risk, put a big fire resistant tarp over the engine, and apply outside heat, like a pan of charcoal, under the oil pan. If it works, you are good to go, if it fails, you burn up the tractor and don't worry anymore.
4) You can also heat water in a metal horse trough, and use a couple of hoses and one of those drill powered water pumps to circulate the water through the block ahead of time.

huachuca

Adventurer
Pull the battery out, take it to the shop and charge it. If it won't hold a full charge, get one that will; otherwise, you're wasting your time. Reinstall charged battery, spray starting fluid (ether) liberally into the air filter housing. Try to start it, if it fires, you can now deal with the issue of priming the injector pump.

Hydracor

Cheers for replying guys, tried charging the battery but it wouldn't hold a charge so in the end I just had to hook up a less powerful battery and 2 jumper packs. Amazingly the fuel system didn't need bleeding and started after 20-30 cranks.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I'd try to return it if your still in that time frame. That model isn't meant for the application your trying to use it for and modding it is probably a bad idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94