2005 Tundra with 165k, Thoughts?

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Im looking at a 2005 Tundra that has 165k on it. I have been keeping my eye out for one just like this, in this price range, but was hoping for something with less miles. The owner has replaced the water pump and timing belt in the last year, and the truck seems to be in good shape. He is asking $13800. Reasonable? Too many miles?

JLee

Adventurer
My first reaction? Holy crap.

I sold my '05 SR5 x-cab Tundra to a dealer in 2011 for $13k. It had maybe 58k on it. I paid $16k in 2008. Maybe I should have kept it...

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
I bought my 2006 DC Tundra Limited 4x4, fully loaded with everything minus nav, with 140,000KM (86,000 miles) for $14,500 Canadian, which is $11,000 USD. I bought that 3 years ago.

So ya, I'd say his price is a bit high.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
High, but not that high.
As with any other toyota, it is worth what some one is willing to pay for it in terms of the toyota tax.
There have been a few of that vintage and roughly same number of miles that have gone up for sale here in the mountains near that price range.

If you really are looking hard at it print off a copy of KBB value and one from NADA, then have the owner take it to a toyota dealership or other shop of your choosing, have them go through the truck with a fine tooth comb. Tell them you want a list of evey thing that is wrong even the stuff that looks like it might need to be replaced even if that is not right now. I knocked over a thousand bucks off a rig this way once. Best two hundred bucks I ever spent. Hand them the print out from the shop as that will have quotes for whats wrong and the print outs from NADA and KBB then get out a pile of cash and start talking.

If its a one owner truck with records that would make me feel better about it. These are great trucks, that last for a long time. The onyl thing that stands out to me is the time belt seems like it was replaced late. What does that say about the rest of the work that was done on the truck? If they hand you a stack of paper that has every oil change slip and tire rotation recipte.... well at least you know its been taken care of. Even if it is over priced. If you can get them down to 10 k that would be a much better deal. Even then, I suspect that it is above blue book.

slomatt

Adventurer
Is this the Tundra in Soquel? It seems that all Toyota Trucks in the Bay Area are 10-20% more expensive than other parts of the country, so while it may seem expensive for some areas this is unfortunately inline with other local Craigslist listings.

greygoosefj

It seems a little pricey, but they are amazing trucks that last if you take care of them. As for the miles, if its a one owner or they have all of the service records, I would not think twice about the miles. I bought a 2006 Limited Double Cab with 195,000, because it was a one owner, I knew the guy, and he had all of the service records. Do your research, print off KBB and NADA, and give it a thorough look-over. You might be able to talk him down a little, but these trucks are starting to come back into demand as they are some of the best mid-size truck platforms with V8's and plenty off-road capable.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Not necessarily a bad price if in great shape. The late timing belt is a bit of a red flag.

If this is a Bay Area truck, check the frame and entire undercarriage very carefully. They are prone to rust and I've seen Tundras in Monterey with bad rust issues. Likely a result of salty sea mist.

donrafa7

Seems slightly high, I've seen some real steals on CLIST recently. 1 owner 110k miles, 2005 4wd for 8500 (was sold within minutes). CA prices are a bit higher. I've seen some salvage junkers for about the same price. If its a good deal it will sell within hours. If its been listed for more than a day or 2 its meh

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Depends on the region.. Out here I paid 11k for my 2006 3 years ago with a fresh timing belt and tires. I could still sell it for that much with a lot more miles. Tacomas and Tundras sell within days here... must be the ski town thing.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Going to pass on this one. It was the one in Soquel and looks to have some rust issues on the body. I would definitely have offered less regardless of the rust though. Definitely a big Bay Area Toyota tax which can get ridiculous around here.

KTempleton

Observer
If willing to travel, there have been some Hella deals on DC's here in Houston. Picked up mine with 130k for $8k.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles