Vice Mount

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
not very useful - a big part of using a vice is that it holds the part in place while you work on it - that stand would move around too easily.

How about getting a piece of 2 inch receiver tubing and putting it in that? This assumes you have a vehicle with a 2 inch receiver...

BCobe

Adventurer
not very useful - a big part of using a vice is that it holds the part in place while you work on it - that stand would move around too easily.

How about getting a piece of 2 inch receiver tubing and putting it in that? This assumes you have a vehicle with a 2 inch receiver...

That's were the problem lies. I do not have a receiver on the Jeep.

BCobe

Adventurer
It would have to be bolted to your floor for maximum usefulness.

Renting a house so bolting to a floor isn't a it an option. A vice mounted to a hitch would be nice but I am going to be doing a regear on my Jeep so I don't know how stable that will be. Might be an option though.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It sounded like you are planning to use this vise to re-gear your jeep? But you don't have room for a workbench, or don't have a workbench? Is that wise? Am I misunderstanding? I've done some sketchy repairs, but I wouldn't re-gear on the ground.

If you really can't build a workbench, a 2x4 footer can be build at less than $100 with plenty of mass to hold a vise for basic work, you can always fall back on history's original solution...

Buy beer buy pizza, find friend, share beer, pizza, and workspace. Be considerate, help with some of their projects too, and you might get an open invitation.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
the rear receiver on the Jeep JK's is very inexpensive (if that is what you have) about $60 or less on sale / craigslist etc.

Happykamper

Explorer
NATERSXJ6 is absolutely right !!! Find a friend you can work projects with! The same friend will be your best expedition friend. Put a receiver on your rig and mount vice to it also... That way when friend breaks on trail you can let friend use your mobile vice !!! I would recommend your friend be Haley Bery :) just saying :)

Wilbah

Adventurer
If I am reading this the question is not for how to mount it on your vehicle for repairs on the trail but how to mount it at home so you can do some work regearing your jeep at home? I went through something similar although I do have a workbench, I just didn't figure I would use the vice often enough to have it take the space on a permanent basis. I first bought a receiver and that exact receiver vice mount from HF.....but ultimately the tube on the vice mount is pretty long and it would be somewhat awkward to use in that fashion. I ended up building a stand out of 2x4 and for some items its fine and stable enough. But for those times it will hold more weight or something that is shaped such that it causes a tipping hazard and I can bolt it/clamp it to my workbench for stability.

I also have a grinder and a polisher/wire wheel that previously lived on a bench. I have since removed them as well to free up more space. I am going to mount the receiver I got vertically to the end of the bench and then use a shorter tube with the base welded to the top of the tube (perpendicular to what the HF version shows), then when I need to use the grinder or the polisher I can throw it in the tube and I'm good to go, otherwise they live under the bench on a shelf out of the way and I have full bench space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior