RTT's, trailers and Campgrounds

dcg141

Adventurer
I have a RTT mounted on a trailer but I have never taken it to a "Campground". Its always been a boondock camp or a race or some event with pasture camping. If you go to an area with designated RV and tent sites do you have to use the RV area? For sure if the tent area is walk in only then not but in places with drive up tent camping are they allowed?

Last edited:
Depends on the campground. In the state parks (Utah) that I have been to (goblin valley, Kodachrome, Huntington) the tent camping areas had many sites that had room for two cars, many of those were configured as pull through with space for 2 vehicles. The limiting factor was total length. I have also seen this at Grand Canyon and dinosaur national monument in their non rv camp areas. The one RV park I have visited (near Zion NP) had smaller sites w/o hookups that might work for a trailer RTT setup. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I've confused many campgrounds about the RTT, but normally I just get in as a tent, even since it's been on a trailer. I've never been to walk-in tent side, but the typical tenting site is just a normally an area where you park and pitch your went anywhere on the site. I've also booked electrical sites for the electrical convenience, but I've yet to use an RV pull-through site

Last edited:

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador

Have done several nights at campgrounds. This is from a long weekend where there was more than one event going on and I had a friend driving my other more built jeep so we could do some rockcrawling as well as there was a jeep show and an organized ride the day after. We used this jeep for the basecamp. Found a great campground with super good facilities, wifi, power and close to any necessities (bars) we needed. I have had a couple of camp grounds even knock off some of their daily price because I explained that all I would use was a single 110 outlet and no water, sewer. Never hurts to ask. For sure you will get the "what the hell is on your roof" and once everything is set up "is that a tent" "where did you find that" "how much" and on and on. Out of the 5 times I've stayed at campgrounds I've never had an issue from the mgmt.

This is as deployed of a set up as I've ever ran and I took up less space than some of the mid sized pop up's with and without the slide out. Best experience was a family from Utah with a beautiful prevost bus with 6 kids in tow making a beeline for our camp. Their kids were in the tent, the annex, the awning room, the jeep. Every night we got back they wanted to come over to the "jungle jeep" It's a conversation starter for sure when people are used to only seeing their own kind.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Booking provincial campgrounds in British Columbia I usually book longer sites because the provincial booking system asks if you're in a trailer and if you meed hookups.

I just describe my set up when phoning campgrounds as a small tent trailer with no hookups. 95% of the time they put me in a car camping tent site (not walk in)

jtakau

Most of my camping with my RTT has actually been on various campinggrounds and I have always checked in as "car and a tent". Never had any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz