Canopy and bed storage recommendations

Lazzer

Sorry if this question is over-asked, if anyone can send me to a thread like this I'll gladly delete this one.

Hey everyone, looking to get into the overland and expedition style with my truck. I've got a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB, and right now I'm in the process at looking at canopies or other bed storage ideas. I live in Canada, so I don't think a soft canopy would work out too well with the snow and coldness. Does anyone have any recommendations on canopies or bed racks and accessories/attachments for those that they'd be willing to spare? I mostly go to and from the lake with a kayak or boat, so a rack would be optimal, as well as I'm looking to make rod tubes for my 1 piece rods. I'll be doing a fair amount of camping in the back of the truck and I have looked into sleeping solutions in the bed, as well as roof top tents. There's a lot of options, and its a little overwhelming, so I'm just looking for a bit of guidance. Any little bit helps!

Thanks

Cletus26

Adventurer
Built this for a boat and tent.
0f7f0f6dcac7f07357d7c9d12f80a2fb.jpg
65d0b2e77e7b48e3233c6e39079b0c73.jpg

Lazzer

That looks awesome! I'm pretty jealous of your rig, any tips on making that kind of rack, or one that can go around a canopy, or one that I could use a bed tent with, that hinges similarly? I'm no es beuno with fabrication but I have a buddy that works as a heavy duty mechanic I might be able to enlist.

Cletus26

Adventurer
That's my cousins rig. I'm actually in edmonton too. To be honest that one didn't last as we used too light of steel but have plans to build another one soon. I just built this one for my 13' tundra that allows me to maintain the use of my Truxedo cover and the cross bars are removable to be able to use the box as needed. It would be fairly simple to add a hinged top for a boat but it would be a little less sleek when removed (some bracket would be welded to one side rail).
f456e085905a635b9d5a3467ec692b00.jpg
944bb7e5ca91ae5eb5b5c4535135664a.jpg
df76f6230aedc4852a9e9cc0f7b22170.jpg
I'm in the process of making another rack for my 02 tundra that will be quite different as well. Hope to have pictures in the next few weeks

Lazzer

Would you recommend a rack that wraps around a canopy for storage or stick to just a bed rack? I'm currently weighing out the options while saving up money

Eliashayes

Hi there, canopies is the best way to provide shelter for you or your bikes. I agree that soft canopy will not work well for you. I don't have much knowledge about canopy, but recently my older brother bought a new canopy from Spinlife for his mobility scooter. I think this can help you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94