Titan marketshare

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I'd love to see more effort with the Titan from Nissan. I love mine. I see so many ford and chevy truck commercials, but very few Titan ones on TV. A greater market share would translate into greater aftermarket support and options for us to mod them.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think the problem Triplesnake is that Nissan and Toyota are trying to take on the Big 3 head-to-head. Toyota has an incredible reputation so has made headway but both will never supplant Chevy, Ford and Dodge domestically. So IMHO for aftermarket support Nissan should be selling global vehicles here so that ARB isn't looking at 10K units annually but 100K globally, for example. The Tacoma enjoys huge aftermarket support because the numbers are there. The Frontier, too, for the same reason. If you flip it over there's not a ton of Colorado/Canyon support yet because they are relatively small potatoes.

I think the Titan will never get the love because it's a very small specialty fish in a large pond. OTOH a Patrol ute sold here would be different. I know I tilt at windmills, but a Toyota 70-series or Nissan Y62 pickup or trayback sure seem like real competition, as work trucks anyway. It's a chicken-and-egg problem and until the bros can get lift kits and road armor bumpers they won't even look at the Titan. Maybe Nissan needs to offer customization to get the ball rolling.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
My wife drives a 2010 Titan and we love it. I would get a XD Diesel if the price were a bit more reasonable but just can't justify $60k for a truck. Maybe in a few years when the used ones start hitting the market but for now I'm priced out of the game.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, Nissan's introduction of a diesel is certainly a bold move, and indicates that they're upping the ante in terms of challenging the big boys in the full sized market.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I think Nissan dropped it on the new XD. Payload weight is LOW, sadly low IMO, and the diesel fuel economy isn't as good as people were expecting out of a diesel.

kurtwp

Armchair Adventurer
On the diesel yes the payload is terrible but if you went to the gas it much better. Over a ton but 26gal gas tank on a gaser way to small even if the new gaser has that variable engine cylinder tech.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I think Nissan dropped it on the new XD. Payload weight is LOW, sadly low IMO, and the diesel fuel economy isn't as good as people were expecting out of a diesel.

This.

Also the user reviews I am seeing are not inspiring. It took nissan 5 years to fix a vehicle killing radiator issue, maybe in 6 or 7 years they will have the XD bugs worked. I have faith in that cummins. I hope someone finds a suitable platform where it can preform in the 30mpg range.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I think the big factor for the Titan XD Diesel is the towing capacity. IIRC, it's higher than 1500/150 capacities, but lower than 2500/250s. I'd have to relook to confirm, but that's what I was remember seeing. In terms of the interior, the Titan was definitely better.

However, based on what I think we're going to be using it for (towing my Xterra and two BMW motorcycles, plus a slide in camper in the bed), I just don't think the Titan will cut it. Have to step up to the Silverado 2500 HD Diesel.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I think the big factor for the Titan XD Diesel is the towing capacity. IIRC, it's higher than 1500/150 capacities, but lower than 2500/250s. I'd have to relook to confirm, but that's what I was remember seeing. In terms of the interior, the Titan was definitely better.

However, based on what I think we're going to be using it for (towing my Xterra and two BMW motorcycles, plus a slide in camper in the bed), I just don't think the Titan will cut it. Have to step up to the Silverado 2500 HD Diesel.

Nissan's thing was to try and get a niche between 1/2t and 3/4t so the rating is more than standard 1/2t pickup. After driving a F250 for the last 8 years (an '05 that was stolen and a '11 currently), both diesels, I'm looking for something a bit smaller just due to parking/maneuverability and really like the wife's Titan. We've had Nissans as one of our vehicles for the last 25 years and have had great luck with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior