Driven To Wander - Vancouver to Patagonia

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Tulum, Mexico

Rain is coming....

34612932812_5cfbe6e124_o.jpg

skfitz

Hi Mccustomize,

We will write more in our blog but I wish everything about Cuba was as beautiful as these classic cars. It was heartbreaking to see how difficult the life of ordinary folks was. Most of the buildings are crumbling and desperate need of repair, there are lines for everything, shelf of the supermarkets filled with crackers and soaps only. I think tourism money could not reach there soon enough. With all that hardship, people are still smiling, singing and dancing.

I wish the USA had more beautiful, classic cars to go with its well-maintained structures and embarrassingly overstocked supermarket shelves. But it was heartbreaking to see all of the obese people there, hardly any of them smiling or singing with contentedness, and no one dancing in the street. It's a beautiful, sad place.

-A Cuban
:)

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Lake Bacalar, Quintana Roo, Mexico

On the way to Lake Bacalar, google map suggested an alternative road we thought it could be interesting. We ended up in a jungle, one way road. Last 2 miles took us an hour.

34093644314_d450589ed2_o.jpg

But we ended up here.

34126264813_5a4156bda7_o.jpg

34773268812_afdf05e9e6_o.jpg

34125062783_be3259dbd8_o.jpg

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
This is awesome! You guys are doing what we are planing for next year. Let's hook up when you are back in Vancouver :)

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Cenotes, the best way to cool off in Yucatan Peninsula!

It has been really hot lately here in Yucatan Peninsula. Even the Caribbean Sea is not cool enough to cool us off. Luckily there are hundreds of cenotes here we can take a dip in. Did you know that they were created by the same meteor that killed the dinosaurs? Impact was so severe that it crack the limestone crust of the earth and subterranean water created these crystal clear natural pools.

34093375814_c787a7b758_o.jpg

34126177713_173e4bdcfe_o.jpg

34804464831_ddb10fd0a0_o.jpg

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Hello Belize...

Just minutes from the Mexican border, we found ourselves on a lonely dirt road that led us to a hand cranked ferry. Locals asked us do we have a dog. It turns out, jungle is full of Jaguars and crocodiles and dogs are their favorite prey. Gulp!!!

34695209600_e0b855aa3d_o.jpg

34271733043_93e33b29f8_o.jpg

35081950605_ab518293b0_o.jpg

34695601960_b6ca9bb710_o.jpg

34951771931_8eece42683_o.jpg

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Best City Camping Ever, then Butterflies - Part I

34959940872_d6b2582032_o.jpg

We knew the roads in Guanajuato were tricky, especially the google-chosen route to the one-an-only city campground. So we were on pins and needles as I helped choose roads and guide Okan through the narrow streets and old tunnels of the city. Very stressful, but very rewarding when we arrived with no bumps or bruises. At one point we had to wait behind a city bus making a 3-point turn to get around a curve. Can you imagine that being a part of your daily bus route! Cars were backed up in both directions waiting for the bus to navigate the narrow passage.
But, something about pulling into the campground, which is basically a parking lot, was feeling good and I started looking forward to this city camping thing. This surprised me because when leaving the lake view, swimming pool, and grounds of the previous campground I was mildly anxious about it.

34314381953_748ac60187_o.jpg

All the spaces but one were full, and we were thanking our lucky stars to have gotten that last space. We had new neighbours from Brazil, Canada, Australia, and France in addition to the Mexican family that owned the parking lot…I mean campsite.

34993836951_3eba828452_o.jpg

Once parked, Okan was almost immediately in conversation with the other campers, talking about rigs and repairs. He was able to loan some tools to help with some in-progress electrical repairs going on amongst our new neighbours. Was nice to immediately feel part of a team upon arrival. Our Brazilian neighbours Luciano and Caina, were tent campers, for which I have much admiration. They noticed my excitement about their low-tech setup and were curious why that pleased me so much. My parents were backcountry hikers/campers, often taking trips on the Appalachian trail. That background led me to perhaps unfairly look down on car-camping and anything that allowed one to take a cooler of beer into the woods. Ironic, now that I am here in a sweet truck/camper setup with sink, oven, stove top, fridge, and many other perks. I have overly romanticized roughing it perhaps, but I still get jazzed when I meet folks traveling with only tents between them and the elements.

35005343892_6574928a67_o.jpg

Another nice thing about our setup, was that we could see over the campsite wall and look at the view from our bed. A nice perk too when the rains started, giving me a nice place to read or play with Indigo, while listening to the rain on the very waterproof roof. The view from our campsite was so picturesque. I had seen this view on so many websites and blogposts of other campers, and to actually be here was somewhat surreal. I wondered if the town would live up to all the hype surrounding it.

35088672546_f90448a63d_o.jpg

We walked down twisty roads (with several almost twisty ankles), and small alleys with Indigo in the carrier, and entered one of the long dark tunnels scattered throughout the town. We would take this tunnel many times over the next several days, and by the end of our stay, the scariness and creepiness of it faded away. We would soon be able to navigate the parts where the tunnel lights were broken without our flashlights quite well. We emerged just a few blocks from the city center. We had no camera with us, and wanted to kick ourselves for such a brain lapse. The sky was dotted with puffy clouds turning beautiful shades of pink and orange in the setting sun, hanging over gorgeous colonial buildings and cobblestone streets. Even the throngs of tourists and people milling about couldn’t detract from the beauty of this town.

35039653991_e59d20c47c_o.jpg

I have seen many cathedrals, traveling around Italy and other places, and didn’t think it possible to have the words “Oh, Wow!” escape my lips when seeing yet another grand building, but yet they did here. Especially when turning the corner and seeing the University building. There were also many quaint shops with brightly coloured dolls, puppets and masks, and a large number of references and statues dedicated to Don Quixote.

35131023586_c027b9b0a9_o.jpg

35131082176_09067b043e_o.jpg

We saw street performers on the first night we were here. A band marching down the street, with people in elaborate costumes following and dancing behind them. Guanajuato even has its own “bushman”, a much more polished version than the homeless man at San Francisco Wharf who I used to watch scare the bejesus out of unsuspecting tourists. The vibe of the town made us feel like we were in a combination of Paris, Venice, and Rome.

35047663631_7aa1ee53dc_o.jpg

35005433302_0235f9b551_o.jpg

The street food was good too, and inexpensive…so not really like Europe in that respect. We popped into the market as well, and were a bit overwhelmed by all the choices, and chaos. I kept searching the isles for something to organize our food storage area inside the camper, a battle that still rages today each time I open the door to get a snack. The market had a stall with every size, shape, and colour of plastic container, and I thought would find something. But we came out empty handed, with the exception of many photos of life at the market, and the delicious items to eat.

34959929832_c4c58703be_o.jpg

34959931542_651a66d158_o.jpg

35084971046_e757474a58_o.jpg

On the sadder side of our sight seeing, we saw a handful of women begging in doorways with their babies and toddlers, and we would see more of these women in other mountain towns in Mexico. But here they keep their heads completely covered in a shaw, so you could only see their extended hand. I’ve tried to research the reason for this, and have come up empty handed, outside finding some photos of these women, or “Marias”, on stock photo sites.
We checked out the mummy museum while here, which looked quite close and a nice walk on the map, if you didn’t account for the hills. For the 5 minutes I was able to read a panel or look at a display, it was really fascinating. The rest of the time was spent chasing Indigo who only wanted to play hide and seek in the dark and eery rooms. He wasn’t scared at all of the very very dead people with their gruesome hollow faces and expressions of agony. He still talks about the museum, and for a while he thought all dead people were called mummies. He is the easiest kid in the world to talk about sensitive topics, he just listens to the information, and rolls with it. We remembered the camera this day, but the batteries ran out shortly after arriving at the museum so we only have a few snaps.

34279983394_4af2dfcb08_o.jpg

I was nervous thinking that we’d be hitting yet another mountain town right after this experience, but Indigo was doing really well and enjoying touring the streets without much fuss, as long as he could eat popcorn. Okan’s back on the other hand was not doing so well (and still isn’t). Something we’ll have to figure out before we get to Patagonia where we hope to hike into the mountains…we’ve got some time before we get there to get in shape, or maybe start that yoga on which we are still lagging, but Indigo will also be bigger and heavier!

35039651941_9590b375f2_o.jpg

Back at the campsite, Indigo played with the owner’s grandsons, and it was interesting to see the social dynamic unfold. There was a bit of two-against-one going, and I was transported back in time to my own grade-school years where the dynamic of three can get a bit unpredictable and tricky to navigate. But for the most part, the boys spent their time helping each other pound old nails/screws into old boards they found laying around the lot, using rocks as hammers. I can’t believe they didn’t smash their fingers, and if they did, they were definitely keeping it mum, so they could keep on playing.
Guanajuato is the site of our very first “camper dance party”, which would be the first of many. It started with Indigo playing on his piano, and getting Okan to dance along to Yankee Doodle (a preset song on his piano) saying “listen to this great rock and roll song, can you hear the bamming of the drums?” We have re-directed his music tastes somewhat since then, and he’s now a big fan of Michael Jackson and the Blues Brothers.

34993803421_a1b009b86c_o.jpg

We said our goodbyes to our fellow campers, exchanging information with the hope we’d see them again down the road, and headed for San Miguel Allende. We were pretty irritable because we kept passing streets, unable to find the entrance to the campground that’s in the middle of town, hidden somewhere on narrow one way streets while Indigo was wailing away in the back seat. We finally found the door, and it was such a tight fit, we barely squeezed the truck through. We later learned that there was a bigger door on the other side of the campground. We recuperated by taking ourselves out to dinner. We loved our first meal in a small corner restaurant, and enjoyed a rainy walk home to the camper.

35005431412_de89cdff29_o.jpg

It rained on and off a lot in San Miguel, but not like the downpours we had in Guanajuato. Indigo enjoyed walking in the rain for the puddle jumping, which was thankfully saving Okan’s back a bit. I noticed in San Miguel that windows everywhere were decorated with ribbons of all colours, and styles, many with tiny bells on the end, jiggling in the breeze. Here is one of the better shots, but I still hope to make a collage of all the windows photographed one day.

35005342692_0c21b395a2_o.jpg

We were thrilled to see everyone from the Guanajuato Campground show up in the San Miguel campground. We cooked breakfast for our tenting Brazilian friends, to give them a break from food prep in the rain. Indigo had already warmed to them, shouting “my friends are here!” when he saw them. But as always, he’d gotten so warm that he basically moved into their campsite, taking his camping chair with him for his visits. But with Luciano and Caina, it feels like extended family and it was much easier for us to relax while he was with them. We knew they would send him home when they needed their private time.
We headed off to walk around town, and even fit in a couple of open air and free museums around town. I noticed while walking many day spas nestled in quaint alleys, and upscale shops, and nice cafes. It’s a town full of expats, and modern conveniences.

35170353745_ee663c429a_o.jpg

I heard about the bell chimes in San Miguel, but I didn’t realize just how much and often they would be ringing, starting at 7am. The number of chimes didn’t relate to the current time, they were not the same number of chimes each time, and I was determined to figure out the pattern, so I religiously started counting chimes every time they sounded. This gave me a bit of a project every morning, and every 30 minutes thereafter for several hours, as well as in the evening. I counted between 55 and 111 chimes, with no rhyme or reason relating to the given time. So then, I timed the chimes. I finally concluded that they ring them for about 60 seconds every 30 minutes, and some guys are just faster at pulling the rope attached to the bell than other guys. This might or might not be the case, but I don’t know what keywords in Google will lead me to the answer. To solidify the notion that perhaps I’m a little nutty with quantifying things, I also counted my steps when walking through the Guanajuato tunnel to town (about 700 steps on average in case you are wondering).

We were really happy that both our city camping experiences went so well, and we really enjoyed our time. Gave us confidence that we could also manage a good time while camping in our first parking lot, which is where our next campsite would be.

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Best City Camping Ever, then Butterflies - Part II

34993798591_408d64796b_o.jpg

We had been wrestling with whether to go to see the butterflies in the mountain town of Ocampo for over a week, and I finally convinced Okan that we needed to go for it, or I would regret it (and therefore he would) for the rest of our trip and possibly our lives. All the guide books said the butterflies were around between January and March, but no where did they day March 1st, March 30th, or somewhere in between. We didn’t want to do the long drive if there were none flying about. So I researched the hell out of it, writing hotel owners/tour guides near the sites, finding information on their migration paths, etc. I got nothing but vague answers, because there is no pre-set date that the butterflies decide they need to all hit the road and fly to north america. We were banking on the “we took a group yesterday, and they were very pleased” as the closet thing to confirmation that the butterflies would still be there. Seems with climate changes, and food supply changes, etc…these things are very very variable.

We were getting a bit irritated at all the tolls along the way to the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary near the town of el Rosario. Sometimes only 5 minutes would go by, before you’d be at another toll booth scrambling for change. But given the horror stories about the number of topes (bumps) on the non-toll roads, we decided to pay up for the faster driving. On the way up the mountain, the steepness and the roughness of the road, combined with the massive elevation gain was giving Machete a heap of trouble. The transmission temperature was rising too high, so we had to pull over to let her cool down. The problem was finding a place to pull over, as the road was so narrow, and overhanging a cliff, and traffic was both directions. Okan was on edge, and at this point still wasn’t convinced that the butterfly excursion would be worthwhile.

35039652951_991559d633_o.jpg

We got to the parking lot of the butterfly sanctuary and boy was it cold! I broke out my hat and mittens. We hoped it would help us sleep and be well rested for the big hike ahead of us in the morning. We did the opposite of common sense, which would have been taking the horses up the mountain and walking down. We decided to walk up, which was really rough as I was already ailing from altitude sickness, taco de carnitas sickness, or a combination of both.
Thankfully we were paired with the best guide for which you could ask. She noticed I was struggling, and stepped off the trail into the woods to find a good sturdy walking stick for me. Later still when I couldn’t breathe and was feeling nauseous, she went into the woods again, picked and crushed a herb into her hands, and made me put it under my nose. Finally she insisted on taking my backpack, and then took Indigo’s hand and walked him up the mountain, chatting and pointing out butterflies and plants along the way.

35178670225_d7f9e6043d_o.jpg

35139137706_8fb630b530_o.jpg

Once to the top, I sprawled out on the meadow on my back trying not to puke, and just stared at the thousands of butterflies taking flight around us. It was simply amazing. Okan must have taken hundreds of photos that day. To think that one of the guides said that their numbers were very diminished this late in the season. I can’t imagine what it looks like at the height of the breeding season. The horse ride down was actually quite rough. On such a steep decline, it’s hard work stopping yourself from launching forward and tumbling off the horse.

33387013172_1ba50fb401_b.jpg

33415115901_9f1f25cd5b_b.jpg

33502835486_9ae17e159b_b.jpg

33386959782_febfe7bfa7_b.jpg

On our drive out of the parking lot, we bumped into Adrian and Lorraine, our neighbours in the previous two towns, who were just arriving. They were just a stones throw away from the parking lot and we wondered why they were stopped on the side of the road. Their RV just couldn’t make it up the last bit of hill, making us appreciate our sturdy truck even more. Luckily they were able to sleep there for the night without issue, and see the butterflies the next day.

33502887776_a36e59e977_b.jpg

32700124864_9fff5d2cb8_b.jpg

On the drive down the mountain, we must have gone a different route, because we didn’t go through the mining town with the crazy twisty steep roads. Instead we went through the small town of Ocampo that was having a market day. Our only difficulties on the drive down, was that the ropes and tents across the road were so low as we passed each stall, that the locals had to raise them with long poles so we could get through.

As we drove to our next town we were feeling great about having made the detour to see the butterflies. Okan thanked me for not giving up and pushing him to go there. I wrestled with my altitude sickness and migraine on the remainder of the drive, but was feeling great that everything had turned out well for us in the end.

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Belizean Fire Ants

How can such a tiny creature have such a painful bite! I accidentally stepped close to their nest other day and my leg stung for hours.

35209855426_3e60744f1c_o.jpg

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Teotihuacan and Mexico City

35598335856_450f56cfdb_b.jpg

Now that we were pros at city camping, we headed to Teotihuacan with confidence, to camp in yet another city campground. Our trip to Teotihuacan and the nearby Mayan ruins, would be punctuated by a side trip to a Mexico City AirBnB apartment, while our camper stayed safely tucked away at the campground. The Teotihuacan campground was located on the edge of town, fenced and secure, with lots of green space, and multiple campers already awaiting the return of their owners in the corner. We settled in easily and set up our camper right next to the swing set, a nice bonus for Indigo.

35748809265_3a78019ed1_o.jpg

The next morning we woke early-ish, reminded each other to bring some water bottles for our trip to the ruins, jumped in a taxi, and quickly passed through the entrance, only to realize we'd forgotten to bring our water bottles. The water issue was quickly forgotten as we heard this crazy loud roaring sound just a couple feet behind us. After almost falling down a flight of steep stairs from the startling noise, we realized it came from a vendor selling carved jaguar whistles. We would eventually become numb to the roar of the jaguar whistles throughout our day, as they were being proffered about every 10 feet.

We declined making a purchase, and set out to conquer the largest pyramid, the Pyramid of the Sun. We were (and continue to be) very tired and achy from carrying Indigo about, so we hyped this adventure as his entry into big-boy hiking. It must have worked because Indigo hiked, with his backpack, to the top of the pyramid and back down all by himself. Although it saved Okan's back for the day, it shot our nerves while trying to stay vigilant for a tumble as he climbed steps that were practically taller than he was. Once on the top, he showed no fear by walking too close for our comfort for a look over the side.

34828679533_3e3bf3f03f_b.jpg

34796400864_c217878018_b.jpg

We got back to the bottom and headed for the Pyramid of the Moon. Without water and no place to buy some, I decided to skip climbing the next pyramid, lest I be inclined to drink what was left in Indigo's sippy cup. Also, the crowds were getting bigger, and my legs a little weaker, so I just admired it from the bottom.

35598239866_60af8eda82_b.jpg

I decided instead to make a solo trek up one of the small pyramids to sit and dangle my feet over the edge for a rest. Indigo decided to chase me, and before Okan could catch him, made his own solo assent. Okan stayed away from any and all edges, and took pictures from below. Indigo and I are definitely the climbers and dare devils in our little family.

35598224056_6fce9f2907_b.jpg

35598214286_6c717cf0cb_b.jpg

We saw Aiden and Lorraine while here, a couple with whom we shared both our city campgrounds of Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende, and saw them at the butterfly sanctuary. Not sure what got into me that day, but I decided to sneak up behind Aiden and pretend to steal his camera. What other way is there to say “why hello there!” to fellow travelers? The look on Aiden's face was priceless, and I'm certainly glad he recognized my face before releasing his wrath on what he thought was a very unwise potential thief. We would get to know Aiden and Lorraine even better back at the campground, where I realized my prank couldn't have landed on a better person. Both Aiden and Lorraine have an easy laid back nature, and are quick to smile and laugh.

35498437730_91670926d7_b.jpg

Unlike the jaguar roars at the ruins, we weren't able to get used to the extremely noisy city camping here. It was dreadful. It was a national holiday, which one we do not know, but that meant loud music and fireworks throughout the day and night, which in turn set off the dogs barking throughout the day and night. I wear hearing aids in both ears, and am able to take them out at night, but even for me it was constant and deafening all through the night.

Also enjoying the sounds of the city with us, were an amazing couple from Quebec, traveling with their four children in a small RV. I'm still in awe at how well they travel, and how they exuded calm and ease while coordinating the many activities (meal prep, car washing, creative play, yoga, colouring, etc.) for four kids. Indigo played with them a lot, and there was nothing we could do to keep him away. Each morning we watched him set up his camp chair, facing their door, waiting for them to come out. He has some major stalker issues we'll have to tackle. Okan and I were so busy trying to get things setup for Mexico City, that we perhaps let him invade their family time a bit more than we should have. Most families wave my concerns off, saying “it's no problem”….but I still wonder sometimes.

35591371072_9d45e6a6d9_b.jpg

The town of Teotihuacan had a crazy packed marketplace with many people out and about on the streets each day. It didn't seem to matter if it was a weekend or weekday, the town was always bustling. We were able to get decent fresh fruit and even fresher meats, such as whole chickens replete with feet. This reminded me of a little fact I learned while we lived in Singapore, that the USA is one of the leading exporters of chicken feet, otherwise known as chicken paws. You'd be hard pressed to find an American who eats chicken feet, but you will find plenty of people who eat them in other countries. I didn't see chicken feet on many menus in Mexico, so not sure how much they are consumed here. I also tried sushi for the first time since crossing the border. There was a sushi restaurant right next to the campsite teasing me each day with it's photos of spicy tuna rolls. Not too bad, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with the limes provided with my rolls. Overall we liked the town of Teotihuacan, and hoped the experience of a busy, non-expat town, would prepare us for the bustle of Mexico City.

35031968013_f1fbe6fdd8_b.jpg

35022939874_46d58aa54e_o.jpg

35801193816_d8c758ca18_b.jpg

Although the bus to Mexico City was just a couple blocks away from our campsite, we opted to take Uber directly to our AirBnB's doorstep located on the outer loop of Mexico City. Driving a camper truck in the city would have been impossible, along with navigating the no-driving days based on license plates, and days of the week. We would get a chance to see how the backpackers survive without their own wheels.

One of the main reasons we we stayed outside of the downtown area, was to get our travel vaccinations at the clinic in the airport terminal. They had all vaccines in stock, and the clinic was recommended by a friend. This unfortunately left us quite far from the rest of everything else in Mexico City. But we rationalized that the metro station was close by, and we could get to centre city and elsewhere fairly easily….so we thought.

35023521894_4608e1c146_o.jpg

I wanted to eek something productive out of our first day, and throw in a little adventure, so we jumped on the train and headed to the children's museum. The short walk to the station was hot, made hotter by 2 wrong turns in the matter of 3 city blocks (yeah I know…we can get lost walking down a flight of stairs) and it was nice to head into the underground. The metro was pretty straight forward and mucho cheap…just 30 cents per rider with unlimited stops and connections, Indigo free. We took two trains, and discovered there are areas on the platform reserved for just women and children. I thought that was nice, but also wondered why it was needed in the first place. We got a little more lost trying to walk from the station to the museum, and arrived with only 1.5 hours until the museum closed. We still managed to get in a fair amount, and I would have come for another day, but the price was a bit too steep for us to do it again.

Of course I was beating myself up for not taking the Uber direct to the door of the museum to give us more time there. We decided the metro was too hectic for the return trip, and took Uber back to the apartment. This was our first glimpse of traffic going through the downtown area, and it was bumper to bumper during the entire drive. The rumours were true…traffic in Mexico City is a nightmare.

We took public transportation again the next morning to get our vaccinations. One train, a medium walk to the terminal, then a shuttle bus to the other terminal (they wouldn't allow non-ticket holders to take the train between terminals). A 1.5 hour commute, and we were considered “close” to the airport. We got lost again in the airport terminal looking for the clinic, finally found it, and discovered the physician at the clinic has a thriving practice with regular patients and there were no open appointment times until after we were leaving. Oops.

Vaccination Plan B would have to wait for now. Determined to get something out of this day, we took a regular taxi 1.5 hours from the airport to the centre of town. We didn't Uber this time, because we couldn't figure out where the pick up location at the terminal was, and well…there were dozens of taxis sitting right in front of us. We walked around the main square admiring the buildings and even popped into a free museum. I must admit that we weren't enjoying the sights that much, because we were stressed about the day's events. Well, I was stressed about wasted time, the location of our AirBnB, and everything else. Okan on the other hand, was just taking pictures and would probably start thinking of Plan B after we got home. Getting home was another 1 hour Uber ride.

35748865915_4418462a03_o.jpg

35031960983_e0a887fde1_o.jpg

35748857775_fa6277f1d8_o.jpg

35579435882_4cf09b05a0_o.jpg

Okan indeed sorted out Plan B that evening and made appointments at Passport Health, an American based company located in the high-end part of town. We are loving Uber by this time, and had a nice ride, albeit a long 1.5 hours to the clinic. The mints and bottled water provided by Uber drivers was starting to feel very normal for a taxi ride. We got lots of great information, and I was relieved that I didn't have to make any decisions about which vaccines to give Indigo. Since he's under 6, he can't have any except the Yellow Fever vaccine. Instead we will rely on Vitamin B1 and Bug Spray to keep him safe. Also we hear that we should drink bottled mineral/gas water instead of bottled still water to be additionally safe.

We were now in the ritzy part of town, which perhaps explains why the vaccines were double the cost of those at the airport clinic. I felt like we were on a San Francisco street, lots of swanky dressed people, modern buildings, and quaint cafes. We popped into a modern looking cafe to celebrate executing Plan B and getting our vaccines completed. I saw Pad Thai on the menu and instantly started craving it. Oh how I shouldn't have! Didn't taste anything like Pad Thai. I was blinded by the feeling of being back home, and should have thought twice when Pad Thai is not next to 5 other variations of Pad Thai, but rather next to spaghetti, and hamburgers, and fish tacos.

We next headed to Kidzania, an experience for kids we heard was not to be missed. Kidzania is a city built to a small scale for kids, with everything that a city has: stores, public and private services, roads, banks, hospital, etc. Kids train for a career, perform their job, and receive a paycheck. Then they get to spend their money on tangible Kidzania items and experiences. Annual members even get direct deposit into their Kidzania bank accounts and pay Kidzania Income Taxes!

Indigo went straight to the fire station to become a fire fighter. He watched his training video, learned how to put on his gear, and properly hold a fire hose. Just as the training session concludes, the firehouse ALARM rang! Oh no, a fire for the kids to put out..what perfect timing! They newly minted firefighters jumped into their truck and drove to a burning building in the Kidzania city center. The kids each dashed to a hose from which they sprayed actual water on the house until it “poof” went out (dry ice for the effects I believe). The crowd cheers and the firefighters head to the station to pick up their paychecks. I have never seen such happiness on Indigo's face, and he retells the story of how they put out the fire with such passion…still!

35617529141_7c8173ac42_o.jpg

35748832425_b26cfd4550_o.jpg

35617536301_ba0ba6e722_o.jpg

He also got to work as a mechanic, once changing tires, another time changing oil and transmission fluids. He used his well-earned money on a baking class, and then a motorcycle ride. Okan and I were exhausted running around trying to help translate between Indigo and the staff, but it was definitely a good day.

34939195563_b2ba3db6ce_o.jpg

[
35579460262_d3fb22c72b_o.jpg

The next day we went to the hospital, spending another 1.5 hours with Uber. I was getting my every 3-month blood draw. Perhaps a quick explanation of why this was required would help here. I had my thyroid removed just before we left on our trip, and now must take medications to regulate hormones…for the rest of my life. Blah, I am a walking pre-existing condition, nervous to return to the USA. But Canadian health care rocks, and my doctors allow me to send results back via email, and track my progress remotely. Surprisingly, blood results in Mexico are processed immediately, in the order received by the lab technicians, and handed to the actual patient. Could you imagine how sweet that would be in the USA, to be able to get your own results at the lab, instead of asking your doctor to release them to you? Also, no insurance was needed to manage the extremely reasonable costs. We've had this same efficient, professional, and reasonably priced care everywhere we've gone in Mexico.

We were quite finished with Mexico City by this time, and very happy to leave the following day. In the weeks following our visit, I really labored over what we could have done differently to have made it less hectic and more enjoyable. If I had it to do all over, I would have opted for a place in the center of the city, called ahead for appointments, and mapped out one outing for each day. What I would not change for a moment was relying on Uber. Uber makes getting around the city much more pleasant, and since you'll be sitting in traffic a lot, it lets you comfortably admire the murals painted on the overpasses and buildings that are scattered all over the city. We returned home to our camper in Teotihuacan, in what would be our last Uber ride for quite some time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles